Taraf, Baransu file criminal complaint against PM Erdoğan


Date posted: December 10, 2013

Today’s Zaman, İSTANBUL

The Taraf daily and journalist Mehmet Baransu have filed a criminal complaint against Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan over charges of involvement in an “attempt to influence a fair trial,” slander and insult. The daily and Baransu also filed a TL 50,000 compensation case against PM Erdoğan for non-pecuniary damages.

Taraf’s and Baransu’s lawyer, Veysel Ok, who submitted a petition to the İstanbul Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office, said in the petition that Prime Minister Erdoğan had accused Taraf and Baransu of treason over a news article they wrote, titled “The decision to finish off Gülen was made at 2004’s MGK [National Security Council],” and had made slanderous and insulting remarks about the journalist and the daily during a speech in Tekirdağ on Dec. 7.

Earlier this month, Taraf published news reports that included controversial MGK documents showing that Erdoğan’s government was involved in profiling individuals from various religious groups and had undersigned a covert plot against Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen and the Hizmet movement inspired by Gülen. The publication of the MGK records by Taraf drew strong reactions from Erdoğan, who said those documents were state secrets and publishing them is thus an act of treason.

Speaking to a crowd of supporters in Tekirdağ, Erdoğan made reference to the leaked confidential documents that Taraf had published and said: “I now see that some media groups are working hand-in-hand. These groups couldn’t even come together until recently. Exposing state secrets is not a freedom but absolutely treasonous to the country and homeland.”

Noting that there was confidentiality involved in the MGK decisions, Erdoğan said: “The state also has privacy just like families. When you violate this, the judiciary has to take the necessary action. If the judiciary does not perform its duty, then it is committing a constitutional crime.”

Just one day before Erdoğan’s speech, prosecutors launched an investigation into Taraf and Baransu for publishing the leaked national security documents.

The petition also said that although Erdoğan is critical of Taraf’s report on the MGK documents, he refused to call out a similar report published by the Akit daily on April 29, 2010, which revealed that Turkey’s intelligence organization was involved in profiling individuals close to religious groups.

Source: Today's Zaman , December 10, 2013


Related News

Turkey’s harsh new reality: the gateway to Jihad Central

The capture of notorious Australian Islamic State recruiter Neil Prakash highlights an uncomfortable new reality for Turkey: it has become the gateway to Jihad Central.

Barton: Erdoğan intoxicated by power, imperiling democracy in Turkey

Professor Greg Barton, acting director of the Centre for Islam and the Modern World at the Melbourne-based Monash University has expressed his concerns about the course of events in Turkey in terms of basic rights and democracy.

Gülen lawyer denies claims of shooting movie about Erdoğan family

A lawyer for Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, Nurullah Albayrak, has denied claims that the scholar or his sympathizers are shooting a movie about Turkey’s prime minister and his family.

Turkish authorities unlawfully arrest woman with twin babies over alleged Gülen links

Turkish authorities yesterday arrested Merve Hande Kayış, the mother of three children including 13-month-old twins, for alleged links to the Gülen movement in violation of the country’s laws.

Fethullah Gulen: Violence can not be a remedy for violence

BAHADIR BERK Interpreting the violent events in France for Aksiyon, Fethullah Gulen said: “Intelligence organizations should work in Turkey more sensitively. Violence should be suppressed even before it gets out of its slot. If you exhaust your power with delusions such as ‘It is possible that these will pose a threat in the future. Let […]

Volunteer website serves as reference tool about Hizmet movement

A website established and run by a group of Turkish volunteers based on the West Coast of the United States which aims to provide the most accurate and up-to-date source of information and news about the Hizmet movement has been attracting increasing attention globally.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Ethiopian President receives Ethio-Turkish schools delegation

Worldview: No evidence, no extradition of Pa. cleric to Turkey

Police raid successful Gülen-inspired schools in western Turkey

Body of Turkish woman fleeing to Greece found weeks after boat capsized

Leaked document sheds light on Turkey’s controlled ‘coup’

Woman sent to prison on coup charges hours after surgery

Gülen-linked gold firm’s operations halted for second time in two months

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News