Deputy PM threatens Taraf daily, Baransu for covering controversial MGK docs

Deputy Prime Minister of Turkey Mr. Bulent Arinc
Deputy Prime Minister of Turkey Mr. Bulent Arinc


Date posted: December 4, 2013

FATMA DİŞLİ ZIBAK, İSTANBUL

Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç on Monday called on prosecutors to take legal action against the Taraf daily and journalist Mehmet Baransu, who last week revealed a controversial National Security Council (MGK) document indicating that Turkey’s ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) signed on to a planned crackdown on the Hizmet (Gülen) movement in 2004.

The two-page document was signed by Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, then-Foreign Minister Abdullah Gül, then-President Ahmet Necdet Sezer, Cabinet members, Chief of General Staff Gen. Hilmi Özkök, Land Forces Commander Aytaç Yalman, Naval Forces Commander Adm. Özden Örnek, Air Forces Commander Gen. İbrahim Fırtına and Gen. Şener Eruygur.

Speaking to reporters following a Cabinet meeting, Arınç said the MGK documents are confidential and that it is not legally acceptable and publish them.

“Somebody got a copy of MGK decision No. 481 dated Aug. 25, 2004, and published it. According to the Turkish Penal Code [TCK], National Intelligence Organization [MİT] law, press law and the Radio and Television Supreme Council [RTÜK] law, publishing information that is confidential requires punishment. The person who has done this may face punitive measures. Let our prosecutors think about this,” said Arınç.

Concerning whether the controversial MGK decision was put into action, he said it has never been put into action and was treated as null and void.

The document asked the government to develop an action plan to pursue the MGK’s recommendations and instructed the Prime Ministry Implementation and Monitoring Coordination Council (BUTKK) to coordinate the ministries and monitor whether the steps were being implemented.

The MGK decision urges the Foreign Ministry, Interior Ministry and National Intelligence Organization (MİT) to closely monitor and report on the activities of the Gülen movement at home and abroad. It advises the government to instruct the Interior Ministry and Ministry of Education to investigate and monitor schools affiliated with the Gülen movement and report their activities to the BTK.

“MGK decisions are advisory and they are not binding,” Arınç said in further remarks.

Meanwhile, Republican People’s Party (CHP) deputy chairman Sezgin Tanrıkulu on Tuesday criticized Deputy Prime Minister Arınç over his remarks about Taraf and journalist Baransu.

Releasing a written statement, he said when the government has a responsibility to maintain transparency in its affairs, it cannot refer press organizations, columnists or journalists who perform their duties to prosecutors.

He said Arınç’s referral of Baransu to prosecutors shows how problematic his understanding of  freedom of the press is.

Baransu: I am not afraid of threats

In remarks to Today’s Zaman, journalist Baransu said it is impossible for him to be afraid and take a step back from what he is doing due to the threatening statements of the deputy prime minister.

“I am just doing my job,” he said.

According to Baransu, what the government should do is to see which documents they put their signatures on, hence what crimes they have committed rather than threatening journalists.

He said he had received similar threats from the members of Ergenekon, a shadowy crime network that has links within the state and plotted to topple the government, and top military commanders such as Gen. Yaşar Büyükanıt and Gen. İlker Başbuğ and he was even prosecuted but still was not scared by their threats.

Baransu and Taraf have frequently become the targets of the Turkish military for exposing coup plots and controversial military action plans over the past years that resulted in the imprisonment of dozens of active duty and retired military members including former Chief of General Staff Gen. Başbuğ.

The journalist said it is very common for those holding state power in their hands to try to exercise this power in order to protect themselves, but he said he thinks it is a shameful act to try to frighten a journalist with such threats.

Source: Today's Zaman , December 3, 2013


Related News

Gov’t criticized for forcing scientific researcher to alter report

Claims by the former head of a scientific research agency who was dismissed a day after his public remarks that he was forced to make changes to a report that was part of an investigation into bugging devices found at the prime minister’s office have triggered a harsh reaction against the government.

Gülen’s views, concern for Kurdish problem nothing new, report shows

“No matter who does it, it is just brutality, murder and tyranny to try to achieve a goal by killing people [and] shedding blood. No beneficial goal can be achieved for humanity through the use of these tactics,” Mr. Gulen states.

Erdoğan admits gov’t capitalized on coup attempt to pursue Gülen movement

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan said during a speech in New York on Thursday that a failed coup attempt on July 15 presented him with opportunities that are not available in normal times.

Turkey Regulator Demands Bank Asya Information Before Sukuks (1)

Turkey’s Capital Markets Board has asked to be informed of future issues, Cengiz Onder, head of investor relations at Bank Asya, said in a phone interview today from Istanbul. An official at the board, asking not to be named under government policy, said it’s seeking further documentation from Bank Asya before sales can resume, without giving further comment.

Closing prep schools as a new form of official tyranny

Thanks to the prep school system, with reasonable payments, the children of the “Black Turks” or “Mountain Turks” gain the chance to compete with the children of “White Turks” under equal standards. They, after graduating from good universities, become judges, teachers and academics and act as a catalyst in undermining pathological ways of thinking like labeling people as reactionary.

Critical journalist Ilıcak fired from pro-government daily Sabah

Veteran Turkish journalist Nazlı Ilıcak was fired on Wednesday from her long-time post at the Sabah daily over a “disagreement on issues,” according to the pro-government newspaper. Ilıcak argued that Erdoğan had been misled by his advisors, leading to prejudices and suspicions about the Hizmet movement.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Turkish authorities unlawfully arrest pregnant woman on alleged Gülen links

An instructive crisis

Gaza group: Oppression targeting Kimse Yok Mu harms needy the most

13 recommendations to MGK secretary for inclusion in ‘Red Book’

Fethullah Gulen Condemns the Assassination of Russian Ambassador to Turkey

AST urges foreign governments to ensure safety for participants of Hizmet Movement

Turkey Deports Journalist for Criticizing Government on Twitter

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News