Arınç says Gülen’s offer to hand over prep schools ‘sacrifice’

Turkish Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç (Photo: İHA, Tuncer Cengiz)
Turkish Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç (Photo: İHA, Tuncer Cengiz)


Date posted: November 20, 2013

Turkish Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç has described the offer of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen to hand over prep school management to the state an example of “sacrifice” and promised that the issue of prep schools will be resolved in a way that pleases everyone.

Arınç told reporters on Wednesday before embarking on a trip to New York that Gülen is not at odds with the government and that his claim that the prep schools are beneficial for improving education in Turkey “might be correct reasoning.”

The deputy prime minister also said Gülen offered to hand over the management of prep schools to the state and described the offer as an example of “sacrifice.” “One needs to appreciate the one who says this. In return for such a sacrifice, what we are supposed to do as a government is think rationally,” Arınç said without elaborating.

The government announced it is working on legislation to shut down all existing prep schools, arguing that they operate as a second education system. Opponents of the plan have noted that the prep schools are a consequence of the many inadequacies of Turkey’s schools and education system, and said that by offering tutoring at affordable prices, prep schools help low-income students enter university.

Following a lengthy Cabinet meeting on Monday, Arınç said that the government decided to reconsider the fate of prep schools and will discuss the issue and all its dimensions once more.

Arınç also said it is wrong to associate all prep schools with the Hizmet movement and that there are other private companies that run a number of prep schools. He added that the business of prep schools is part of a free enterprise system and the Hizmet movement may have had to make sacrifices to keep its schools running.

He noted that the government also has to think about the fate of students and teachers studying and working in prep schools, promising that the decision government will make “won’t hurt anyone.” He said there are efforts being made to highlight the issue of prep schools but that there is no benefit in others exaggerating the issue.

The deputy prime minister also referenced a quote from Gülen that the Islamic scholar wrote in a letter to Turkish President Abdullah Gül — though Arınç didn’t openly mention whether or not Gülen sent him a letter as well.

Osman Şimşek, editor of herkul.org, a website that typically publishes Gülen’s speeches, said on his Twitter account on Tuesday that Gülen wrote a letter to Gül and other state dignitaries urging them to prevent the closure of prep schools.

Şimşek referenced Gülen’s letter to Gül in a bid to dismiss a report published by pro-government daily Yeni Akit, in which it blamed Gülen for granting the keys of his schools to a general involved with the Feb. 28 postmodern coup yet expressing anger at Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan. The report was referring to a letter written by Gülen to Çevik Bir — the second highest-ranking general in the army at the time of the Feb. 28, 1997 coup — assuring him that the schools are not the focal point of “illegal activities” and that the general could, at any time, visit and inspect the schools.

The website editor said Yeni Akit’s report was a “great injustice” and that Gülen’s remarks were made at a time when pressure on members of the Hizmet movement were tremendous. He said Gülen’s words had been “reflected in a false way” by the report.

He said Gülen displays exemplary behavior toward today’s senior state officials, to an extent that is well beyond what he did to Gen. Bir, and he brought up the letter Gülen wrote to Gül and other senior state officials a few weeks ago as evidence.

“These facilities are the product of the nation; let them serve the nation. But they should not be shut down; they should not be wasted for nothing,” Gülen said in the letter, according to Şimşek’s tweets. Gülen wrote that it doesn’t matter who manages these institutions as long as they remain so that they may provide services to people.

“God knows that we don’t have an ambition to manage [these prep schools]; our desire is that these services don’t become the causalities of a disagreement,” Gülen reportedly said.

Şimşek also underlined that other remarks made by Gülen — who cited how beautifully and elegantly Moses entreated the pharaoh Ramses to let his people leave Egypt — were deliberately misquoted as well. Gülen provided the example to show how the members of the Hizmet movement should behave when expressing demands.

Source: Today's Zaman , November 20, 2013


Related News

(Not a joke) Turkish governor: ISIL terrorist detonated himself in construction site not to harm neighbors

Following the detonation of an Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) terrorist in Turkey’s Gaziantep province on Sunday, the governor told reporters that the suicide bomber detonated himself in a construction site in order not to cause problems for the neighbors.

Imran Khan denounces expected closure of Pak-Turk schools

Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) Chairman Imran Khan condemned the expected move to close Pak-Turk schools across the country.
“We stand firmly by Turkish democracy but closure of Pak-Turk schools in Pakistan, which has a high illiteracy rate, could be disastrous for the country,” he said.

Turkey’s Global Anti-Gülen Crusade Puts Tbilisi in Diplomatic Bind

Mustafa Emre Çabuk is out of prison but not out of trouble. The Turkish national, who for the past 15 years ran a Gülen school in the Georgian capital, Tblisi, is the latest international educator caught up in Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s anti-Gülenist campaign.

CCBT Teaches Turkish in Public School in Rio de Janeiro

The Turkish-Brazilian Cultural Center (CCBT) has been teaching Turkish classes at the State School Infante Don Henrique in the Copacabana neighborhood, Rio de Janeiro, since July 2013. This course has been attracting attention of educators, tourism professionals, journalists and governors from other Brazilian States.

Erdogan Uses Coup Like Hitler Used Reichstag Fire, Austrian Far-right Leader Says

Turkey’s failed coup and Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan’s subsequent purges of state institutions are reminiscent of the Reichstag fire in Nazi Germany and its use by Hitler to amass greater power, the head of Austria’s far-right Freedom Party said.

Mothers, fathers crying and praying due to extensive victimization

Mothers cried out and made objections wherever state brutality was observed. This noble and peaceful attitude was not only displayed at the education institutions affiliated with the Hizmet movement.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Turkish volunteers reach out to orphans in Nairobi

Gülen’s followers banned from mosque in Germany

Coup attempt in 2016 was Erdoğan’s Reichstag fire

Fethullah Gülen’s Message for Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day

Sweep these [journalists] off the floor

Turkey Regulator Demands Bank Asya Information Before Sukuks (1)

Fethullah Gulen talks to major international media on Turkey coup attempt

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News