Gülen says he would free all coup convicts if he had the means

Fethullah Gülen (Photo: Today's Zaman)
Fethullah Gülen (Photo: Today's Zaman)


Date posted: November 15, 2013

Turkish and Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has announced that he would free all the convicts of coup trials if he had the means to do so.

In a statement published on herkul.org, a website that broadcasts his speeches, Gülen said he was deeply saddened to see “those elderly men” standing trial in these cases, adding that he would favor their release if he was able to. “If I had the means at my disposal, I would tell them, ‘You are all free.’ How? Just like the Prophet said to all on the day of the Conquest of Mecca: ‘Go! You are all free today’.”

A campaign against the Hizmet movement was launched both in Turkey and in the West, in particular in Western Europe and the US, after the start of the coup trials, alleging that the movement was behind these investigations. There was a flood of articles and news stories targeting the Hizmet movement with less than credible evidence while trying to whitewash those who plotted coups.

Turkey has had four military interventions since 1960. Prime Minister Adnan Menderes, Foreign Affairs Minister Fatin Rüştü Zorlu and Finance Minister Hasan Polatkan were executed by the military junta in 1961. In 1980, the military coup led to hundreds of thousands of people being imprisoned and thousands tortured. The latest attempt by the military to intervene in politics came in 2007, when then-foreign minister and current President Abdullah Gül declared that he would run for the presidency.

In a tacit reference to the government, Gülen implied that members of the government were very happy to see the generals being subdued and were now welcoming civilian authorities with their “military salute,” but are, however, trying to frame Hizmet as the only force behind these trials.

“However, some are making plans and carrying them out [to punish the coup plotters]. They say, ‘Those people [coup plotters] once stood firm against us and we are now doing this to them.’ They are saying this behind closed doors, but on the other hand they are whispering that the Hizmet movement with its members is doing all this. They are engaged in an act of dissension that aims to kill two birds with one stone. These comments do not befit my style, but I have to say this much if you let me,” Gülen added.

Source: Today's Zaman , November 15, 2013


Related News

AKP official: Torture claims won’t be investigated if victims are Gülenists

A Justice and Development Party (AKP) deputy has said there will be no investigations into claims of torture and mistreatment of people put into prison after a July 15 coup attempt if those victims are sympathizers of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen.

Loyal depositors shoulder Turkey’s Bank Asya while political war rages

Selling everything from their sofas to their wedding rings, Bank Asya clients are battling to shore up the Turkish lender against what they say is a government-orchestrated bid to scuttle it.

Sweden delays sending back Erdogan dissenters

Asylum seekers with ties to the opposition from last month’s failed coup attempt in Turkey will not be sent back to the nation by Sweden until further notice, the Swedish Migration Agency has decided. People who have taken part in “credible political opposition” are also part of the risk group, the Migration Agency writes on its website.

Turkish Gov’t Unveils 16 Ways to Identify Gulenists [as Terrorists]

Turkish authorities have finally come up with a detailed set of measures and criteria to identify suspected Gulenists. After its publication and prime minister’s announcement, critics argued that this presents a perfect textbook of fascism as the government justifies its actions, purges on ludicrous charges devoid of a legal base in universal standards and even country’s current laws.

66,000 students relocated after Turkish government shut down 15 universities over coup charges

Turkish government has closed down 15 universities across the country over their alleged links to the Gulen movement since last summer, leading 66,000 students to look for somewhere else to continue their education.

Ali Bulac: Gulen movement wants to participate in the globalization

Just like the Seljuks and the Ottomans emerged and spread to the Balkans and the Middle East, the Gulen movement repeats the same experience in a different form – by participating in globalization. Globalization shakes the nation-state, dissolves society. The Gulen movement, despite being part of globalization, also protects the individual from the resulting side effects.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

On Gülen vs Erdogan – “And not equal are the good deed and the bad”

GYV summit highlights link between education, sustainable development

Former intel chief calls for use of ASALA, MOSSAD tactics to kill Gülen followers

Fethullah Gulen’s new book “The Struggle for Renewal” sold 200,000 in 20 days

Gulen-linked school manager released on bail by Tbilisi court

Dialog High School wins top prize

The Islamic roots of the conflict in Turkey

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News