Erdoğan’s aide: Unjust to suggest Hizmet eavesdropped on PM

Dr. Yalcin-Akdogan
Dr. Yalcin-Akdogan


Date posted: January 2, 2013

A political aide to Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan said on Monday that it would be “unjust” and “wrong” to associate the Hizmet movement with wiretapping devices found in Erdoğan’s office.

Speaking to TV station NTV, Yalçın Akdoğan, an adviser to the prime minister and a deputy of the Justice and Development Party (AK Party), said: “Some people placed those devices there…. This is a grave situation.”

Akdoğan said that when people from his party accused the deep state of being behind the wiretapping scandal, their remarks were misinterpreted by some as if they had pointed a finger at the Hizmet movement (aka Gulen movement), inspired by Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen.

He clarified that what they had meant to indicate were deep-state gangs like Ergenekon, a shadowy criminal network with alleged links within the state that is suspected of plotting to topple the government, and not the Hizmet movement.

“It would be completely unjust and wrong to associate this situation with the movement,” he said.

The prime minister announced on a live TV program in late December that bugging devices had been found in his office at his Ankara home but did not specify the number of devices or when they were found. “Security units [the police] found those devices. They were placed inside the office of my house. Such things occur despite all measures taken to prevent them,” he stated. An investigation is under way into how the devices were planted there and by whom.

Akdoğan also spoke to the Star daily on Monday and said he would not choose a member of Ergenekon over any Islamic community. Akdoğan made this statement in response to criticism that the government has begun to downplay Ergenekon.

Source: Today’s Zaman 1 January 2013


Related News

TAA refutes claim tying US genocide resolution to Hizmet

The Turkic American Alliance (TAA) has refuted the pro-government daily Sabah’s and Yeni Şafak’s claims of “treachery,” linking the Hizmet movement, a faith-based group inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, with the passing of an “Armenian genocide” resolution at the US Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

Embassies Embark on Diplomatic Moves for the Release of Detained Sierra Leonean in Turkey

David Junusa, a Sierra Leonean national who lives and works in Ankara was detained at the Kavaklidere Police Station in Ankara when he showed up to renew his expired residency permit.

Turkish daily exposes secret plot against Gülen endorsed by gov’t

A secret national security document recently discovered by a Turkish daily has revealed that Turkey’s ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government signed up to a planned crackdown on the Hizmet or Gülen movement. The Taraf daily published a document on Wednesday prepared by the National Security Council (MGK) on Aug. 25, 2004, persuading […]

US Congressman: No Credibility In Charges By Turkey Against Gülen

US Congressman Brad Sherman said on Thursday that charges against US-based Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen by the Turkish government and Turkey’s autocratic President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan have no credibility and that he would not be treated with justice if he were in Turkey.

Prosecutor’s office launches investigation into Şahin’s claim

Şahin claimed that a high-level judge at the Supreme Court of Appeals had acted contrary to legal procedure and contacted Gülen before issuing his final verdict in the case against the businessman several years ago. “What should I do in this case?” asked the judge, according to the claims of the former justice minister. He went on to say that Gülen had allegedly told the judge to do “what justice requires.”

What is at stake is not prep schools [in Turkey]

Will Prime Minister Erdoğan really close prep schools down if he is bent on it? Why not? Although Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç, speaking after a Cabinet meeting last Monday, tried to reassure people by announcing that the government will discuss the matter once more with the stakeholders involved, PM Erdoğan refuted Arınç once again by saying they would shut them down. Isn’t this sufficient in showing his resolve in this regard?

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Mandela and Gülen by İbrahim Özdemir *

Turkey’s Corruption Probe, And One Question For Erdogan

Turkish school students raises pocket moneys to buy stoves for refugees

Needy Romanians provided with aid by students of Turkish school

Bulgarians Outraged at Deportation of Gulen Supporter to Turkey

İstanbul woman suffers miscarriage in police custody

TUSKON brings together businesswomen from Turkey, Russia

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News