Fethullah Gülen strongly condemns US consulate attack, extends condolences

M. Fethullah Gulen
M. Fethullah Gulen


Date posted: September 14, 2012

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has strongly condemned at attack on US Consulate in Benghazi that killed four Americans, including Libyan ambassador, and expressed deep condolences to the American people.

He said he was saddened to learn the death of Christopher Stevens and three other consulate workers and described the ambassador as “guest in Libya.” He said in a statement on Thursday that he strongly condemns the attack and curses “every kind of terrorism no matter who the perpetrators are.”

US Ambassador Christopher Stevens, another US diplomat and two State Department officers were killed on Tuesday in Libya when a mob of protestors and gunmen angered over a film that ridiculed the Prophet Muhammad attacked the consulate.

Recalling violent protests in Cairo and Sanaa, Gülen said lasting positive transformations could only be realized through peaceful approaches, which are also open to dialogue.

“Violence targeting innocent people in the name of protecting them is a betrayal to the spirit of Islam,” Gülen said, adding that the best way for Muslims to express their reaction is to protest with peace and calmness in line with the honor of their religion.

He expressed condolences to families of the victims in US consulate attacks, American people, and particularly US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

Source: Today’s Zaman 13 September 2012


Related News

Can resurrecting the caliphate solve Muslims’ problems?

The recent terrorist attacks in Paris once more brought up the issue of how homegrown terrorism is shaping up to be one of the most striking elements of today’s terror threat, as former US Department of Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano predicted in 2011.

The Process Behind Turkey’s Proposed Extradition of Fethullah Gülen

By publicly campaigning for Gülen’s immediate extradition—before a formal request had been submitted—Turkish officials reinforced the idea that the United States is somehow protecting Gülen or resisting the extradition process. That is not true. There will be critics of any eventual decision, just as there are critics of the delay in reaching a decision. Whatever the result, both governments should communicate the decision with consideration for the long-term relationship and should operate on the assumption that the other is acting in good faith.

Interview: Professor Greg Barton, counter terrorism expert with Deakin University

Tony Jones speaks with Greg Barton and asks him what is the likely scenario for security in Turkey following President Erdogan’s announcement of a three month state of emergency.

INTERPOL and U.S. reject baseless charges against US-based Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen

INTERPOL apparently indicated in its decision that it did not recognize the “parallel structure” as a illegal or terrorist organization. In other words, the charges against Gülen appear to have been fabricated based on his political activity. His case is widely viewed as part of a government crackdown on dissidents and political opposition, as described here. U.S. officials have also thus far refused to extradite Gülen back to Turkey.

Fethullah Gülen’s Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Terror Attack in Vienna

Before the wounds from the brutal attack in Paris are healed, terrorism resurfaced with all its atrocity in Vienna, claiming the lives of four innocent people and leaving many others injured. I send my heartfelt condolences to the people of Austria, especially the relatives and loved ones of those who lost their lives. I pray for the quick recovery of the injured.

Gülen calls for respect for the sacred, denounces terrorism

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has called on everyone to respect each other’s sacred values while at the same time strongly condemning the use of violence and engagement in terrorism in so-called attempts to protect these sacred values.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Governmental Robbery – Armenian Deportation

Kimse Yok Mu to distribute meat in 100 countries

Beninese president: African relations imperative for Turkish power

Victims of Erdogan’s witch-hunt and purge get their voice heard

PM Erdoğan increases intensity of hate speech against Hizmet movement

Austrian Far-Right Leader Likens Turkish Coup to Reichstag Fire

Fethullah Gulen is hopeful about future

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News