Fortunately, we have not closed Gülen schools

Mehmet Ali Birand
Mehmet Ali Birand


Date posted: June 9, 2012

Mehmet Ali Birand June 9, 2012

When I was invited to become one of the judges in the International Turkish Olympiad, I was initially surprised. I was also a bit embarrassed because I never considered myself to be an expert in Turkish songs and folk songs, but I could not turn the offer down because I did not want to offend my interlocutors.

I have always been a supporter of Fethullah Gülen schools and the competitions they organized. Because I oppose those who said “these schools should be closed, they are a source of reaction,” I have suffered many troubles.

Look at the stage we have reached now. Yesterday, we wanted to close them, today we carry them on top of our heads. Fortunately, we have not closed them. Fortunately, we have not acted with a narrow-mind.

I went to the finals Tuesday night with these thoughts in my mind. The scene I saw was amazing. A standing ovation occurred in the stadium where 15,000 people had gathered.

It was worth watching young people 14 to 15-years-old, who had enrolled in Gülen schools in 110 different countries and learned Turkish, take the stage to perform beautiful songs and folk songs.
More importantly, it required even more skills to be able to successfully organize such a gigantic event. The result was just wonderful.

The aspect that affected me the most was that each performance and each detail were decided upon after major efforts. Because I know how difficult it is to manage these types of organizations, my admiration multiplied. I expand my respects to the teachers of these schools and everyone else who worked on this event.

Actually, to call this competition an “Olympiad” is a bit exaggerated. If it were only called “competition,” it would have been better. It is actually a competition among the Gülen Schools, which are highly admired overseas. The one who has worked the most, who has made the best preparation is awarded.

Source: Hurriyet Daily News http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/fortunately-we-have-not-closed-gulen-schools.aspx?pageID=238&nID=22761&NewsCatID=405


Related News

TUSKON to sue dailies over disputed land reports

Leading Turkish business group, the Turkish Confederation of Businessmen and Industrialists (TUSKON) said on Thursday it will soon file lawsuits against certain government dailies which published allegations of irregularities regarding disputed land in İstanbul.

Gülen’s lawyers: PM’s only correct statement is that he visited Gülen

Lawyers representing Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen dismissed on Friday remarks made by Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu that Gülen rejected an invitation from Davutoğlu to return to Turkey on the grounds that “it was not time yet.”

Kosovo grants asylum to Turkish national

About five months after submitting a request for asylum, Ugur Toksoy, a Turkish national whose  extradition procedures to Turkey were terminated by the State Prosecution in December last year, was granted refugee status in Kosovo.

Pak-Turk schools issue: Foundation moves court for fear of closure

The Islamabad High Court (IHC) directed the deputy attorney general to seek instructions from the Ministry of Interior and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs after Pak-Turk Education Foundation moved the IHC against the possible closure of the network by the government, on Wednesday.

Future of political islam: lessons from Turkey, Egypt

The eruption of protests across the country in the summer of 2013 were a result of the AKP’s increasingly authoritarian governing style. Rather than reading these protests as a public expression of discomfort — and taking the recent corruption charges seriously before declaring them a conspiracy against the government by the rival Gulen movement — the government is currently pushing legislation within parliament that will not only abolish the separation between the judiciary and the executive but which will completely consolidate the judicial and executive powers at the hands of the government.

In Turkey for once-in-a-lifetime experience

MYRA BLACKMON By the time you read this, I will be in Istanbul, as part of a group beginning a week-long tour as a guest of the Gulen Movement. We will visit tourist sites, but also meet with media folks, spend time in schools and universities and enjoy several dinners in private homes. We will […]

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Kenya: Investigate Deportation of Turkish National

Carter Center gives certificate of appreciation to Kimse Yok Mu

The Hizmet (Gulen) movement and transparency

Six Turks arrested in Kosovo over Gulen links extradited to Turkey

Pillar of Society or Threat to Democracy?

Hizmet movement and perceptions

US Human Rights Report: Tens of thousands jailed in Turkey with little clarity on charges

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News