The Turkish School in Kathmandu made a dream come true

Foreign Affairs Minister Ahmet Davutoglu is with students at the Turkish School in Kathmandu, Nepal
Foreign Affairs Minister Ahmet Davutoglu is with students at the Turkish School in Kathmandu, Nepal


Date posted: February 27, 2011

Ahmet Davutoglu the first Turkish foreign secretary who went to Nepal visited Meridian Turkish School. Davutoglu addressed to the students in Turkish school and said that: “My first visit to Nepal was in 1993. If someone had told me that a Turkish school would be opened in Kathmandu,

the students in that school would learn to speak Turkish and would sing Turkish songs, I would think that it would be only a dream. But now I see that these devoted Turkish teachers realized that dream and I’d like to thank to all of the teachers”.

Davutoglu stated that these students who could speak both Turkish and Nepali would build a bridge between Turkey and Nepal. He said he wanted to see the students in Turkey and added: “Turkey is your home and the students in Turkey are your sisters and brothers. I am the first but not last Turkish foreign secretary to visit Nepal. Turkish educators came to Nepal before us. I really am very grateful to them.

Ferhat Dogutekin, the coordinator of Turkish schools in Kathmandu, said: “We opened the first Turkish school in 2002 with 100 students. Today, we have 1200 students and take 10th place out of 700 private schools in Kathmandu in academic success”. People here suggested us to give up when we were trying to open the school, he added.

Davutoglu had meetings with the president Ram Baran Yadav, prime minister Jhala Nath Khanal and deputy prime minister and finance minister Bharat Mohan Adhikary. They told Davutoglu that they wanted to follow up Turkey’s experiences in economic improvement and keeping stability.

Source: The original news was published at Zaman Newspaper in Turkish on February 18, 2011. IDC members translated.

 


Related News

Turkish parents worried about gov’t plan to shut down study centers

Working parents are extremely concerned with a planned move from the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government to shut down study centers, where children can spend time after school doing their homework with the assistance of educational professionals, as part of a law that will see private prep schools that help students in preparing for high-school and university tests close.

Gülen appeals for steadfastness against gov’t ban on prep schools [in Turkey]

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has asked his followers to be resolute and not yield to despair in the face of a government attempt to shut down private educational institutions [in Turkey] that assist students to prepare for high school and university admission examinations, which was interpreted as a major blow to the right to an education and to free enterprise in the EU-candidate country.

Turkish schools boost Turkey-Brazil ties

Brazilian national soccer team coach Carlos Dunga has said schools opened by Turkish entrepreneurs in Brazil strengthen ties between the two countries. Paying a visit to Colegio Belo Futuro, a Turkish school founded last year by a Turkish entrepreneur in Sao Paolo, Dunga said on Wednesday that Turkish schools in his country build a bridge between Turkey and Brazil and strengthen the two countries’ relations.

President Museveni supports Turkey’s reaching out to Africa

29 April 2012 / SİNEM CENGİZ, ANKARA Uganda President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni has praised Turkey’s flourishing African policy and its recently keen interest in African countries, pointing out its positive implications on developing relations between Turkey and the continent. “Turkey was a great power during the Ottoman Empire, which declined after World War I. Although […]

The Turkish Connection: Pak-Turk Schools

The network of [Pak-Turk] of schools came under the media scanner last month, after the Turkish government demanded that Pakistan close down the entire network following the failed army coup to overthrow Turkish President Erdogan. Since then, Erdogan has ordered a ruthless purge and arrest of anyone even suspected of having links with his political rival, Fethullah Gülen, whom Erdogan holds responsible for the coup attempt.

GYV expresses concern over claims of government profiling of its citizens

The Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV), whose honorary chairman is Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, released a statement on its website on Thursday in which it said it is worried about the profiling of citizens, civic groups and public employees.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Syrian refugees – Losing Touch With Humanity in Times of War

Turkey’s ‘black box’ must be opened

[Part 1] Islamic scholar Gülen calls conditions in Turkey worse than military coup

Fethullah Gülen’s teachings discussed at conference in Algeria

UN-affiliated aid organization becomes new witch hunt target

White House hosts first-ever Eid al-Adha celebration, Rumi Forum contributes

Gulen Movement has been the driving force behind new relationships between Turkey and sub-Saharan African nations

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News