University refuses admission to woman jailed over Gülen links


Date posted: December 1, 2021

Ünzile Köşker, who was jailed for alleged links to the Gülen movement, was not allowed to enroll at a university despite passing the nationwide entrance exam because she “posed a risk,” Bold Medya reported.

Köşker wrote a letter about the incident to Peoples’ Democratic Party (HDP) deputy Ömer Faruk Gergerlioğlu, who published it on Twitter, criticizing the university’s move.

Köşker said she took the exam in June and gained the right to enroll in the history department of Adıyaman University. However, the university declined to go forward with her enrollment, saying they could not take the risk of accepting her as she had been arrested for alleged links to the Gülen movement.

Köşker is currently in Bünyan Prison in Kayseri province.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has been targeting followers of the Gülen movement, inspired by Turkish Muslim cleric Fethullah Gülen, since the corruption investigations of December 17-25, 2013, which implicated then-Prime Minister Erdoğan, his family members, and his inner circle.

Dismissing the investigations as a Gülenist coup and conspiracy against his government, Erdoğan designated the movement as a terrorist organization and began to target its members. He intensified the crackdown on the movement following an abortive putsch on July 15, 2016 that he accused Gülen of masterminding. Gülen and the movement strongly deny involvement in the coup attempt or any terrorist activity.

According to the Directorate General of Prisons and Detention Houses, inmates have the right to education including obtaining a university degree. They can continue with a university education through distance learning.

The Turkish Statistical Institute (TurkStat) revealed that the number of inmates with university degrees in Turkey increased more than twofold between 2016 and 2020, reaching 20,333.

The dramatic increase reflects the increasing number of political prisoners in the country in the aftermath of the coup attempt in July 2016.

In addition to the rising number of inmates with university degrees, many inmates are applying for their first or second degree from prison. However, some universities are refusing the admission of political prisoners and people who were subject to investigations after the coup attempt.

The İzmir-based Ege University announced on its website in 2019 that it would not admit former public servants summarily dismissed by government decrees after the coup attempt to its graduate school.

Ankara University, one of Turkey’s oldest institutions of higher learning, changed its regulations in 2017 saying it would not admit prospective students who had previously been fired from public service.

Source: Stockholm Center for Freedom , November 4, 2021


Related News

Corruption, Stigmatization, and Innocence

Unfortunately, the Hizmet Movement as one of the leading civilian movements contributing to intercultural dialogue and peace in the world has been labeled as one of the players to destabilize Turkey by the pro-government press too.

Jailed Zaman editor says we are journalists, not terrorists

Former Zaman daily Ankara Representative Mustafa Ünal, who is standing trial after 414 days in pretrial detention, said on Monday that he and other colleagues in the same case are journalists, not terrorists.

Abant Platform: perspectives on Turkey

Ihsan YILMAZ  June 22, 2012 The Abant Platform, being an innovative institution, has now initiated a new discussion forum which, as far as I am aware, is a first in Turkey. We will be discussing different perspectives on Turkey together with non-Turkish academics, diplomats and journalists working in the country. For three days, we will […]

Alevi, Sunni businessmen will finance joint prayer complex

İLYAS KOÇ, ANKARA The first joint mosque-cemevi (Alevi house of worship) project in Turkey will be financed by businessmen from both parties, the head of the Hacı Bektaş Veli Culture, Education, Health and Research Foundation, Kemal Kaya, said on Thursday. The idea for such a project, which aims to strengthen will of peaceful coexistence, came […]

Gülen: ‘Shame for military to stage coups but not to finish off the PKK’

Gülen expressed his grief over the deaths of dozens of security members during terrorist attacks in the country’s Southeast last week. He also expressed his disappointment over the Turkish military’s failure to end PKK terrorism over the past 30 years.

Purge-victim family drowns in the Aegean Sea off Turkey

A Turkish family of five has reportedly drowned after a boat capsized in the Aegean Sea, off the western coast of Turkey, according to several Turkish media outlets. The victims have reportedly been sought by the Turkish government over their links to the Gülen group.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

The Gülen Effect: Filipino Muslims, Christians connect for peace

Archbishop Makgoba: Turkey’s religious tolerance answer to extremism

What was the ‘postmodern coup’ about?

Fethullah Gulen’s Message for International Day of Peace

People overwhelmingly support democracy as answer to Kurdish issue

Peace Curriculum Includes Fethullah Gulen

Atyrau Kazakh-Turk High Schools celebrates its 20th anniversary

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News