Georgia revokes decision to freeze Gulen-linked university’s student intake


Date posted: December 9, 2018

TBILISI, DFWatch–The Georgian regulatory body for quality in education on Saturday revoked a controversial decision to bar a Tbilisi university from accepting new students for a period of one year.

Black Sea International University, one of Georgia’s leading higher educational institutions, was also allowed to increase the number of students enrolled each year from 2,500 to 3,500.

The regulatory body, which files under the Ministry of Education, Science, Culture and Sport of Georgia, was forced to revoke its decision back in August after pressure from IBSU students, professors as well as negative media coverage.

The one year freeze on accepting new students proved financially devastating for BSIU and was perceived as a bow to President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan who accused a failed coup attempt in July, 2016 on Turkish Islamic cleric Fethullah Gülen, with whom the university is linked.

The decision in August was not the first time Georgia’s government cracked down on educational institutions linked to the Gülen movement. In February 2017, the council of the National Center for Educational Quality revoked the Sahin Friendship School’s authorization to carry out educational activities due to ‘serious violations’ of the rules about enrollment and procedures.

Seven months earlier, on July 19 of 2016, just a few days after Turkey’s failed coup attempt, the Turkish consul in Batumi, Yasin Temizkan, called on Georgian authorities to close down the school because it is fostering terrorism. Georgian authorities eventually gave in, despite claims that it was the best school in Batumi.

Later, in August 2017, the government cracked down on Demirel College, a school belonging to the same holding company which runs IBSU.

Source: Democracy & Freedom Watch , December 9, 2018


Related News

Video shows Malaysia detained Turkish expats at Turkey’s request

Malaysian police chief Khalid Abu Bakar told reporters in a press meeting that three Turks were arrested without any request from the Turkish government. However, a recent video recording submitted to Turkey Purge shows that Malaysia was detaining three Turks in the country at the request of Turkish government.

Will a diplomat who is ashamed of Erdoğan praise Gül?

Some prominent figures who have little knowledge of the Hizmet movement, including Graham Watson of Britain, Alexander Graf Lambsdorff of Germany and Hélène Flautre of France, find Erdoğan’s hate discourse against the Hizmet movement unacceptable.

Prep school debate [in Turkey] continues

According to Bugün columnist Adem Yavuz Arslan, some newspapers, such as Akit, use very harsh language against the Hizmet movement in the prep school debate. Arslan wrote that newspapers are free to criticize things, but the criticism cannot be made as a form of revenge. The right to open a prep school is a democratic right, Arslan said.

In Indonesia Turkish schools will not be closed

State Secretary Pramono Anung acknowledged Ankara’s statement on the affiliation of schools in Indonesia with the coup masterminds, but also said there was never any formal request from Turkey to shut down the school. Pramono indicated the government’s concern about Turkey interfering in domestic affairs.

Nigeria: Federal Government honours NTIC with 7 awards

Federal Government has decorated the Nigerian Turkish International Colleges (NTIC) with seven defferent awards, in recognition of its performances in national academic Olympiads.

French editor says Gülen’s messages on anti-terrorism revolutionary

A French editor-in-chief has praised the anti-terrorism messages in an article written by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen and published by a prestigious French daily last month, describing them as revolutionary and one of the “signs of hope” in 2015, which he said was marked by terror and fear.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Turkish-Kyrgyz educator’s abduction shows Ankara’s ruthless disregard for law: HRW

Transparency and trust is our only weapon says Turkish NGO chairman

PakTurk School holds language & cultural festival

Police officials who carried out graft operation detained in raids

Russian envoy’s murderer attended sermons of controversial pro-Erdoğan cleric

Parents dream of their children being admitted to Turkish schools in Senegal

[Erdogan’s] Turken Foundation: A Wolf in the Neighborhood [in the US]

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News