Man dies of heart attack while on way to help Turkish refugees in Greece


Date posted: March 5, 2018

A 43-year-old Turkish man has died of heart attack while on a charity trip for Turkish asylum claimants in Greece.

“We are going [to Greece]. My heart could not bear this agony. I could not watch this agony from afar. Today, I have gotten permission from my employer, and I am going to Athens with my son. Hundreds of victims are there. We are set to go on March 3. Some aid was collected. I would appreciate it if my friends who want to contribute would send me a message,” Hasan Degirmenci said on his Facebook account on Feb 14.

Degirmenci and his son, Ensar, hit the road from Germany’s Stuttgart to Athens along with a group of businessmen on Saturday.

A day after, he suffered a heart attack at the house of a Turkish [refugee] family in Athens and was subsequently taken to a nearby hospital where he later died.

Thousands of people have fled Turkey due to a massive witch-hunt launched by the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government against sympathizers of the Gülen movement in the wake of a failed coup attempt on July 15. The government accuses the movement of masterminding the coup while the latter denies involvement.

More than 126,000 people have been detained and some 56,000 including academics, judges, doctors, teachers, lawyers, students, policemen and many from different backgrounds have been put in pre-trial detention since last summer.

Many tried to escape Turkey via illegal ways as the government cancelled their passports like thousands of others.

Earlier in February, at least three people died and four others were missing after a boat carrying a group of eight Turkish refugee seekers capsized in the Maritza river between Greece and Turkey.

Degirmenci’s last Facebook post had pictures of the three people whose bodies were recovered from the river.

 

Source: Turkey Purge , March 5, 2018


Related News

Toward a constitutional crisis [in Turkey]

If the government continues to give the impression that it is trying to stop the biggest-ever corruption investigation in the country, Gezi may repeat itself. It is clear that this may harm not only the AK Party, but also the Hizmet movement and Turkey. Only the AK Party can stop this from taking place by convincing people that it is not interfering with the judiciary and that it is fully against corruption.

Woman looking after disabled children alone as prosecutor husband under arrest for 270 days

Hacer Çakmak is only one of the hundreds of thousands of people who found themselves facing tremendous difficulties after the government started a desperate crackdown on the Gülen movement in the aftermath of a July 15 coup attempt.

Questions for the government regarding prep school closure

BÜLENT KENEŞ What we have concluded after discussing the government’s plan to shut down prep schools for the past 12 days is that Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan is resolved to proceed with the plan. In this process we have understood that no argument about prep schools’ contributions to education, pedagogy, the principle of equal […]

Erdogan’s war on education: The exodus of Turkey’s teachers

They were happy when Greek police caught them. “They treated us very well,” Hakan says. “Zehra told us she felt safer spending [several nights] in jail than [she did] in Turkey. She said: ‘The Greek police are keeping us safe from the Turks.'”

Vocational training center for the women in Albany

By the help of this center [Kimse Yok Mu, Hizmet’s Relief organization vocational training center ] numerous women including many widows in Albany will have professions. Training in twenty different professions will be offered at the center, which consists of workshops and sales rooms. Trainees will get economical benefits through sold items at the center that aimed to reintegrate women into the society.

Every second a Turkish asylum seeker heads to Germany

About 50 percent of all people leaving Turkey because they feel politically persecuted seek shelter in Germany. In 2018, there were more than 10,000 asylum applications from Turks in Germany. About two-fifths of applicants were issued some form of protection.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

A medical center is being built next to Dadaap Camp

Jailed journalist facing new trial for not calling Gülen movement a terror organization

Hopefully the Gulen movement will help change the American values

Turkish people’s aid reaches out to Chad through Kimse Yok Mu

With happy life left behind, hardship awaits us as exiled family

Father jailed over Gülen links, 6-months-old paralyzed baby left in intensive care

Fethullah Gülen’s teachings discussed at conference in Algeria

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News