8,480 Turkish nationals sought asylum in Germany in 2017


Date posted: February 17, 2018

The number of Turkish citizens who sought asylum in Germany in 2017 totals 8,480, according to Deutsche Welle.

According to data from the German Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF), 8,480 Turkish nationals claimed asylum in Germany in 2017, the German media outlet said Friday.

Deutsche Welle also said the number of Turkish asylum seekers has been on the rise in 2018 as well with 741 applications from Turkish nationals in the month of January.

Turkey ranked four in the list of source countries that sent highest number of refugees to Germany in January 2018.

Turkey survived a military coup attempt on July 15, 2016, after which the government launched a sweeping crackdown against all opposition circles, leading thousands of people to seek safety elsewhere in the world.

 

Source: Turkey Purge , February 17, 2018


Related News

Warriors of enlightenment: pen versus bullet

BÜLENT KENEŞ, April 24, 2012 As we were watching the country finals of International Turkish Olympiads enthusiastically and becoming impatient for the great final in Turkey, we were shocked to learn that a heinous attack had been launched against one of the educational institutions that, like their counterparts in the remotest parts of the world, […]

Pro-gov’t troll says sympathizers of Gülen movement should be ‘wiped out’

A pro-government Twitter troll who frequently uses offensive language to insult prominent political and social figures who do not embrace the ruling Justice and Development Party’s (AK Party) ideals and practices has this time called on supporters of the ruling party to kill members of the Gülen movement.

Now it is time to answer

All Cemaat did was to oppose to the closing of test-preparation centers… The corruption investigation that erupted after, is billed to Cemaat by the PM himself.

Man killed in Yalova over sympathy for Hizmet movement

A 35-year-old man has been killed in Yalova province by a drug addict on the grounds that the victim was a follower of the faith-based Hizmet movement, against which the government of Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has declared battle since last year, and because he was a critic of Erdoğan.

Plot against Gülen movement in tatters as suspects confess to false testimony

New testimony in a court case incriminating the faith-based Gülen movement indicates that police and prosecutors had pressured suspects to make false statements against the movement, revealing that the case was actually a plot developed by political authorities to taint the movement.

Irvine’s new arrivals — Turkish asylum seekers, after a failed coup and a sadly successful purge

The man, who ran a nonprofit that provided humanitarian aid, doesn’t want to be identified because he fears for the safety of the wife and two children he was forced to leave in Turkey. They are hidden in a different city, he said, not far from his hometown. They’ve thrown away their cellphones and erased their social media accounts for fear of being tracked down by a government that no longer welcomes them.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Turkish organizations pour out aid during Feast of Sacrifice

Gülen speaks to Kurdish paper, renews his support for education in mother tongue

Turkey: A climate of fear; losers in the aftermath of the coup attempt

Turkey’s Global Anti-Gülen Crusade Puts Tbilisi in Diplomatic Bind

Pro-gov’t daily repeats Bharara controlled by Gülen movement, calls him ‘stupid’

Fethullah Gulen Condemns Terrorist Attack in Nairobi, Kenya

FM Davutoğlu says Turkish schools abroad play important representative role

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News