Erdogan pushes further to replace Gülen schools in Africa to spread his ideology


Date posted: January 27, 2018

A Turkish state-run educational foundation has signed memorandums of understanding with 26 countries in Africa to take control of schools belonging to people from the faith-based Gülen movement, the state-run Anadolu news agency reported on Saturday.

“We have signed protocols with 26 countries in Africa, and 16 of them have so far transferred the schools. We are continuing to provide education to 8,900 students,” said Hasan Yavuz, a board member of the Maarif Foundation.

The ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) established the Maarif Foundation in 2016 to take over the administration of overseas schools linked to the Gülen movement.

Gülen movement has many schools and universities set-up in more than 160 countries.

According to Anadolu, 30 African countries have handed over Gülen movement schools to Maarif or closed them down at Ankara’s request.

The Maarif Foundation is claimed to have been established to spread President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s Islamist ideology abroad.

İsmet Yılmaz, the education minister, on June 16, 2016 in Parliament said that the foundation was owned by the state and would serve as his ministry’s arm abroad in providing educational services. He described the initiative as proof of the Turkish state’s ambition to project greater power in the world and maintained that Turkey follows in British and American footsteps in that sense.

“Erdoğan posits himself to be the caliph, the leader of all Muslims in the world, and sees the Maarif Foundation as a tool in his investment efforts to reach out to non-Turkish Muslim groups,” wrote TM columnist Abdullah Bozkurt.

The Gülen movement is accused by the Turkish government of mounting a coup attempt on July 15, 2016. The movement strongly denies any involvement.


Related News

Erdogan’s Maarif Foundation To Contribute Radicalism, Exacerbate Muslim-Christian Tension In African Countries

Is [Erdogan’s] Maarif Foundation capable of delivering quality education?

ISIS ‘Infiltrates’ Erdogan’s Maarif Foundation

 

Source: Turkish Minute , January 27 2018


Related News

Turkish authorities unlawfully arrest pregnant woman on alleged Gülen links

Emel Top Bayraktar, 29, a research assistant at Bingöl University in eastern Turkey, has been arrested for alleged links to the Gülen movement, despite being in the early stages of pregnancy, Bold Medya reported.

AK Party-Hizmet clash a blessing for world Muslims

The Hizmet has proven that one can remain religiously observant and rise against tyranny at the same time. Thank God the Hizmet movement is one of the main actors in Turkey that has resisted the seemingly democratic but actually autocratic AK Party government’s lawless policies.

The irrationality of demanding Turkish schools abroad be shut down

Since last year, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has been constantly “advising” his foreign counterparts to shut down the Hizmet schools in their countries.

Germany takes Gülenists off watch list, conducts counterespionage against Ankara – report

German police have removed the Gülen movement, which Ankara designates a terrorist organisation, from its ‘dangerous’ and ‘to be followed’ watch list, Sözcü newspaper reported, citing a domestic security report from the  country’s Southwestern state of Baden-Wuerttemberg.

Parents: Pak-Turk institutions’ control should not be transferred

Pak-Turk International’s Parents and Teachers Association (PTA) on Tuesday stressed against transferring the institutions’ control to other organisations as it will affect the future of its 1500 teachers’ future along with 10,000 students enrolled in 28 schools, colleges. The spokesman urged that if the government found any one from these schools involved in illegal practices, it should take strict action against him.

Qatar deports 45 Turkish nationals over Gülen links

Pro-government Sabah daily newspaper claimed on Saturday that 45 Turkish nationals were deported from Qatar for having links to the Gulen movement. The daily said two of those 45 people — academic Zekeriya Özşevik and his wife Derya Özşevik — were detained upon their arrival to Istanbul, giving no detail about the whereabouts of the others.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Peace Islands Institute hosts iftar in NY

Prominent businessman Akın İpek pledges huge support to Kimse Yok Mu

Irregularities mark so-called Cabinet decision on Kimse Yok Mu

Understanding the Hizmet Movement in Nigeria

Turkish Cleric, Accused in Coup Plot, Calls Crackdown ‘Dark Pages’ in History

Hizmet movement and military coups

Kimse Yok Mu delivers humanitarian assistance to Yazidis, Turkmens

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News