Erdogan’s Purge Stretches All The Way To Pakistan


Date posted: December 5, 2017

Naeem Sahoutara

A Turkish family is rushing out to a weekend protest in this populous Pakistani city; outside the Karachi Press Club, Turkish residents release doves as a sign of peace; 25 Turkish teachers plea for safety in Pakistan. These Turkish families have lived here for over two decades, teaching at a network of international schools led by Fethullah Gülen, a moderate Islamic cleric from Turkey, who currently lives in the United States.

In the last 16 months, 28 Gülen schools and colleges across Pakistan have been shut down under pressure from the government in Ankara. Staff members now face deportation and some say they are feeling unsafe in Pakistan for the first time.

In July 2016, a failed coup attempt sent shock waves through Turkey. President Recep Tayyip Erdogan blamed the coup on Gülen, his rival, and on Gülen’s followers. In the coup’s wake, Erdogan strengthened his grip on power, cracking down on journalists, academics and real or perceived critics. Some 50,000 people were arrested and most are still detained.

“Journalists, activists, teachers, media workers have been prosecuted on allegations of being linked to Fethullah Gülen or the Gülenist movement,” explained Saroop Ijaz from Human Rights Watch Pakistan. “And there has been an absence of credible evidence to suggest widespread involvement or complicity of the people being prosecuted in Turkey by the present regime in the failed coup attempt,” he said.

At its height, the Gülen network had about 2000 schools around the world, teaching Gülen’s brand of Islam, which promotes charity and service. But critics say the schools also raised funds and increased the influence of Erdogan’s rival in Turkey.

After the attempted coup, Erdogan pressured foreign governments to shut down the Gülen schools and deport their staff. Pakistan complied and last November, 1,500 Turkish staff members were ordered to return to Turkey.

The wife of one teacher, identified as Ms. Gulmez, said she was afraid of what awaited them there. “There will be some kind of interrogation and maybe arrests because our names are on their list, as we also heard from our embassy,” she said.

They put all of us in one basket, though we are not violent.

The teachers have appealed the Pakistani government’s decision, stalling the deportation of 78 families, but they are awaiting final verdicts.

Gulmez maintains her innocence. “They put all of us in one basket because of the Gülen group, though we are not violent or mixed in this claimed coup,” she said. Some 300 people from 78 Turkish families have registered with the United Nations Refugee Agency and have been granted asylum for a year, until next November.

But Yilmaz’s husband, the teacher, says that has offered little safety. “We somehow felt safe in Pakistan, we lived here under the umbrella of the UNHCR,” he said. But that changed on Sept. 17, when it was reported that some families had been abducted from their homes. Since then, he said, “the people, the families, the ladies, the kids they feel they are not in safe place anymore.”

Mesut Kacmez, a deputy school principal, and his family were allegedly detained by the Pakistani security agencies in the eastern city of Lahore in September. Weeks later, they were deported to Turkey against their will.

Saroop Ijaz, a Human Rights Watch lawyer, says Pakistan has a duty to protect the teachers, instead of giving in to Turkey’s demands. Pakistan must not “put its international credibility and its compliance with international obligations at risk” in order to carry out the Turkish government’s political objectives, Ijaz says. “I think it’s completely unacceptable and also a violation of international law.”

Source: Worldcrunch , December 5, 2017


Related News

Turkey purge victims unable to find jobs, leave country

“It’s a kind of civil death,” Kerem Altiparmak, a human rights lawyer and political science professor at Ankara University told Los Angeles Times on Wednesday when describing how the lives of thousands of people change after the July 15 coup attempt.

Taliban Shuts Down Turkish Schools in Afghanistan

Kate Clark Taleban shuts more Afghan schools BBC reported that Taleban shut down schools opened by Gulen Movement in Afghanistan. Schools were providing contemperary education for free. Girls and women are hard hit by the Taleban’s stance on education. Below is the story by BBC. Six schools run by a Turkish Islamic group have been […]

Romania denies extradition request for Turkish teacher over Gülen links

A Romanian judge on Wednesday rejected a Turkish request for the extradition of a 24-year-old teacher arrested by police and sought by the authorities in Ankara over links to the faith-based Gülen movement.

Current defamation campaign against Hizmet was part of Ergenekon scheme

A major campaign launched by the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government and media organs to defame and discredit the Hizmet movement was among the plans of the Ergenekon network, which once attempted a coup d’état against the AK Party.

‘Turkish schools in Nigeria are not owned by government of Turkey’

Cemal Yigit is a member of Hizmet Movement, founder of the Nigerian Turkish International Colleges (NTIC). In this interview, he reacts to the recent declaration by the Turkish President that he would push for the close down all Turkish schools outside Turkey.

Foes on the Run as Erdogan Makes Power Personal

Members of the Gulen religious movement insist they are innocent of plotting against President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey, but he has chased them into the shadows, and they fear for their lives and livelihoods. At the same time, Mr. Erdogan has increasingly made himself the face of Turkey’s state, and now he is seeking more authority to rule.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Turkish charity Kimse Yok Mu drills 1,396 wells in Africa

Hospitality conference draws strong participation in Bangkok

Behind the secret documents – Turkish government profiled a large number of individuals

American academic: Hizmet Movement serves for entire humanity

Who are these pro-Erdogan mobs who even beheaded a soldier?

Government files complaint against daily for exposing plot against Gülen

UN Interfaith Iftar Dinner

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News