Purge-victim family drowns in the Aegean Sea off Turkey


Date posted: November 21, 2017

A Turkish family of five has reportedly drowned after a boat capsized in the Aegean Sea, off the western coast of Turkey, according to several Turkish media outlets.

The victims have reportedly been sought by the Turkish government over their links to the Gülen group, which is accused of masterminding a coup attempt in July 15, 2016.

The group denies any involvement.

The Turkish medai said all 5 victims, including three children, were of Turkish origin. They were reportedly en route to Lesbos, a Greek island in the northern Aegean Sea off the coast of Turkey.

The names are the alleged victims are as follows: Hüseyin Maden, his wife Nur Maden, and the couple’s children Nadire Maden, Bahar Maden and Feridun Maden.

The claim has not yet been verified by the Turkish authorities.

It has become common in the post-coup Turkey that the government cancels Gulen-linked peoples’ passports, falsely registering them as lost or stolen, and leading Gulenists to attempt illegal departure from the country.

After the failed attempt, Turkish government has initiated a witch-hunt against the followers of the Gülen group. More than 128,000 people have been detained and 58,000 were put in pre-trial arrest since July 15, 2016. Those imprisoned included hundreds of academics, students, writers, journalists and housewives.

 

Source: Turkey Purge , November 21, 2017


Related News

Fethullah Gülen’s Message of Condolences and Condemnation of the Terrorist Attack in Istanbul

Fethullah Gülen: I condemn, in the strongest terms, the cruel terrorist attack carried out beside the Istanbul Beşiktaş Football Stadium that cost the lives of 44 of Turkish citizens, the majority of whom are members of the security forces.

Anonymous witnesses fail to identify suspects they earlier tipped off as Gulenist

An anonymous witness in Denizli failed to identify any of the 145 suspects, earlier accused of being followers of the Gulen movement, during a court hearing on Oct. 30. The judge in charge loudly read the names, however Aslan did not remember any of them. The judge asked: “Did you tip off about some names during your statement to the prosecutor, is that right?”

Hizmet movement and perceptions

We are going through a very critical period. We need the common sense and support of all the precious members of the Hizmet movement as we have never needed them before. We must protect our democratic gains. I pen this article as a person who closely sided with the Hizmet movement during the attacks of Ergenekon — a clandestine organization nested within the state trying to overthrow or manipulate the democratically elected government — and the deep state, and who backed its justified objections to the government’s plan to shut down the prep schools.

Gov’t cancels Kimse Yok Mu’s previously obtained permissions

Following an abrupt Cabinet decision to remove the status of public interest of Kimse Yok Mu, the largest volunteer and global aid organization based in Turkey, the government has also cancelled the charity’s previously obtained permissions to collect donation until the end of this year.

Kimse Yok Mu awaiting permission from governor’s office to help martyrs’ families

The İstanbul Governor’s Office has not yet granted permission to the Kimse Yok Mu charity, which aimed to raise TL 7,275,000 in aid for the families of security personnel who died during the fight against terror, despite having sent a proposal to the governor’s office over a month ago, Kimse Yok Mu President İsmail Cingöz said on Tuesday.

Turkey’s post-coup purge and persecution makes no exception for children

A post-coup purge in Turkey is continuing to take a huge toll on human life, making no exceptions for children. The Stockholm Center for Freedom has compiled data regarding seven children struggling with a mortal disease in the absence of their fathers.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Eid-al Adha Holiday Tradition Benefits Local Soup Kitchen

“It’s a religious duty to establish love and tolerance in society”

AK Party government removing critical voices from state bodies

Nigerians to showcase culture at Abuja festival

Diverse community enjoys feast at Turkic American Alliance iftar

FM Davutoglu praises Fethullah Gülen’s contribution to education

Rumi Forum bestows Peace and Dialogue Awards

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News