Nazarbayev says Kazakh-Turk schools belong to Kazakhstan, no extradition of teachers


Date posted: September 14, 2017

Kazakh President Nursultan Nazarbayev said on Thursday that Kazakh-Turk high schools that are allegedly linked to the faith-based Gülen movement belong to Kazakhstan and that Turkish teachers working at those schools will not be extradited to Turkey unless they are proven guilty of a crime.

Speaking during a press conference at the presidential palace in Astana, Nazarbayev said his Turkish counterpart, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, had informed him several times about the schools and demanded that the teachers be extradited to Turkey, the Zamanaustralia.com websitereported.

Underlining that the teachers working at the schools in Kazakhstan are innocent until proven guilty, Nazarbayev said, “I told [Erdoğan] that I cannot do anything wrong against those teachers because they are not guilty here [in Kazakhstan].”

He also said that Turkish teachers working in Kazakh-Turk schools wrote letters to him saying they will be subjected to imprisonment, violence and torture if they are extradited to Turkey.

Nazarbayev further underlined that the schools were earlier transferred to a trust under the Kazakh education ministry and are not connected to US-based Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, who is accused by Erdoğan and the Turkish government of masterminding a failed coup in Turkey last year.

“Those [Turkish teachers] who are here [in Kazakhstan] are not guilty. If you [Turkey] present any evidence proving they are guilty, we can look into it by means of Kazakh institutions. We cannot jail innocent people or hand them over to you. I said that, and this is the deal. End of discussion,” he said.

A military coup attempt on July 15, 2016 killed 249 people and wounded more than a thousand others. Immediately after the putsch, the Justice and Development Party (AKP) government along with President Erdoğan pinned the blame on the Gülen movement.

Gülen, whose views inspired the movement, strongly denied having any role in the failed coup and called for an international investigation into it, but Erdoğan and the government initiated a widespread purge aimed at cleansing sympathizers of the movement from within state institutions, dehumanizing its popular figures and putting them in custody.

Erdoğan also launched a witch-hunt against Gülen followers worldwide resulting in the extradition and detention of Gülen-linked teachers and businessmen and their families in several countries, including Malaysia, Myanmar, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Georgia, Azerbaijan and Somalia.

 

Source: Turkish Minute , September 14, 2017


Related News

Students from 70 countries celebrate graduation in Turkey

Turkish Confederation of Businessmen and Industrialists (TUSKON) Chairman Rızanur Meral, Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV) Chairman Mustafa Yeşil and writers Reşit Haylamaz and Mehmet Akar attended the graduation ceremony of international students who had come to Turkey from nearly 70 countries.

Columnist sees Gülen ‘conspiracy’ in ruling against Israel

Presenting the Gülen movement as the architect of the court ruling may help the government deal with a possible backlash from families, the İHH — an outspoken supporter of the government’s Middle East policies — and a wider segment of its own voters who want Israeli officials to pay for the Mavi Marmara raid, in case a reconciliation deal with Israel goes into effect. Internationally, it may help the government deal with Israeli and Western criticism that it is not committed to reconciliation with Israel despite officially vowing that it is.

Turkey Coup: Fethulah Gulen Is Not A Terrorist

Fethulah Gulen did not fall from the sky or moon, he has a history that is in the public domain, the question is why did it take Erdogan too long to realize that Gulen is a terrorist? All through the years of robust relationship between Fethulah and Erdogan there was no accusation that Gulen was a terrorist, why now?

‘Parallel state’ and ‘theft of national will’

There is not a single piece of concrete evidence indicating that prosecutors and police officers had acted in contravention of laws and regulations in the investigation into the corruption claims that implicated some former Cabinet members and their sons. However, these public officials who performed their lawful duties in full compliance with the principles of transparency, accountability and equality — which are fundamental characteristics of the regimes that uphold the rule of law — were recklessly accused by the prime minister and his cronies of being the “parallel state.

Police raid successful Gülen-inspired schools in western Turkey

Just after another Gülen-inspired school was raided by the police in the southern province of Gaziantep on Monday, private schools established by the volunteers from the Hizmet Movement were raided in the western province of İzmir on Tuesday morning.

Toward a party state

At this point, the only thing Erdoğan can do is manufacture false charges and evidence against the Hizmet movement, which wouldn’t be persuasive. In a normal democratic state where the rule of law is cherished, there must be concrete evidence to press charges against anyone, and those so charged are presumed innocent until they are proven guilty. In a party state, however, imaginary charges are first voiced and then meddlesome public authorities manufacture crimes and criminals to fit those charges.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Turkey’s Witch-Hunt Against the Gülen Movement Should Stop

I am the mastermind behind the failed Turkish coup attempt! I am Mr. Gulen’s secret ‘abi’

Woman says she miscarried baby due to stress under police custody

Former Dutch FM: I don’t understand Erdoğan’s Hizmet hatred

Cold Turkey: Erdogan’s withdrawal from democracy

Deporting Turkish teachers – Why can’t we separate politics from education?

Why does Öcalan need to approach the Gülen movement?

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News