Turkey builds 50 more prisons for Gülenists: Justice Minister


Date posted: September 7, 2017

Turkish Justice Ministry Undersecretary Kenan İpek on Tuesday said more than 50 prisons are under construction for the incarceration of people linked to the Gülen group, Habertürk reported.

“More than 50 prisons have been under construction for FETÖ [a derogatory term invented by the government against Gülen movement people]. Each of them have a capacity for 1,000 people,” İpek told journalists during a reception held for the new judicial year in Ankara on Tuesday.

Turkey survived a military coup attempt on July 15, 2016 that killed 249 people and wounded more than a thousand others. Immediately after the putsch the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) government along with President Tayyip Erdoğan pinned the blame on the Gülen movement.

Fethullah Gülen, who inspired the movement, strongly denied having any role in the failed coup and called for an international investigation into it, but President Erdoğan — calling the coup attempt “a gift from God” — and the government initiated a widespread purge aimed at cleansing sympathizers of the movement from within state institutions, dehumanizing its popular figures and putting them in custody.

Turkey’s Justice Ministry announced on July 13 that 50,510 people have been arrested and 169,013 have been the subject of legal proceedings on coup charges since the failed coup.

İpek’s statement has been criticized on social media as an admission of 50,000 more arrests of Gülen movement followers without any court case, while some compared prisons for Gülen movement people to concentration camps.

At least 22,000 inmates are forced to sleep on the floor as the prison population has exceeded 224,000 for the first time in Turkey’s history, the artigercek news website reported last week.

In August, the Turkish Justice Ministry announced that out of 381 prisons in Turkey, 139 of them were built in the last 10 years and 38 were constructed last year.

Justice Ministry Deputy Undersecretary Basri Bağcı informed Parliament in May said that seventy-six prisons are under construction, 113 prisons are in process and 18 more are planned.

Tens of thousands of people are replacing real criminals in Turkey’s prisons as a result of the purge that has been targeting journalists, businesspeople, academics, and others from all walks of life without due process.

Turkey’s post-coup witch-hunt against followers of the faith-based Gülen movement is tantamount to genocide, Renee Vaugeois, a Canadian human rights specialist, said in an interview in July.

“This a targeted war on a specific group of people in Turkey and to me that speaks to genocide,” Vaugeois, the executive director of the Edmonton-based John Humphrey Centre for Peace & Human Rights, told the state-run CBC news.

The government and President Erdoğan recently announced that Gülen movement people under arrest would be required to wear identical prison uniforms when appearing in court.

Source: Turkey Purge , September 5, 2017


Related News

Students from 70 countries celebrate graduation in Turkey

Turkish Confederation of Businessmen and Industrialists (TUSKON) Chairman Rızanur Meral, Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV) Chairman Mustafa Yeşil and writers Reşit Haylamaz and Mehmet Akar attended the graduation ceremony of international students who had come to Turkey from nearly 70 countries.

The Encyclopedia of Islam and hate speech

Erdoğan’s obvious target was Fethullah Gülen, but it is clear that he also attacked anyone who doesn’t think like him with phrases such as “false prophets,” “fake mystics” and “so-called scholars.” This denigration is problematic especially in terms of secularism. Indeed, the prime minister hurls gross insults at religious interpretations that diverge from his own. In his capacity as a prime minister, he imposes his beliefs and acts onto those who do not think like him. One step beyond these remarks would be the prime minister’s supporters’ resorting to violence against those he places on the bull’s eye.

International community’s Erdoğan problem

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has returned to his agenda of political Islamism since the 2011 elections even though he had rejected it in the past, and he quickly set out to implement his plan to purge the Hizmet movement, a plan he had made long ago.

Joint mosque-cemevi project will contribute to peace in Turkey

Protests against a joint mosque-cemevi (Alevi house of worship) complex project are meaningless because the project will help alleviate tensions between Alevis and Sunnis in Turkey, Alevi community leaders said on Monday. During the groundbreaking ceremony of the complex in Ankara on Sunday, a group of nearly 500 people protested against the project, clashing with […]

Erdoğan’s efforts to destroy the Gulen movement aimed at consolidating his own power and regime

Hermann says Erdoğan’s efforts to destroy the Hizmet movement are aimed at consolidating his own power and regime. “Erdoğan wants to wipe out everyone whom he sees as a rival. There are not many left to challenge him. That left the Hizmet movement as a corrective force. The movement is a danger to him.

Jailed woman in hospital for delivery to be returned to jail with new-born

Ayse Ates who has been in the jail for 4 months is in the hospital but will be returned to the jail after giving birth, reports Set Them Free, a website devoted to women, children and babies in the jails in Turkey.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Fountain Magazine goes digital with 92nd edition

KCK suspect Ersanlı says doesn’t believe Hizmet behind coup, terror trials

This is too much! [About the Lies and Slanders directed to Gulen movement]

Gulen Movement, civilian governments and the AK Party

Turkish police raid media close to cleric rival Gulen, detain 24

12-year-old claims asylum with UN as father caught in Erdogan’s anti-Gülen dragnet in Saudi Arabia

Turkey fails to channel money into industry: TUSKON

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News