Pro-gov’t news portal proposes ways to execute Gülen followers


Date posted: July 17, 2017

Following President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s promise “to cut off traitors’ heads,” the pro-government media called for an Ottoman-like solution for the execution of people linked to the Gülen movement, which Erdoğan accuses of masterminding a coup attempt in Turkey on July 15, 2016.

“This is an example of execution in the days where decisions were taken without losing time on investigations, interrogations and court procedures for people who rebelled against the state,” said news website Haber7 in a tweet on Sunday posted with a headline reading “The ideal execution method for FETÖ [a derogatory term coined by Erdoğan and the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) government to refer to members of the Gülen movement] was used by the Ottomans” along with an Ottoman miniature depicting the execution of people hung by hooks in their stomachs.

The social media message came a day after Erdoğan targeted people linked to the Gülen movement while speaking to a crowd of thousands at the July 15 Martyrs’ Bridge on the anniversary of the failed coup attempt.

“We’re not just some nomadic tribe, we are a nation. They, however, are a disease, disease. That’s the difference,” said Erdoğan.

“First we will cut off traitors’ heads,” said Erdoğan while underlining that there were other powers behind the movement.

With regard to a coup suspect who appeared before a judge with a T-shirt reading “Hero” in English last week, Erdoğan said: “We recently spoke to Mr. Prime Minister. They should wear uniforms like they do at Guantanamo [prison] when going to court.”

Source: Turkish Minute , July 16, 2017


Related News

Gülen-linked woman dies in Greece as she waits to join husband in Germany

Esma Uludağ, a 35-year-old Turkish woman who fled to Greece due to an ongoing government-led crackdown on the followers of the Gülen movement, died of a heart attack on Saturday night as she was waiting to join her husband in Germany.

Police waiting at hospital to detain İzmir woman after childbirth

Police are waiting at an İzmir hospital to detain Gülçin Çetinel, a Turkish woman who gave birth to her first baby early on Thursday, over alleged links to Turkey’s Gülen group.

‘I wanted to die during torture’ – teacher speaks on 2016 coup arrest

A report titled Mass Torture and Ill-Treatment in Turkey which was published in June 2017 by the Sweden-based Stockholm Center for Freedom (SCF), declared that the torture, abuse, and ill-treatment of detainees and prisoners in Turkey have become the norm rather than the exception.

Don’t lose the plot

Turkey’s attempted coup shocked an already tense society. At least 240 people were killed, and the country narrowly averted a disastrous military takeover. The plot was led in part by followers of the Gulen movement, a secretive Muslim sect that runs a global network of schools, charities and businesses and has infiltrated the Turkish state. It is only natural that Turks should be determined to identify and punish the conspirators.

CHP leader says Erdoğan’s UN speech only served to promote Gülen movement

Republican People’s Party (CHP) leader Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu has criticized a speech delivered by Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan at a UN meeting on Tuesday in which he called on world leaders to take measures against the faith-based Gülen movement, saying that Erdoğan’s speech only served to promote the Gülen movement.

PM threatens business, media and civic groups amid corruption woes

In several veiled references to the Hizmet movement, inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen who has been critical of the government for trying to derail the corruption investigation, the prime minister claimed that the operation was orchestrated by “gangs” and a “parallel state.”

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

PM’s discourse over ‘no family, children’ offensive, hurtful

Turkish aid organization becomes direct target of AK Party

Don’t be fooled by Hizmet conspiracy theories

Major reshuffle in Turkish judiciary amid graft probe row

Arınç says Gülen’s offer to hand over prep schools ‘sacrifice’

Today’s Zaman offers condolences to families of mine victims

Prime minister’s inconsistencies raise eyebrows

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News