Policeman, teacher wife and premature baby under arrest over Gülen links


Date posted: June 19, 2017

Fatma Cetin, an Erzurum teacher who was earlier dismissed from public school as part of the government’s post-coup crackdown against the Gülen movement, has been under arrest along with her premature baby, Sozcu columnist Emin Colasan revealed.

Cetin’s husband, who had been dismissed as a police officer over similar charges, was also imprisoned 11 months ago.

“Dear Mr. Emin, I am writing this letter to you from Erzurum Closed Prison. If you get the letter, please read every line of it very carefully. Because, it will show the pain deep inside me. I can’t make our voices heard otherwise,” Colasan published Fatma’s letter in his Sunday column.

“When my husband was arrested [in July, 2016], I was 7-month-old pregnant. The baby’s development slowed down due to the stress we experienced and I had to give birth to a premature baby in the 8th month of my pregnancy. My baby spent some time in an incubator.

“Difficulties were yet to simmer down. While I was on maternity leave, I was also suspended as a teacher on Oct 13 and ultimately dismissed on Feb 7. After nearly two months, I was arrested on membership to FETO. I took along my premature infant only a week after my arrest.”

FETO stands for alleged Fethullahist Terrorist Organization, which the government coined to label the Gulen movement terrorist. The government accuses the movement of being behing the July 15, 2016 coup attempt while the latter denies involvement.

“As I lived apart from my baby for a week, I poured my breast milk to washbasin in cries. You can imagine how hard this would be for a mother.”

Fatma also shared details on daily routine in prison: “30 people live in an 8-person-holding cell. The 29th person was 4-year-old Hasan and 30th was my baby, Melek. There is no space to move in the holding cell where every corner is occupied by bunk beds. Even when you whisper, you can’t someone else hearing it and my baby is not able to sleep regularly. She is also forced to eat from the menu adults were provided in jail. She has even no space to crawl. And, I am not gonna go into details about hygiene in prison as we, 30 people, all use the same bathroom and washroom.”

“We an elementary family of three and all of us including my baby are under arrest. What role would I have played in the coup attempt when I was 7-month-pregnant to a baby that we wanted to have for three years. Was the pencil that I use as a teacher considered as a weapon?” she concluded.

 

Source: Turkey Purge , June 18, 2017


Related News

Turkish family kept at Kiev airport for days at Turkey’s request

A Turkish family that was reportedly detained by Ukrainian authorities on Thursday, have been kept in a room at Kiev Boryspil Airport for three days, waiting to be deported to Turkey, according to a video recording the family members posted on social media.

Religious freedom threatened by Turkey’s response to coup

From his self-imposed exile in Pennsylvania, Gulen has disavowed any association with the coup attempt. “My philosophy — inclusive and pluralist Islam, dedicated to service to human beings from every faith — is antithetical to armed rebellion,” Gulen wrote for The New York Times.

Erdogan blackmails President-Elect Trump

“Turkey desperately wants the U.S. government to extradite an imam [Turkish cleric Fethullah Gulen],” Maddow explained. “They [the U.S.] have said that they are not extraditing him. But if that’s what you wanted, what if you could squeeze the personal financial interests of the American president as a way to get what you want from the American government?”

Turkish community leader in Hampshire condemns Russian ambassador’s assassination

“We are shocked and deeply saddened to learn of the tragic assassination of Russia’s Ambassador to Turkey, Andrei Karlov, who was speaking at an art gallery in Ankara,” said Eyup Sener, chairman of the Turkish Cultural Center New Hampshire. “We condemn in the strongest terms this heinous act of terror. No terrorist act can be justified, regardless of its perpetrators and their stated purposes.”

UK Parliament: No evidence that Gülen, movement behind coup attempt

Contrary to accusations made by President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and the Turkish government, the Foreign Affairs Committee of the UK Parliament has concluded that Fethullah Gülen and the movement he inspired as a whole were not behind a failed coup attempt in Turkey on July 15.

In Conversation with Fethullah Gülen (Interview in Asharq Al-Awsat-I)

While it is a movement inspired by faith, this [Hizmet movement] community of volunteers develops and delivers reasonable and universally acceptable projects which are in full compliance with humanitarian values and which aim to promote individual freedoms, human rights and peaceful coexistence for all people regardless of their faith.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Minister: Turkish gov’t racks up $5 bln in confiscation of Gülen-linked properties

Teacher detained in Turkey after forced return from Myanmar

Indian scholar: Fethullah Gülen a great blessing for Turkey, World

Erdoğan’s game plan for Hizmet

CHP: Anti-Hizmet ops were part of agreement between Erdoğan, military

Moldova Rights Activists Target Erdogan at Football Match

Kimse Yok Mu continues to care for needy Pakistanis

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News