12-year-old claims asylum with UN as father caught in Erdogan’s anti-Gülen dragnet in Saudi Arabia


Date posted: May 7, 2017

The 12-year-old T.K. has claimed asylum with the United Nations (UN) office in Saudi Arabia alone after his/her father was detained by Saudi officials as part of what many say President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s ever-growing witch-hunt against the Gulen movement that has spread to overseas in the recent past.

Yet, his/her refugee claim has been rejected.

Saudi authorities put travel ban on all Turkish nationals in their country with links to the Gulen movement, which the Turkish government accuses of masterminding the July 15 coup attempt, Turkish online news portal Haberdar said.

Eleven Turkish nationals in four Saudi cities were further detained on March 15 and were kept in a hotel in Madinah for weeks, until they were deported to Turkey on May 4, according to a letter sent to Turkeypurge.com. His/her father, identified with initials A.K., a cancer patient who earns his living on selling dates, is reportedly among those detained.

Haberdar reported on May 6 that T.K. applied to UN for refugee protection alone while his/her father A.K. was in custody in Madinah hotel with his/her mother in Canada to visit his/her brother. Upon refusal, T.K. was too deported to Turkey along with his father, Haberdar said.

In a similar case, three Gulen-linked Turkish people were detained by Malaysian officials in Kuala Lumpur over the past week. Human Rights Watch and UN Human Rights Office for South-East Asia shared concern over the accusations that the detainees were charged as Malaysian officials made controversial remarks on the detention reason.

Source: Turkey Purge , May 7, 2017


Related News

Another Gülenist teacher at risk of deportation from Bosnia

Fatih Keskin, a Turkish educator and the principal of Una-Sana College, an institute operating within the Gülen-affiliated Richmond Park Schools Group, was detained by the police in Bihać city.

Purge-victim businessman dies of cancer days after being released from prison

Engin Erol, 41, a Turkish businessman who was jailed three years ago on allegations of membership in the Gülen group, died on Thursday evening in a hospital from cancer, which was not treated properly in the prison where he was held until the last stage of his illness.

Gülen calls on int’l community to pressure Turkey over rights violations

Turkish-Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has made a call to the international community, asking them to warn Turkish authorities to take the necessary measures to restore the rule of law and protect fundamental human rights in the country.

NY Times Editorial Board: Mr. Erdogan’s Reckless Revenge

At such a time, one would hope for a leader willing and eager to unify his people under the rule of law, to reaffirm democratic values and to address the grievances that motivated the plotters in the first place. So far, Mr. Erdogan seems determined to fail this test of leadership.

Education Ministry sought to profile students, teachers through surveys

A new document obtained by Today’s Zaman suggests that the Education Ministry sought in 2012 to profile students and teachers at some prep schools based on their religious and ideological backgrounds through questionnaires handed out to students at state schools. According to the document, the ministry ordered inspectors to visit state schools across the country […]

Turkish editor hits out at media coercion under Erdoğan

Segments of the Turkish media remain fiercely anti-government, however, including secularist dailies Sözcü and Cumhuriyet, and more recently Zaman and Bugün, which are close to Gülen and have become more critical since the graft scandal erupted.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Today’s Zaman praised for quality coverage on 6th anniversary

Nigerian Turkish Nile University: Moulding the Lives of Young Nigerians

Gülen underlines values, rejects alliance with political party or leader

Hakan in Turkey, Sukur in Africa!

The Gülen community and the AKP

Why the West ‘failed to understand’ Turkey

Pakistan – Side effects of the coup in Turkey

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News