Turkey: Post-coup prisoner says threatened with rape, beaten almost to death


Date posted: April 9, 2017

In the latest of firsthand letters revealing the re-emergence of torture in Turkish prisons, an Antalya arrestee reportedly said he was beaten so badly that he blacked out for some time and was also threatened with rape.

Detained after a routine police check on Jan. 5, Z.G. spent 12 days in detention at the Antalya police station before he was ultimately put in pre-trial detention, according to online news website Aktif Haber. He is accused of membership in a terrorist organization, the most common charge the Turkish government has resorted to when detaining 97,000 people in the aftermath of a July 15 coup attempt.

“I was sitting with my Ph.D. student friend and my advisor at a restaurant in Yakut Bazaar near Akdeniz University on Thursday. We were stopped by the police after we left the restaurant. … They forced me and my friend into a police car without any explanation,” Z.G. said, adding that he was beaten by a group of policeman at the Antalya police station’s department of anti-smuggling and organized crime.

“I was lying still on the floor, shocked by what just happened to me. …. Meanwhile they were swearing at me: Son of a bitch,” he said.

The letter was published by Aktif Haber with a picture of a piece from a handwritten text, believed to be Z.G.’s, on April 4.

Z.G. said police officers were asking him to give up the structure of the terrorist organization he was accused of being a member of.

“Then they made me assume the  dog position. … One of them, named Rafet, started sliding a baton between his thumb and forefinger and threatened me: ‘I will drive this baton in and out of your butt for 30 days, I will leave you near the homosexuals on Antalya’s 100th Boulevard’.”

“I will do the same to your wife,” Rafet reportedly continued.

Z.G. said police officers turned on air conditioners to make the holding cell uncomfortable and that he got sick in the end.

Criminals in the holding cell are forced to intimidate perceived terror prisoners, Z.G. also said.

On Oct. 27 of last year, in a 43-page report titled “A Blank Check: Turkey’s Post-Coup Suspension of Safeguards Against Torture,” Human Rights Watch documented 13 specific abuse incidents concerning Turkey’s post-coup detainees. The alleged abuse cases ranged from the use of stress positions and sleep deprivation to severe beatings, sexual abuse and the threat of rape.

Human rights group Amnesty International also reported on July 24 that it had received credible evidence of detainees in Turkey being subjected to beatings and torture, including rape, since a failed coup on July 15.


Related News

Erdogan vows for genocide of Gulen sympathizers: “We will not give them the right to life!”

Erdoğan’s Religious Guide Approved Torture And Abuse In Turkey

Turkish cleric demands fatwa to amputate hands, feet of Gülen followers

 

 

Source: Turkish Minute , April 8, 2017


Related News

PM Erdoğan continues with insults, threats against Hizmet movement

Erdoğan put the blame on the “parallel state,” claiming that the whole thing was a plot against the government. Instead of explaining why manager of public bank Halkbank had $4.5 million placed in shoeboxes and why son of former minister of interior, had TL 1.5 million ($0.7 million) in safety boxes in his house when police arrived to take them under custody.

The AKP-Israeli thaw

A huge propaganda machine is working against the Hizmet movement, both in Turkey and across the world.

Parents react to auditor, police raid of Hizmet-inspired school

In yet another government-backed operation targeting the Gülen movement (Hizmet movement), four tax inspectors from the Finance Ministry and a number of police officers conducted a raid on Saturday at a private school affiliated with the movement in the southern province of Adana, leading to protests from parents of the school’s students.

Saudi Scholar al-Qarni: Gulen serves with wisdom

One of the most celebrated scholars of Saudi Arabia and the Arab world at large, Sheikh Aaidh al-Qarni delivered sermons on “Tabi’in” (a referral to the people who lived in an age right after the Prophet Muhammad’s companions’ generation) at several salatin mosques (mosques built by Ottoman sultans) in Istanbul, on June 1 thru 9. […]

78 detained for raising money for post-coup purge victims

At least 78 people who are accused of raising money for post-coup purge victims were detained in an Antalya-based operation into the Gülen movement on Thursday.

Kosovo PM Haradinaj: Deportation of Turkish citizens was hasty

Kosovo Prime Minister Ramush Haradinaj reported to a parliamentary commission on Friday about the deportation of six Turkish citizens earlier this year.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Debating the constitution

Barton: Erdoğan intoxicated by power, imperiling democracy in Turkey

Yeni Asya editor: Erdoğan kept strategy to finish off Gülen movement secret

JWF organized a side-event at UN in Geneva

Guinean president thanks officials from Turkish schools for educational efforts

President Zuma sends message to the South African – Turkish Business Association Business Awards

Buhari’s wife hails culture

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News