Pakistan – Turkish teachers, students not to be deported, court told

Pakistani students of the Pak-Turk International school comfort their Turkish teacher in Lahore, Pakistan, Nov. 17, 2016. (AP Photo/K.M. Chaudhry)
Pakistani students of the Pak-Turk International school comfort their Turkish teacher in Lahore, Pakistan, Nov. 17, 2016. (AP Photo/K.M. Chaudhry)


Date posted: March 31, 2017

The federal government Wednesday told the Lahore High Court that Turkish national teachers and students of PakTurk International Schools would not be deported.

During hearing of a petition by Mehmet Ali Seker and others associated with the PakTurk Educational Foundation, Attorney General Ashtar Ausaf stated that the Turkish national teachers/students had filed applications to the United Nations to declare them refugees. He said the government had no plan to deport the Turkish teachers and students before any decision by the UN. In light of the attorney general’s statement, Justice Syed Mazahar Ali Akbar Naqvi disposed of the petition.

The petitioners had submitted that they had been lawfully residing in Pakistan against “NGO” category visas abiding by the laws of the country having clean and unblemished record. They said the interior ministry declined to extend visas of the petitioners without disclosing any reason.

They said the ministry ordered deportation of the petitioners and other Turkish national employees of the foundation. Some of the petitioners and their families possessing valid visas till first month of 2017 were also ordered to be deported, they added. The petitioners said the ministry was planning a smooth takeover of the foundation in favour of a different organisation owing to domestic politics in Turkey.

They said the government also cancelled registration of the foundation by promulgating a new Companies Ordinance of 2016. They argued that the acts of the government amounted to indirectly winding up the foundation without any legal course and consent of its directors. They pleaded that the petitioners and their families could not be deported until they were not afforded an ample opportunity of hearing.

Model Town case: A full bench of the Lahore High Court Wednesday directed the registrar office to consolidate petitions of Inspector General Police, Punjab and Idara Minhajul Quran pertaining to Model Town killings’ case.

The bench headed by Justice Muhammad Yawar Ali issued notices to the parties and adjourned hearing until April 27. During the hearing, the bench dismissed the petition of former Lahore DCO Usman observing that the petition was not maintainable after appearing before the court. Inspector General Police, Punjab Mushtaq Ahmad Sukhera had challenged the orders of an anti-terrorism court in which he and other officials had been summoned for trial in Model Town killings’ case in 2014. On Saturday, Idara Minhajul Quran filed a writ petition challenging the decision of the trial court to the extent of not summoning Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif, Punjab Law Minister Rana Sanaullah and others. The petitioner had requested the court that the order of the trial court to the extent of not summoning 12 respondents including the PM be set aside and the court be ordered to summon them. It may be mentioned here that it is first time since the Model Town incident in 2014 that a full bench has been constituted to take up these petitions against the orders of the ATC.

Notices: The Lahore High Court on Wednesday issued notices to the federal government and Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) on a writ petition seeking cancellation of 325 political parties’ registration. Advocate Safdar Gill contended in his petition that all the political parties were bound to submit details of their assets and tax with the ECP under Political Parties Act of 1962. He said only eight out of a total 333 major and small political parties filed their income tax returns. The petitioner said that no political party declared income resources and assets for year 2016.  The petitioner said the ECP remained oblivious to the issue and took no action against the parties. He prayed to the court to order the ECP to cancel the registration of 325 political parties for violating Section 13 of the Political Parties Act. The chief justice issued notices to the respondents for May 2.

Source: The International News , March 30, 2017


Related News

Afghan education minister recommends Turkish schools in each province

Congratulating the Turkish teachers working at the schools in Afghanistan, Minister Wardak said that they were “highly respected.” He went on to praise the teachers who “leave behind their families and their cherished hometowns, leaving wonderful cities like İstanbul and Ankara and all that is near and dear to them to serve the Afghan nation and Afghan children.”

Trump’s Top Military Adviser Is Lobbying For Obscure Company With Ties To Turkish Government

An intelligence consulting firm founded by retired Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn, Donald Trump’s top military adviser, was recently hired as a lobbyist by an obscure Dutch company with ties to Turkey’s government and its president, Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Human Rights Watch Director: This is a political purge… pure and simple!

Kenneth Roth, Human Rights Watch Director: No one pretends there were 90,000 coup plotters. This is a political purge, pure and simple. Erdogan’s Turkey.

Romanian appeals court denies Turkey’s request for extradition of Erdoğan critic

The Bucharest Court of Appeal has denied the extradition of educator Fatih Gürsoy on dubious terrorism charges brought by the government of President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and underlined the fact that the Lumina Educational Institutions “operates according to the Romanian law.”

Turkish trade’s center of gravity shifting in TUSKON bridges

Over the last six years, the Turkish Confederation of Businessmen and Industrialists (TUSKON) has introduced a new concept to trade fair organizations: World Trade Bridges. These programs have evolved over time and become internationally recognized trade events in Turkey.

Turkish Olympiads Cultural Festival attended by 3 million visitors in İzmir

Nearly 3 million people attended the Cultural Festival of the 11th International Turkish Olympiads, an event celebrating the Turkish language that will bring together 2,000 students from 140 countries this year. The event, which began on Friday, was held by the Turkish Education Association (TÜRKÇEDER) and attracted considerable interest from both visitors from İzmir and […]

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Int’l students delight Washington in language festival

Client fearfully waiting his turn to be tortured at Ankara police station: lawyer

When Iconic Islamic scholar wins prestigious peace award

Recep Tayyip Erdogan is about to make himself a virtual dictator in Turkey

Hizmet, Gaza and the 14-year-old boy

Abant Platform meeting launches with identity debates in Turkey

Burma/Thailand: Deported Turkish Man at Risk

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News