Monitoring group documents 53 suspicious deaths since coup attempt


Date posted: March 23, 2017

The deaths of 53 individuals who allegedly committed suicide either after being imprisoned, released or due to fear of being taken into custody over perceived links to the July 15 coup attempt should be considered suspicious until a thorough probe is carried out for each case, the Stockholm Freedom Center (SCF) said.

The Sweden-based monitoring group documented in a recent report 53 cases of what it described suspicious deaths both in and outside of Turkish prisons after the coup attempt.

SCF said 22 people were killed while under custody, 5 in police custody and the remaining 26 individuals suspected of having ties to the alleged coup plotters died outside.

The government accuses the Gülen or Hizmet movement of organizing the coup attempt on July 15.

“The Stockholm Center for Freedom observed that relatives of victims were reluctant to provide information about investigating suspicious deaths because they were concerned that they would face punishment and similar problems if authorities became aware of that,” the report read.

“Because of the fact that autopsy reports and investigation files were kept confidential, the information about suspicious deaths had to be obtained mainly from open sources. The government blocks access to information, suppresses the coverage of and does not share documents about these deaths with the public.”

The National Police Department warned all its personnel to obey international rules of detention and to stop using unofficial detention centers days before a delegation from the Committee for the Prevention of Torture (CPT) was to pay a visit to Turkey in order to ascertain if people in custody are subject to any maltreatment in late August, 2016, according to an anonymous tip received by Turkey Purge.

Torture practices ranging from exposure to icy water to rape

SCF said it suspects the officials at official and unofficial detention centers employ torture practices as claimed by some of the statements and criminal complaints made by defendants and their family members.

“These practices range from verbal abuse and threats to physical violence that includes beatings, rape, exposure to icy water, strappado, sleep deprivation, denial of food and water, limiting access to fresh air, restricting exercise and forced alcohol and drug consumption,” the report read.

Source: Turkey Purge , March 21, 2017


Related News

Abant Platform on Africa to convene on Friday

SEVGİ AKARÇEŞME, İSTANBUL The 29th meeting of the Abant Platform, to focus on Africa, will be held from June 28-30 on Lake Abant in the province of Bolu. Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV) Secretary-General Hüseyin Hurmalı told Today’s Zaman on Wednesday that the Abant Platform had established a partnership earlier this year with the African Union, which […]

Turkish Olympiads close with perfect ceremony

A spectacular closing ceremony at İstanbul Atatürk Olimpiyat Stadium in front of 200,000 spectators for the 11th Turkish Language Olympiads has left bittersweet memories, signaling the end of a two-week festival full of poetry, dance, Turkish culture and music. Participants, who came from 130 countries, in this year’s competition wrapped up the two-week long finals […]

Freedom comes with a price

Those who raise demands for democracy and transparency are being raided, arrested or smeared as a result of the government’s reliance on Nazi Germany methods of persecution and oppression.

Recruiting based on ‘color lists’ breach of Constitution

As well as sympathizers of the Hizmet movement, inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, and of the CHP, Kurds and those who took part in the Gezi Park demonstrations are also placed on the “red list,” which means that the candidate should not be employed, according to the report.

Turkey purge victims unable to find jobs, leave country

“It’s a kind of civil death,” Kerem Altiparmak, a human rights lawyer and political science professor at Ankara University told Los Angeles Times on Wednesday when describing how the lives of thousands of people change after the July 15 coup attempt.

Peshawar High Court Restrains Federal Government From Deporting Turkish Teachers Of Pak-Turk School Till Dec 1

The petitioners submitted before the court that Pak-Turk schools had been imparting quality education to hundreds of Pakistani children. They said that the forced deportation of Turkish teachers and other staff members was illegal as they had been provided protection under the Constitution.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Kimse Yok Mu continues relief efforts in Gaza

Court wants up to 11 years for Samanyolu TV director

The Gülen Movement in the public sphere

Whistleblower says gov’t preparing to close down Gülen-inspired schools

Debating the constitution

Nigeria Gives 7-Day Ultimatum to Turkish Government to Release Over 50 Nigerian Students Held in Detention

Fethullah Gülen’s Message for Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News