Another ‘coup suspect’ found dead in Turkish prison, bringing total to 21


Date posted: November 11, 2016

Burak Açıkalın, an engineer who was dismissed from Turkey’s Directorate of Intelligence and arrested following a failed coup on July 15 due to alleged involvement in the attempt, was found dead on Thursday in a prison in Turkey’s Kırıkkale province.

The pro-gov’t Hürriyet daily reported that Açıkalın committed suicide in his cell. Açıkalın’s death was the 21st suspicious suicide among people affected by an ongoing witch-hunt against alleged coup suspects.

An autopsy will be performed as part of an investigation into his death.

Kızılarslan had been serving as an engineer at the directorate and accused of passing secret information to Fuat Avni, an anonymous Twitter user with nearly 3 million followers.

Avni has a credible record of uncovering corruption and irregularities among government officials. He claims to be in the inner circle of President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.

At least 21 people have reportedly committed suicide either after they were imprisoned over ties to the movement or after being linked to the movement outside prison. The relatives of most of them claim that the detainees are not the kind of people to commit suicide, shedding doubt on the official narrative. Rumours also have it that some of the detainees were killed after being subjected to torture under custody. (Turkey Purge)

Source: Turkish Minute , November 10, 2016


Related News

GYV praised for response to accusations about Hizmet movement

GYV Chairman Mustafa Yeşil said the foundation has received very positive reactions to its 11-article statement, adding that many people found the statement an “honorable” and “courteous” one. AK Party Adıyaman deputy Mehmet Metiner said by releasing Tuesday’s statement, the GYV has taken a very valuable step that “spoils the games of some evil circles that want to create hostility between the government and the Hizmet movement.”

Think over extradition request [for Gulen] with care

In a rare public appearance recently, Gülen stated he had nothing to do with the attempt. Nor has Erdogan provided any obvious evidence that Gülen or his movement were plotting anything. Gülen lives quietly in Ross Township. It will take much detailed research to determine whether to grant Erdogan’s request that Gülen be extradited. U.S. officials should base such a move on only the most compelling evidence. Otherwise, they may be sending a lamb into a lion’s den.

Abduction of Kacmaz family – An act of high-handedness

President Erdogan is urging many countries, including Pakistan, to close these schools and deport the Turkish staff. So far, only four out of 176 countries, where international Turkish schools are located, have given a positive response to Erdogan’s demand.

Gülen has strongly rejected comparison to Iran’s Khomeini time and again

Justice Minister Bekir Bozdağ’s recently rehashed allegations that Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen planned to return from the US to Turkey in a way similar to Iran’s revolutionary leader Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini are decades-old discredited claims that have been refuted time and again by Gülen himself in his published statements.

New Constitution expected to eradicate remnants of Feb. 28 coup

Journalist Nazlı Ilıcak told Today’s Zaman that important steps have been taken to eradicate the remnants of Feb. 28 but Turkey needs to take more steps, via a new Constitution, to achieve overall democratization. However, Ilıcak noted that Turkey needs to take further steps towards democratization and settling its major problems, such as the Kurdish problem, through a new Constitution, which she said would contribute to make democratization permanent.

Judge says judiciary still under tutelage, implies gov’t responsible

Even the simplest court decisions are subject to discussion and the trust in the judiciary has been badly damaged. Everyone, including the judiciary and executive bodies, should put forward documents and evidence related to the claims [of the existence of a parallel state],” Constitutional Court President Haşim Kılıç stated.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Kimse Yok Mu and Tuna Foundation lifting up Romanian orphans’ spirit

Gülen Community and Gülen’s Reminder

New constitution must bear spirit of Abant

US intel director: Turkish purge impeding fight against ‘Islamic State’

Fethullah Gülen’s books translated into Kurdish

Turkish Schools in Niger

Circumcision party gifts will build dorm and water wells in Tanzania

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News