Turkish minister: Gülen movement is worse than Nazis

Turkish European Union Affairs Minister and Chief Negotiator Omer Celik. / AFP PHOTO / ADEM ALTAN
Turkish European Union Affairs Minister and Chief Negotiator Omer Celik. / AFP PHOTO / ADEM ALTAN


Date posted: November 7, 2016

Turkey’s European Union Minister Ömer Çelik on Monday portrayed the Gülen movement as being worse than the Nazis, saying the Nazis were like apprentices or primary school students in comparison to members of the movement.

Çelik was reacting to remarks made by Luxembourg Foreign Minister Jean Asselborn that accused Turkish authorities of using methods reminiscent of those employed by the Nazis, in a crackdown following a July coup attempt in Turkey.

“The Luxembourg foreign minister is someone who knows Turkey very well, but there is a lack of knowledge of history here. The [post-coup] practices are not reminiscent of Nazi practices, but rather of those methods employed to fight against the Nazis,” said Çelik as he spoke after a meeting with EU ambassadors in Ankara on Monday.

Speaking to Germany’s Deutschlandfunk radio on Monday Asselborn said: “These are methods, one must say this bluntly, that were used during Nazi rule. And there has been a really, really bad evolution in Turkey since July that we as the European Union cannot simply accept.”

The Turkish minister also criticized calls on the EU to suspend accession talks with Turkey.

“I don’t want Turkey-EU ties to be cut,” he said.

Turkey survived a military coup attempt on July 15 that killed over 240 people and wounded more than a thousand others. Immediately after the putsch, the government along with President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan pinned the blame on the Gülen movement.

Despite Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, whose views inspired the movement, and the movement having denied the accusation, Erdoğan — calling the coup attempt “a gift from God” — and the government launched a widespread purge aimed at cleansing sympathizers of the movement from within state institutions, dehumanizing its popular figures and putting them in custody.

Over 110,000 people have been purged from state bodies, in excess of 80,000 detained and over 36,000 have been arrested since the coup attempt. Arrestees include journalists, judges, prosecutors, police and military officers, academics, governors and even a comedian. Critics argue that lists of Gülen sympathizers were drawn up prior to the coup attempt.

‘EU double standards’

Also lambasting the EU over its stance on the outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) Çelik called on Brussels to end the double standards practiced by its institutions.

“The decision of a Belgian court that does not recognize the PKK as a terror organization is a direct attack on the European Convention on Human Rights,” added Çelik.

Concerning criticism from European capitals concerning the recent arrest of pro-Kurdish Peoples’ Democratic Party (HDP) deputies, the Turkish minister reminded the EU of the Spanish Supreme Court’s verdict in 2003 to close down the Batasuna political party, a decision that was later approved by the European Court of Human Rights.

Source: Turkish Minute , November 7, 2016


Related News

Fethullah Gülen Reiterates No Involvement In Turkey’s Controversial Coup Attempt

US-based Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has denied once more Turkish authorities’ accusations of masterminding a controversial coup bid in Turkey last year, in interviews with the Reuters and the US’s National Public Radio (NPR), saying he has always stood against all coups.

Who is Fethullah Gulen? (by National Catholic Reporter)

By blaming Fethullah Gulen and the Gulen movement for the coup attempt, Mr. Erdogan’s authoritarian tendencies have only increased as witnessed by the tens of thousands arrested and detained, and the radical curtailing of free speech. It now appears that in Mr. Erdogan’s hands Turkey’s future and that of the Middle East will be less democratic, less stable and more tumultuous than ever.

To embrace the spirit of acceptance and tolerance

The world has judged the two attacks in Paris and Brussels, which claimed a number of lives and damaged property, as associated with Islamic-inspired terrorism. The attacks also delivered the psychological message that acts of terror and hatred can occur even in the most prosperous and highly secured countries that respect diversity and human rights. […]

AK Party deputy Hakan Şükür against closure of prep schools

Former national team captain and current Justice and Development Party (AK Party) İstanbul deputy Hakan Şükür, referring to the government’s plan to shut down prep schools, has said it was wrong to vote “yes” on their closure before a process is carried out which eliminates the need for the schools.

Russian analyst: Turkey’s claim Gülen was behind envoy’s killing insult to ‘our intelligence’

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s claim that US-based Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen was behind the assassination of Russia’s ambassador to Turkey on Monday is an insult to Russian intelligence, a prominent Russian analyst said.

Deported Turkish Teacher Was Denied Political Asylum, DP Calls For Independent Investigation

The Turkish teacher who was deported to Turkey on 1 January had requested political asylum, but the request was denied.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

US law professor: Gülen extradition would be unlawful

CHP leader: PM saving himself by paralyzing constitutional order

Prosecutor’s office launches investigation into Şahin’s claim

Opposition expresses concern for security of free and fair elections

29-Year-Old Judge, A Victim Of Post-Coup Witch Hunt, Dies In Prison

S. Korean universities host workshop on Hizmet movement

Foreign Minister Babacan visits Turkish school in Dakar

Copyright 2025 Hizmet News