Calgarian held in Turkish prison granted a lawyer but confined to solitary

Davud Hanci, Calgarian arrested in Turkey following failed coup attempt.
CALGARY HERALD
Davud Hanci, Calgarian arrested in Turkey following failed coup attempt. CALGARY HERALD


Date posted: November 3, 2016

RYAN RUMBOLT

After nearly three months in solitary confinement, the Calgary man accused of trying to overthrow the Turkish government finally has a lawyer.

Calgary-based Imam Davud Hanci was arrested on allegations that he was the mastermind behind a failed coup attempt in July to remove Turkish President Recep Erdogan from power — allegations Hanci’s family called “ridiculous.”

After months of silence, Hanci’s relatives were met with good and bad news about the case: Hanci finally has a lawyer, but he has been held in solitary confinement for nearly three months.

“No one can see him, no one can talk to him,” Hanci’s friend and fellow Imam Malik Muradov said. “It’s scary given the fact that there are some reports of torture in Turkish prisons after the coup attempt.”

Hanci’s sister-in-law, Ruveyda Durmus, said the Calgary man has been made into a scapegoat for the coup, and Muradov said he is concerned his friend might be forced through torture to admit to crimes he did not commit.

“They’re just trying to put it on someone,” Durmus said. “I hope (the Turkish government) go to court and they pay for it, because they definitely arrested the wrong person.”

Durmus said Hanci’s sister goes to visit her brother every day, and every day she is denied access. Durmus said the sister is allowed to leave money for Hanci so he is able to buy basic necessities while in prison.

While communication with Hanci’s lawyer is still spotty, the family is hopeful the Canadian government will continue to put pressure on Turkey. Hanci’s wife and children have left Calgary to stay with Durmus in Ontario to be closer to Ottawa.

The case was brought up in the House of Commons earlier this month by MP for Calgary Shepard Tom Kmiec, who asked the minister of foreign affairs what is being done to bring Hanci home.

The minister’s Parliamentary Secretary, Omar Alghabra, said he has been in communication with Turkish officials at “the highest levels” and the government is committed to bringing Hanci home.

Since the failed coup attempt, Erdogan declared a 90-day state of emergency allowing the Turkish government to rule by decree.

Under the crackdowns, judges are allowed to restrict terrorism suspects’ access to lawyers as well as record the conversations between suspects and their lawyers. On Saturday, Erdogan extended the state of emergency for another 90 days, hinting that it could be extended to more than a year.

More than 10,000 government employees and public servants have been dismissed, 170 news outlets and agencies have been shut down and more than 100 journalists have been imprisoned.

Muradov said Erdogan’s crackdowns are moving Turkey closer to a dictatorship than a democracy, with the president moving further from western ideals.

“It‘s total control right now – it’s a one-man show,” Muradov said. “Everything he says is the law . . . whoever doesn’t submit is in trouble.”

State of emergency latest decrees and dismissals:

  • Terrorism suspects restricted access to lawyers
  • Conversations between terrorism suspects and their lawyers can be recorded
  • More than 10,000 government employees dismissed in the past three months
    • 2,534 personnel from the Justice Ministry
    • 2,219 from the Education Ministry
    • 2,774 from the Health Ministry
    • 1,267 from higher education institutions
    • 101 from the armed forces
  • 170 media outlets shut down
  • 105 journalists imprisoned
  • Over 700 press credentials revoked

Source: Calgary Herald , October 30, 2016


Related News

Russian analyst: Turkey’s claim Gülen was behind envoy’s killing insult to ‘our intelligence’

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s claim that US-based Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen was behind the assassination of Russia’s ambassador to Turkey on Monday is an insult to Russian intelligence, a prominent Russian analyst said.

State discrimination against Hizmet movement sympathizers

Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government is aiming to take all steps to finish off Hizmet movement sympathizers by any means. Discrimination is one of these steps. Discrimination is a human rights violation. I would like to share five of my personal experiences, of many more, to show what kind of discrimination is being committed against the movement’s sympathizers.

Report: Gülen-linked media outlets sold to pro-gov’t media groups without tender

A number of TV and radio stations that were closed down by the government in the aftermath of a failed coup attempt on July 15 due to their links to the faith-based Gülen movement have been sold to the pro-government Turkuvaz Media Group without a tender.

Turkish police detain 35 lawyers for ‘defending’ Gülen sympathizers

This latest move against the Gulen sympathizers is a violation of a basic right of the suspects, who are still legally innocent until proven guilty, to defend themselves at the courts. It is clear that Erdogan regime leaves the suspects no room to defend themselves at the courts.

Complainant says he was ‘fooled,’ apologizes to suspects in trial targeting Gülen followers

Thirteen suspects who were detained as part of an operation targeting followers of the Gülen movement in the central province of Sivas were released after the complainant in the case apologized to them at court and withdrew his complaint, saying he was “forced” by some to launch the case.

Fetullah Gülen, the preferred enemy – Interview

Hizmet is an Islamic movement with activities in more than 180 countries. To its followers, the gulenists, Gulen — a man with swallow feet and low voice who says he spends most of his time praying and studying — is a democrat in favor of the Turkish democratization.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Turkish businessmen have first iftar with Syrian refugees in Hatay

Turkish, Russian businessmen convene at forum

Dr. Soltes: Hizmet cares for Turkey and humanity

Fresh political raids targets leading Turkish NGO Kimse Yok Mu

The real problem is not an AK Party-Gülen movement conflict

Turkish schools and the race in philanthropy!

Gülen’s lawyer condemns Erdoğan’s accusations, TÜSİAD calls for sanity in country

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News