Turkish cleric calls for international body to examine coup charges


Date posted: September 25, 2016

The U.S.-based cleric Fethullah Gulen has called for an international commission to investigate Turkey’s charge that he orchestrated a failed coup last July, and said he would accept the findings if such a body found evidence of his guilt.

Gulen, who has lived in self-imposed exile in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania since 1999, told the German broadcaster ZDF in an interview broadcast on Friday that there was no evidence linking him to the thwarted putsch, which he has denounced.

He accused Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan of using the coup to silence opponents.

Turkey has dismissed or suspended more than 100,000 people in the military, civil service, police, judiciary and education system since a group of rogue soldiers tried to topple the government.

An international organization should examine the issue. If the charges are correct, I will gladly accept what they want. But they haven’t proven anything or responded to my suggestions. It’s all just pure conjecture,” Gulen told ZDF.

“If they can prove that I spoke personally or by telephone with those responsible for the attempted coup, I would be happy to bear the consequences,” he said.

Erdogan on Tuesday called on world leaders at the United Nations to take measures against what he called Gulen’s “terrorist network”, which he said threatened their security.

Turkish authorities have accused Gulen of building up over decades a network of followers inside the armed forces and civil service that attempted to take control of the government.

They have asked the United States to extradite or detain the cleric, who was once a close ally of Erdogan’s.

U.S. Vice President Joe Biden last month told Erdogan during a visit to Ankara that Washington was cooperating with the extradition request but needed evidence to meet U.S. legal standards.

Gulen told ZDF that, if Washington approved the extradition request, he would comply. “If the U.S. says ‘Yes’, then I will go. Then I will spend the rest of my numbered days being tormented by them so that I can free myself even more from my sins and mistakes and reach God as a pure man.”

(Reporting by Andrea Shalal; Editing by Kevin Liffey)

Source: Reuters , September 23, 2016


Related News

Nigeria demands Turkey’s apology over ‘unjustifiable’ students deportation in coup crackdown

Nigerian lawmakers have urged the Turkish government to apologise for arresting and deporting dozens of Nigerian students. The majority of the youths attended the Fatih University, which is among thousands of educational buildings Turkey has shut down in a crackdown following the failed coup.

Turkey has not achieved enough democratization for Fethullah Gülen’s return

Kenan Taş Mustafa Yesil: “The possible tension between the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) and the Gülen movement is what the pro-guardianship figures desire most. Moreover, it should be recalled how satisfied they were during the constitutional and presidential election crises in 2007 and the AK Party closure case in 2008. Turkey is passing […]

European rights body says Turkey violated own constitution in post-coup crackdown

Council of Europe says Erdogan government violated both Turkey’s own constitution and international law in reaction to failed July coup.

The Fall of Turkey

Western officials have preferred to raise concerns over the steady dismantling of Turkey’s free institutions only privately with their counterparts in Ankara. This approach has failed. That failure has left many millions of pro-democracy Turks to fend for themselves, while a once-fringe ideological element in the AKP, reared on Islamist supremacism, has been emboldened.

Jews should speak up for Hizmet

When we think of Hizmet, Jews conscious of our own history either can say, “There but for the grace of God go we,” or we can think of Rabbi Hillel: “If we are only for ourselves, what are we? And if now, when?” 

Fethullah Gülen awarded Manhae Peace Prize

Well-respected Turkish intellectual and scholar Fethullah Gülen was awarded the Manhae Peace Prize for his contributions to world peace at a ceremony held in South Korea on Sunday. Among the prominent recipients of the Manhae awards since they were first presented in 1997 are former South African President Nelson Mandela, exiled Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama and Iranian rights advocate Shirin Ebadi.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

What befell Niyazi-i Misri in the past is happening to Fethullah Gülen now

“Turkey, with the great assistance of Fethullah Gülen‎ has been a model”

NY Times Editorial Board: Mr. Erdogan’s Reckless Revenge

Former Turkish President Gül denies having any relationship with the Gülen movement or Fethullah Gülen but history tells…

Journalists and Writers Foundation at UN ECOSOC annual meeting

Istanbul court blocks access to Gülen’s website

Kimse Yok Mu to attend Global Consultation ahead of World Humanitarian Summit

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News