Back to school in Turkey after post-coup teacher purge

School children gather to receive their text books on the first day back at school on September 19, 2016 in Istanbul (Photo: AFP)
School children gather to receive their text books on the first day back at school on September 19, 2016 in Istanbul (Photo: AFP)


Date posted: September 20, 2016

Turkish schools reopened Monday for the first time since the July 15 coup following a summer which saw tens of thousands of teachers sacked or suspended over “links” to the plotters or to Kurdish rebels.

As more than 18 million children began the new term after the summer break, Huseyin Ozev, president of the Istanbul teachers’ union, told AFP there were fears the academic year would begin with “chaos” because of huge staff shortages.

After a rogue military faction tried to oust President Recep Tayyip Erdogan in mid-July, Ankara embarked on a massive crackdown, dismissing and detaining tens of thousands of people within the judiciary, the police and the education system over alleged links to the plotters.

Students arriving at school on Monday were handed pamphlets from the education ministry commemorating “the triumph of democracy on July 15 and in memory of the martyrs” as well as their usual school books, an AFP photographer said.

Pupils will be shown two videos about the coup, the ministry said, including footage of Erdogan reading the national anthem alongside images from the night of the coup showing tanks and war planes firing in the capital Ankara.

One video shows the moment when people took to the streets in their thousands in Istanbul and Ankara to counter the coup attempt, which claimed nearly 270 lives, among them 24 putschists.

In schoolyards, students observed a minute of silence for the victims and a prayer was said.

Union chief Ozev warned that children’s education could suffer if inexperienced teachers were called in to fill the staffing shortages.

Speaking to AFP, he said the school year was likely to be characterised by “general chaos” due to the fact “there are 40,000 to 50,000 vacancies and no preparation on the side of the ministry of education.”

Cigdem, a teacher in Istanbul, attacked the government’s actions as opportunism as she defended her colleagues.

“We won’t them let do that, we will not let down our schools. We are not coup-mongers or terrorists, we are teachers.”

Authorities have blamed the attempted coup on Erdogan’s arch-enemy, the US-based preacher Fethullah Gulen, and followers of his moderate Islamic “Hizmet” movement which encourages its members to work in the public sector.

Gulen, who lives in self-exile in the United States, strongly denies any involvement in the coup, and the mass crackdown on his alleged supporters has sparked alarm among Turkey’s Western allies.

Tens of thousands of staff in the education sector alone have been suspended or dismissed, while another 11,500 teachers suspected of links to the outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) were suspended earlier this month.

The PKK, which has waged a insurgency against the Turkish state since 1984, is considered as a terror organisation by Ankara, the United States and the European Union.

There have been almost daily attacks by the PKK since a two-year ceasefire collapsed in July 2015, while the Turkish authorities have stepped up their military campaigns in the restive southeast in response.

Source: Ahram Online , September 19, 2016


Related News

Bank Asya sells stakes in 2 subsidiaries

In a statement to Borsa İstanbul (BIST), Bank Asya said it is selling a 24.18 percent stake in Turkish construction firm Tuna Gayrimenkul for TL 62.8 million. The bank also said it is selling another construction company, Nil Yönetim Hizmetleri, for TL 69.25 million.

Five new mosque-cemevi projects on the way

There are plans to launch joint mosque-cemevi (Alevi house of worship) projects in five other Turkish provinces in addition to the recently launched project in the Turkish capital city of Ankara, the Radikal daily reported on Tuesday. According to the daily, the locations of the new mosque-cemevi projects will be the Kartal district in İstanbul, […]

Abant Platform: perspectives on Turkey

Ihsan YILMAZ  June 22, 2012 The Abant Platform, being an innovative institution, has now initiated a new discussion forum which, as far as I am aware, is a first in Turkey. We will be discussing different perspectives on Turkey together with non-Turkish academics, diplomats and journalists working in the country. For three days, we will […]

A little fairness, please!

Please, take a deep breath and take a trip back to a short time ago. What do you remember of the “Justice and Development Party (AK Party)-Gülen movement disagreement”? Here’s a brief reminder, for a better understanding of the discussion: Fethullah Gülen was taken to the hospital in an ambulance because of an emergency. Because I visited him that day, I wrote as follows: “One of the persons who made [the] first phone call was Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.

Al Arabiya: Gulen confident US will not extradite him

In an exclusive interview with Al Arabiya News Channel, Turkish cleric Fethullah Gulen said he was confident that the United States will not extradite him. “The United States has a reputation in the world as a country that upholds the rule of law. So I trust they will follow the proper procedures,” Gulen told Al Arabiya’s New York Bureau Chief Talal al-Haj.

The tragic story of a Turkish family fleeing to Greece from persecution

When the body of the 5-year-old Aylan Kurdi was found in the Greek island of Kos in 2015, Turkish president Erdoğan said: “What has drowned in the Mediterranean is not only the refugees. Humanity has drowned in the Mediterranean Sea.” However, President Erdoğan didn’t say a word about Turkish family’s tragedy, who were fleeing from the persecution of his own regime this time.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Turkey’s Reichstag Fire

Turkey’s failed coup could worsen Nigeria’s recession

Defending Hizmet

Has Erdoğan convinced EU of the existence of a ‘parallel state’?

Liberia Turkish Relations Gets Boost with Dialogue Center

Yes, Religion Can Still Be A Force For Good In The World

Will a diplomat who is ashamed of Erdoğan praise Gül?

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News