Gulen Followers Living in Europe Receive Death Threats, Feel Intimidated


Date posted: August 22, 2016

Turks who live in Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands, France and Switzerland and have links to the co-called Gulenist movement say they are frightened amid Turkey’s crackdown on Gulen’s followers, according to media reports.

MOSCOW (Sputnik) — Some Turkish people living in Europe who have links to supporters of Fethullah Gulen, accused by Ankara of masterminding the July 15 thwarted coup, have receive death threats and feel intimidated, media reported on Monday.

According to Politico newspaper, Turks who live in Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands, France and Switzerland and have links to the co-called Gulenist movement say they are frightened amid Turkey’s crackdown on Gulen’s followers.

“Many of us received death threats…. I have reported six death threats to the police, and I know many people who have done the same. I am in constant touch with the police,” the head of one the of the main Gulen think tanks in Europe, based in Berlin, was quoted as saying by the media outlet.

Earlier in the month, Belgium media outlets reported that some ethnic Turks in the country have withdrawn their children from schools allegedly financed by organizations linked to the Gulen-headed movement due to threats they have received.
Ankara has accused Gulen and his followers of playing a key role in the failed coup, a charge Gulen has denied.

On July 15, an attempted coup took place in Turkey and was suppressed the following day. The Turkish authorities have already removed thousands of officials from their posts across the country over links to coup perpetrators and to the Gulen movement. Those removed include members of the armed forces, governors, military advisers, prosecutors, intelligence officers and judges.

Source: Sputnik News , August 22, 2016


Related News

To escape punishment, punish them all

The Turkish prime minister has decided that if he continues to be angry and vengeful, his power will be cemented. In his latest address in Parliament, he pushed his angry discourse to higher — or lower — levels, to make clear that he will not forgive and he will punish. Since he has chosen the Hizmet movement as the enemy, all he wants to do is inflict harm, regardless of on who or what.

Turkish Cultural Center in West Haven hit with graffiti in wake of unrest

Usually, if you hear about a particular ethnic group that’s a victim of graffiti, it’s from some other ethnic group or someone who doesn’t understand their culture. But a building facing the Turkish Cultural Center Connecticut recently was tagged — for the second time in three years — with graffiti that appears to be an extension of a political battle raging within Turkey itself.

Islamic scholar Gülen rejects involvement with graft probe and wiretappings

“If among those who conducted the graft investigations were some people who might be connected to the Hizmet movement, was I supposed to tell these people, ‘Turn a blind eye to the corruption charges?’ It appears to me that some people were expecting me to do this. Did they expect me to do this? How can I say something that would ruin my afterlife? How else can I act?” Fethullah Gülen said.

‘Ekol Hoca’ center of attention on Periscope with his ’online prep school’

A Turkish teacher known as “Ekol Hoca” who has been providing online lessons to students, especially those preparing for nationwide exams amid government’s efforts to shut down prep schools, via live video streaming application Periscope has attracted attention after the CEO of Periscope expressed his gratitude to the teacher.

GYV slams government attempt to silence critics with recent measures

The Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV) expresses that the interim Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government is continuing to use terror cases in an attempt to silence critical press.

Corruption probe [in Turkey]

Radikal’s Cüneyt Özdemir said that even if some people interpret the corruption operation as a manifestation of the rift between the Hizmet movement and the government, it does not reduce the importance and seriousness of the allegations directed against the detainees. “The fact that it involves the general manager of a state-run bank and the sons of three ministers shows us the importance of this investigation,” he said.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Gov’t attack on Bank Asya taints Turkey’s image

Nigerian youths can excel in Olympiads

GYV’s dialogue center not returned despite court order

Reflections on Hizmet Movement at conference in Taiwan

PM Barzani and Turkish MPs attend the opening of Ishik University in Erbil

Turkish police raid media close to cleric rival Gulen, detain 24

Kimse Yok Mu flies back 210 Somali students

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News