Tanzania dismisses Turkish gov’t allegations concerning Feza schools, asks for proof


Date posted: August 21, 2016

Tanzania has dismissed an allegation by Turkey that the Feza schools in the country are being used to radicalise the youth and fund opposition against the Ankara government.

Stung by a failed coup last month, Turkey has targeted businesses associated with Fethullah Gulen, a Muslim Cleric it wants extradited from the US to face charges in Ankara of plotting the coup and funding terrorism activities.

Turkey ambassador in Tanzania Yasemin Eralp has called for deregistration of Feza schools in Tanzania. The envoy also accuses some unnamed businesses of funding the opposition against Turkey President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Calling businesses, charities and schools associated with Gulen “nests of terror,” President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has vowed to get rid of all of them. Already, Turkey has ordered the seizure of the assets of 187 such firms.

Tanzania Foreign Minister Dr Augustine Mahiga has dismissed the allegations, linking them to a determination by President Endorgan to eliminate elements he perceives as opposed to his rule.

Dr Mahiga said the 10 Feza schools in Tanzania, which are run under the Ishik Medical and Educational Foundation, and other businesses were vetted before being registered to operate in the country. He asked Ankara to prove the claims that the schools and businesses were engaged in subversive activities.

The foundation had denied links with Mr Gulen saying “he does not even know Feza schools exists.” The schools are also found in Kenya, Uganda and Rwanda.

Source: The East African , August 20, 2016


Related News

Gulen-linked body condemns attempted Turkey coup

For more than 40 years, Fethullah Gulen and Hizmet participants have advocated for, and demonstrated their commitment to, peace and democracy. We have consistently denounced military interventions in domestic politics. These are core values of Hizmet participants. We condemn any military intervention in domestic politics of Turkey.

Parliament Speaker Cicek visits Turkish School in Kiev

Turkish Parliament Speaker Cemil Cicek, in Ukrainian capital Kiev for official contacts, visited Meridian International School founded by Turkish entrepreneurs on April 4, 2013. Accompanied by his wife Gulten Cicek and a delegation of deputies, Cicek was greeted with the Slavic traditional bread and salt welcome ceremony by students from nine different nations. The students […]

Gulen says he is certain Erdogan behind failed Turkey coup

Asked if he was suggesting that Erdogan was behind the coup, Gulen said: “Until now I only thought that was a possibility. Now I think it’s certain.” Gulen said a Turkish officer had recently said that the chief of general staff and the intelligence chief met in the army headquarters during the night of the coup, adding: “They already knew everything that would happen later.”

Kyrgyz President Atambayev: Turkish schools will not be closed

Kyrgyz President Almazbek Atambayev said on Thursday he is thankful to Erdoğan, he does not know Fethullah Gülen, and he will not close the schools run by Turks close to the Gülen movement, Sputnik reported.

Five global challenges: how might Hizmet respond?

Hizmet, the social movement inspired by the neo-Sufi thinker Fetullah Gülen, is currently being dismembered by the autocratic president of Turkey, Recep Tayyip Erdogan. He accuses Gülen of ordering a coup attempt on 15th July 2016, saying it was was led by Hizmet members in the army.

Turkish nationals in South Africa fear abductions

“Yesterday we were sitting together, today they call us terrorists. Immediately overnight they changed.” A conspicuously distressed Turkish national uttered these words during an interview with The Star at the Nizamiye Mosque Complex in Midrand.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Fethullah Gulen’s books draw booklovers at Riyadh book fair

MGK plan in action

Deputy slams AK Party with creating crisis as he resigns from party

Kaçmaz family deportation case: Lahore High Court seeks record of Civil Aviation Authority

Turkish Olympiad Finals add a festive air to Kiev

Troubled Nigeria discusses Gülen’s ‘culture of coexistence’

World renowned NGO-rating Global Geneva stands by Kimse Yok Mu

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News