Astana says Gulen-linked schools to remain

Kazakh President Nazarbayev visits a Kazakh-Turkish High School
Kazakh President Nazarbayev visits a Kazakh-Turkish High School


Date posted: August 1, 2016

Bishkek (AKIpress) – The Ministry of Education of Kazakhstan said in a statement on July 30 that the Turkish schools linked to Fetullah Gülen, who allegedly led failed coup attempt in Turkey according to the President Erdogan, will remain on the territory of the Central Asian nation.

The statement followed the Friday warning of Turkey’s ambassador to Kazakhstan. The ambassador was speaking after Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu on Thursday warned that followers of the controversial cleric could stage a coup in Kazakhstan’s neighbour Kyrgyzstan.

Ambassador Nevzat Uyanik raised the issue of “Kazakhstani-Turkish schools” believed to be run by foundations loyal to the 75-year-old Gulen’s ideas, saying Ankara does not support them. “These schools have no relationship to Turkey’s official state organs whatsoever,” Uyanik told a news conference in Astana, CNN-Turkey reports.

He called the July 15 coup attempt in Turkey “a warning to other countries,” adding that “we are sure that the relevant bodies will start taking the necessary measures,” apparently referring to Kazakhstan authorities. Cooperation “is not only in the interests of Turkey, these questions touch on the interests of Kazakhstan too,” he said.

“These schools (27) will be working as they used to. Students and parents should not fear that they could close down,” said in the Education Ministry’s statement also reminding that these schools “were established as a result of a bilateral education deal between Kazakhstan and Turkey supported by the President of Kazakhstan Nursultan Nazarbayev and former President of Turkey Turgut Özal.”

Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan are the only two countries in the mostly Turkic-speaking Central Asian region where Gulenist educational institutions still have a significant presence.

Source: AkiPress , August 1, 2016


Related News

Predictability in Erdoğan’s Turkey

The most significant damage beleaguered Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has inflicted on Turkey in a frantic effort to rescue himself, his children and close associates from legal troubles amid massive corruption, money laundering and illegal land-zoning deals was a blow to the “credibility” of Turkey and “predictability” in its political and economic environment.

Turkish schools are selected best high schools in Mongolia

Mongolia selected the bests of 2012. Turkish schools that have served in the country for 18 years took the first place among high schools. The world wide Turkish schools, which are founded by philanthropists, keep being popular. The Turkish schools in Mongolia were founded in 1994.  More than 3000 students have graduated so far. Students […]

Turkish schools boost Turkey-Brazil ties

Brazilian national soccer team coach Carlos Dunga has said schools opened by Turkish entrepreneurs in Brazil strengthen ties between the two countries. Paying a visit to Colegio Belo Futuro, a Turkish school founded last year by a Turkish entrepreneur in Sao Paolo, Dunga said on Wednesday that Turkish schools in his country build a bridge between Turkey and Brazil and strengthen the two countries’ relations.

EU, US Have Little Leverage as Turkish Democracy Backslides

“In the big picture, Erdogan knows that the EU needs Turkey and will come back begging for a new agreement on the migrants. That’s why he will play a game of brinksmanship,” said Soner Cagaptay, the director of the Turkish program at The Washington Institute.

Henri Barkey: Why Is Turkey Accusing Me of Plotting a Coup?

Soon after the coup was defeated, my colleagues and I became the targets of sensationalist conspiracy theories promulgated by Turkey’s pro-government press. The accusations ranged from organizing the coup on behalf of the C.I.A. to setting up communication links for the plotters and, most implausibly, bringing a convicted murderer from California into Turkey to engage in evil deeds.

Post-coup Turkey sliding into terror regime: Nobel laureate Orhan Pamuk

Prominent Turkish novelist and recipient of the 2006 Nobel Prize in literature, Orhan Pamuk, has criticized the government’s large-scale crackdown in the aftermath of the failed July 15 coup, warning that Turkey is heading toward “a regime of terror.” “In Turkey, we are dramatically putting behind bars all those who struggle for freedom of expression, and criticize the government even slightly,” Pamuk said on Sunday.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Turkish school students raises pocket moneys to buy stoves for refugees

Gulen Institute Youth Platform 2015 Winners

Turkish American Society Builds Bridges

Gülen’s Statement of Condemnation for Terrorist Attack Against the Coptic Christian Community in Egypt

Hopefully the Gulen movement will help change the American values

Turkey introduces new decree law to seize all Gulen-related companies

‘My 5-month old son is slowly going blind in prison,’ says jailed mother

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News