U.S. Judge Tosses Suit Against Reclusive Muslim Cleric

Islamic Scholar Fethullah Gulen
Islamic Scholar Fethullah Gulen


Date posted: June 30, 2016

A federal judge on Wednesday dismissed a lawsuit alleging that a reclusive Muslim cleric in Pennsylvania orchestrated human rights abuses in his native Turkey, ruling the claims didn’t belong in U.S. courts.

Turkey’s government funded the civil suit against Fethullah Gulen as part of a crackdown on the cleric and his movement by PresidentRecep Erdogan.

It claimed Mr. Gulen ordered sympathetic police, prosecutors and judges in Turkey to target members of a rival spiritual movement critical of his teachings.

U.S. District Judge Robert Mariani in Scranton, Pa., threw out the suit, ruling the plaintiffs “offer only circumstantial and tenuous allegations of a connection between Mr. Gulen’s domestic conduct and the violations of plaintiffs’ rights in Turkey.”

The legal action was filed in December on behalf of three men who claimed Gulen sympathizers in Turkish law enforcement planted evidence, fabricated search warrants, conducted illegal wiretaps and ultimately arrested and detained the men on trumped-up charges.

The plaintiffs’ attorney, Robert Amsterdam, had no immediate response to Wednesday’s ruling.

Mr. Gulen, who has lived in the U.S. since 1999, has criticized Mr. Erdogan, his onetime ally, over the Turkish leader’s rule.

“The case was a politically motivated attack leveled by the administration of Turkey’s President…against Mr. Gulen, for doing nothing more than publicly accusing the Erdogan administration of being corrupt and authoritarian,” Michael Miller, one of Mr. Gulen’s lawyers, said in a statement Wednesday.

The suit was part of a broad campaign against Mr. Gulen’s movement in Turkey and abroad. The Erdogan regime has carried out a purge of civil servants suspected of ties to the movement, seized businesses and closed some media organizations. Mr. Gulen has been charged criminally with plotting to overthrow the government, and was placed on trial in absentia last month.

With the financial backing of the Turkish government, Amsterdam also has focused on a network of about 150 publicly funded U.S. charter schools started by Mr. Gulen’s followers. State and federal authorities have probed some of the schools amid allegations of financial mismanagement and visa fraud, though no criminal charges have been filed.

Mr. Gulen’s supporters denounced the Turkish government over its pursuit of the cleric.

“Instead of filing frivolous lawsuits that drain both U.S. and Turkish taxpayer dollars, the Erdogan government should release jailed journalists, return private property confiscated by the government and stop targeting every critical voice with politically-driven legal harassment,” said Y. Alp Aslandogan, who leads a group that promotes Gulen’s ideas and work.

Source: Wall Street Journal , June 30, 2016


Related News

On Gülen vs Erdogan – “And not equal are the good deed and the bad”

Martin Luther, the Christian leader who is called “the Father of the Reformation,” described two kingdoms: the kingdom of the world and the kingdom of heaven. In the contrasts between Erdoğan and Gülen, we surely see examples of this distinction.

Police raid schools in Diyarbakır where locals go on strike in protest of recent gov’t practices

Police officers and inspectors carried out raids on a number of schools inspired by the faith-based Gülen movement as part of a government-led operation against the movement in southeastern province of Diyarbakır, where people have gone on strike in protest of the government’s recent practices in the province.

Court accepts indictment against 9 officers in case seen as political witch hunt

The investigation into the nine police officers is being carried out by Adana Deputy Chief Public Prosecutor Ali Doğan. The investigation drew strong criticism, as they were based on claims made in government media outlets’ news reports. This raised suspicions as to whether the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) had kicked off a witch hunt against the Hizmet movement, which the prime minister recently threatened to “punish with a large-scale operation.

US-based Turkish cleric denies involvement in coup plot

Fethullah Gulen told reporters at his Pennsylvania compound he knows only a “minute fraction” of his legions of sympathizers in Turkey, so he cannot speak to their “potential involvement” in the attempted coup against President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Review of Dogan Koc’s Strategic Defamation of Fethullah Gulen: English vs. Turkish

Dogan Koc explores the identity of people who lead defamation campaigns around the globe. One of the striking observations is that over half of these libelous articles were produced by the same group of people.

A Catholic Priest’s Letter to Fethullah Gülen

In Niğde, we visited the schools of the Sungurbey Education Foundation, established by a private businessman-donor, Celal Afşar, whom we were privileged to have as our host. He is also a close colleague of Fethullah Gülen and good friend of Fr. Alexei Smith. Mr. Afşar asked Fr. Alexei to write a letter to Mr. Gülen, […]

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Media Imposes Official Ideology, Creating Negative non-Muslim Image

Police chiefs removed in four provinces across Turkey

Gulen movement becoming victim of its own legend

Ramadan Feast: Community Bonding at Its Best from the Turkish Cultural Center

Dialogslussen establishes tradition of dialogue dinner in Stockholm

Turkey Continues Its Witch Hunt Against Gülen Followers

PakTurk School holds language & cultural festival

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News