Complainant says he was ‘fooled,’ apologizes to suspects in trial targeting Gülen followers


Date posted: April 16, 2016

Thirteen suspects who were detained as part of an operation targeting followers of the Gülen movement in the central province of Sivas were released after the complainant in the case apologized to them at court and withdrew his complaint, saying he was “forced” by some to launch the case.

The rotahaber.com news website reported on Friday that the first hearing in a trial that was launched against members of the Gülen movement, inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, was held at the Sivas 2nd High Criminal Court on Thursday.

According to the report, the complainant in the case, told the court that he withdraws his complaint. “Mr. Judge, these men cannot be either a thief or a terrorist. They [unidentified outside figures] fooled me and forced me to sign a document. They told me that these people [the suspects] had fooled me and used my land for commercial purposes,” he told the judge.

The man then turned his face to the suspects and said: “Forgive me, you have been jailed for four months for nothing because of me.”

The complainant, who had reportedly donated his land to followers of the movement for educational purposes, said he withdraws the case. “These people are innocent. If they ask me to donate a land today, I would do as well,” he added.

The court ruled to release all suspects in the case after the complainant’s statements.

The trial in Sivas is one of dozens of ongoing cases targeting members of the faith-based movement, which has pioneered educational activities but in Turkey and abroad.

The cases are carried out as part of the government’s fight with the “parallel state,” a term coined by President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan in December 2013 to refer to people believed to be inspired by the ideas of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, especially those within the state bureaucracy.

Since a corruption investigation that implicated figures close to the government, as well as government members themselves, came to public attention on Dec. 17, 2013, there have been many similar police operations carried out targeting shopkeepers, teachers, members of the judiciary, journalists and police officers who are accused of being affiliated with the Gülen movement, also known as the Hizmet movement. The graft probe implicated then-Prime Minister Erdoğan, members of his family and senior Justice and Development Party (AK Party) figures.

Erdoğan accused the Gülen movement of plotting to overthrow his government and said sympathizers of the movement within the police department had fabricated the graft scandal. Since then, hundreds of police officers have been detained and some arrested for alleged illegal activity during the course of the investigation. Erdoğan said he would carry out a “witch hunt” against anyone with links to the movement.

Source: Turkish Minute , April 15, 2015


Related News

Ayse Bohurler says International Herald Tribune misquoted remarks on Gülen movement

22 April 2012 / TODAYSZAMAN.COM Ayşe Böhürler, a founding member of the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party), has said her remarks on the faith-based Gülen movement were misquoted in an International Herald Tribune article last week, denying statements that were highly critical of the movement and attributed to her by the paper. “It […]

Junior Coalition Partner Demands Explanation Why Bulgarian Govt Turned over Abdullah Buyuk to Turkey

Right-wing Reformist Bloc, the junior partner in Bulgaria’s minority coalition cabinet, has demanded that Interior Minister Rumyana Bachvarova explain to Parliament why the government turned over Turkish businessman Abdullah Buyuk to Turkey last week. “The Reformist Bloc expresses disagreement with the violation of basic principles that guide the coalition; for us these are the rule […]

Gülen’s lawyer denies allegation of plot against Erdoğan’s daughter, calls it ’immoral slander’

A lawyer for Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen categorically denied claims by pro-government newspapers that Gülen ordered the assassination of President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s daughter Sümeyye Erdoğan ahead of the June 7 general elections, calling the allegations “immoral slander” that he regrets even having to deny.

Police raid Gülen-inspired prep schools in Erzurum

In another government-orchestrated operation targeting the faith-based Gülen movement, popularly known as the Hizmet movement, police officers and inspectors from a number of ministries and government bodies carried out raids early on Thursday on FEM prep schools established by Hizmet volunteers in Erzurum.

Fethullah Gülen’s dialogue and tolerance discourse parallels Gandhi’s

Sudheendra Kulkarni, the head of the India-based Mumbai Research Foundation, has said there are parallels between the views of Mahatma Gandhi and Fethullah Gülen. Kulkarni talked to students from the Faculty of Theology at Marmara University, discrediting the misconception that Gandhi was against technology. Kulkarni described his new book, “Music of The Spinning Wheel,” and obscured characteristics of Gandhi as the protagonist of his book.

Gülen’s lawyer dismisses wiretapping claims

In his statement, Gülen’s lawyer Albayrak said the allegations which appeared in some newspapers is totally baseless and targets Gülen in an unfair way and demands punishment for the individuals who were involved such accusations

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

AKP deputy: “Imprisoned Gulen supporters and PKK members will be massacred by furious mobs”

Meat Distribution during the Feast of Sacrifice

Who is Fethullah Gülen?

A helping hand to orphan leader’s country Benin

Imam Wahy-ud Deen Shareef: What we see in ISIL may be fire, but it is not illumination

Belgium court sentences man to 6-month in prison over online threats targeting Gülen followers

Kyrgyzstan Rebuffs Turkish Takeover of Gulen Schools

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News