Turkic American Alliance Condemns Government Takeover of Zaman


Date posted: March 5, 2016

The Turkic American Alliance and its six member federations strongly condemn the Turkish government’s aggressive actions and policies aimed at seizing control of the nation’s media outlets.

On Friday, March 4, 2016 the Turkish government seized control of Zaman Newspaper, the largest and highly circulated newspaper in Turkey. The takeover is a violation of the freedom of press which is vital for every democratic state and requires political intervention from the international community. Hours after police detained prominent businessmen affiliated with the newspaper, Istanbul prosecutors called for the appointment of new management, and a three member board to be appointed by the court. The takeover of Zaman newspaper has resulted to huge protests in Zaman Headquarters in Istanbul and other parts of the country.

In the past 2 years, The Turkish government received international criticism over its treatment of journalists, including putting serious pressure on media outlets for being critical of the government. On October 29, 2015, the government also took over Ipek Media Group on alleged charges of terrorism, suppression of the current regime and alleged financial investigation. Kanalturk and BugunTV were reportedly cancelled on that day as well. In addition, two prominent journalists from Cumhuriyet newspaper are facing potential life sentences on charges of endangering state security for publishing material critical to the government. According to Abdulhamit Bilici, Editor in Chief of Zaman Newspaper, he was very concerned that those speaking against government policies are prone to face court cases or prison. Mr. Bilici also stated that “this is a dark period for our country, our democracy”.

The takeover has already raised huge concern from Amnesty International, Freedom House and other prominent human rights organizations. Freedom House released a statement asserting that the takeover is a “flagrant violation of both rule of law and freedom of press”. Amnesty International’s Turkey expert, Andrew Garner stated that the organization is “deeply troubled” by the recent events and the decline of media freedom in Turkey.

We strongly urge the United States and the European Union take drastic measures to hold the Turkish government accountable for its actions towards press freedom and human rights. We believe that the attacks pose a threat to the country’s ailing democracy and urge the people of Turkey to speak out on political injustice.

Source: Turkic American Alliance , March 4, 2016


Related News

Gülen Schools and Rule-of-Law in Turkey

Whatever one’s attitude toward or assessment of Fethullah Gülen might be, the case of the preparatory schools is a barometer for the state of rule-of-law in Turkey. Gülen’s ideology is irrelevant; law should treat everyone equally.

Witch hunt against the Gülen followers in Europe

Political madness in Turkey is at its peak. Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan does not even refrain from using the term “witch hunt” against the Gülen followers. When Erdoğan and his circle don’t find any evidence, they allegedly try to produce evidence. Bureaucrats who don’t want to be part of Erdoğan’s witch hunt have sent letters to the media and prosecutors confessing what they are doing. Unfortunately, what they said in those letters has been confirmed by later developments.

Turkish deputy PM says Fethullah Gülen is supra-political, conscience of 75 million people in Turkey

In an interview with TRT Türk TV channel on Wednesday, Arınç described Gülen as “supra-politics,” and said he is the “conscience of 75 million people” in Turkey. He praised Gülen for only talking truth and recommending right things, even to the opposition. Bülent Arınç met with Gülen last week in his residence in Pennsylvania in a visit he described as “personal.”

Ergun Poyraz to pay compensation for slandering Fethullah Gulen in his book

AYŞENUR PARILDAK Ergun Poyraz, defendant detainee of Ergenekon Trial, was fined for violating the rights of Fethullah Gulen, in his book “The Imam in America”. With the lawsuit that is filed by Orhan Erdemli, Gulen’s lawyer, Poyraz Publishing and Bizim Avrasya Publishing were sentenced to a total of 5 thousand Turkish Liras compensation. In Ergun […]

Gülen’s contribution to a pluralist democracy

The Hizmet movement, inspired by Muslim scholar Fethullah Gülen, is a formidable actor in catalyzing change for a better Turkey and will remain so for the foreseeable future as a non-political force to be reckoned with.

Turkish purges leave armed forces weak, dismissed officer warns

NATO’s supreme allied commander in Europe, General Curtis Scaparrotti, said in December that he never had any reason to suspect that Turkish officers in his teams would be involved in a coup attempt. In their absence, and without their expertise, the capacity of his staff had been “degraded,” he told the Financial Times and Deutsche Welle.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Erdogan’s Changing Aspirations for Somalia

Afghan minister: Afghanistan will continue to support Turkish schools

President Gül hosts Turkish Olympiad students in Ankara

Netherlands fires a lawyer from gov’t job due to her role in witch hunt against Gulen followers

So you say Fethullah Gülen is a terrorist?

Students enchant German crowd with poems of praise

Kyrgyzstan Rebuffs Turkish Takeover of Gulen Schools

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News