Businessmen released following operation against Gülen movement

Numerous businessmen in Uşak province were detained last week as part of a government-led investigation into the so-called “parallel structure.” (Photo: DHA)
Numerous businessmen in Uşak province were detained last week as part of a government-led investigation into the so-called “parallel structure.” (Photo: DHA)


Date posted: October 19, 2015

MEVLÜT ÖZTAŞ / UŞAK

Based on the government’s much criticized “reasonable suspicion” law, a large number of businessmen in Uşak province were detained last week as part of an investigation into the so-called “parallel structure,” although most of them were released late on Friday night due to a lack of evidence to support a possible prosecution.

Police teams from the Uşak Police Department’s Anti-smuggling and Organized Crime Unit carried out simultaneous raids on a number of residences and workplaces on Oct. 14, detaining 25 businessmen from Uşak city center and its districts. However, 23 of them were released as their detention was undeserved and based on the reasonable suspicion clause that was introduced by the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) in February under a controversial security bill that was strongly opposed by other parties in Parliament.

The AK Party’s reasonable suspicion act was most recently criticized when the party’s chairman and interim Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu said the government had a list of potential suicide bombers but could not make any arrests without them having carried out an attack. Davutoğlu’s statement, which came after Turkey’s deadliest suicide bombing in Ankara on Oct. 10, sparked heavy criticism and raised the question of how it is that the government does not detain previously identified suicide bombers but that it leads police operations into philanthropic businessmen and detains them based on reasonable suspicion.

According to information acquired by Today’s Zaman, the 25 businessmen, who are known for their social activism and charity work among locals, were accused of being part of an illegal organization — the parallel structure — on the grounds that they had “performed prayers together, eaten ice cream together at a pastry shop [that is open to public], had their iftar [fast-breaking dinner during Ramadan, the holy month of Islam] together at a restaurant.”

After they were released, as such activities could not constitute evidence, one of the businessmen, obviously distressed, spoke to the press in front of the police station on Friday and said: “A businessman cannot be detained for three days for going to a pastry shop; there is no such country. There is no such justice [system]. Cannot a businessman go to a pastry shop? I was held behind bars because of this, away from my children, my wife and my business.”

Many people in Turkey believe that by conducting such investigations and police operations into the so-called parallel structure, the AK Party government aims at intimidating and browbeating the sympathizers of the Gülen movement, also known as the Hizmet movement, which is inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen.

The term “parallel structure” was coined by the former AK Party chairman and current President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan in order to defame the Gülen movement so that he can carry out the unlawful fight against its sympathizers, accusing them of allegedly creating a parallel structure within the state. Erdoğan’s fight against the Gülen movement began when his inner circle was implicated by a graft probe that went public on Dec. 17, 2013 when he was serving as prime minister.

When four of his ministers were implicated for allegedly receiving a huge amount of money in bribes, the then-prime minister accused the Gülen movement of attempting but failing to overthrow his government through its supposed sympathizers within the police department and judiciary who were carrying out the investigations. Because Erdoğan was putting all of his efforts into protecting the four ministers, to the point of initiating a war against a civil movement that is not only admired in Turkey but that is praised globally, many people at the time suspected him of being part of the accused circle of high-level officials involved in bribery scandals. Later in 2014, the war on the Gülen movement intensified with voice recordings that were leaked from the corruption investigations’ file allegedly featuring Erdoğan’s voice ordering his son to dispose of a vast amount of cash.

Source: Today's Zaman , October 18, 2015


Related News

Hira magazine changes perception of Turkey in Arab world

The Arab world is impressed and touched by Fethullah Gülen’s recommendation that the name of the magazine would be Hira. In regards to the name, Savaş says: “Hira was born strong and mature; every issue features pieces from the Arab world. Every writer is renowned and is popular in his country.

Turkish Olympiads and achieving peace

ORHAN OĞUZ GÜRBÜZ A utopia ushers in a new era. We explore and take courageous actions thanks to our dreams of what is possible. Turkish colleges around the world are sponsored by entrepreneurs who are members of a movement in Turkey that has made serious progress in creating this utopia. If you describe languages, religions, […]

Gülen’s curse was misquoted, misinterpreted, GYV chief says

Mustafa Yeşil, chairman of the Journalists and Writers Foundation’s (GYV) executive board, in response to criticisms targeting prominent Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, said the curse uttered by Gülen did not have a direct reference and was poorly comprehended and highly manipulated by some who repeated it.

Al-Zuhayli says Gülen’s ideas hope of humanity

Leading Islamic scholar Al-Zuhayli said the ideas of well-respected Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen stand as a hope for humanity. Leading Islamic scholar Wahba Mustafa al-Zuhayli from Syria, a participant of the two-day “Prophet’s Path Symposium” held over the weekend, October 9and 10, 2010, said the ideas of well-respected Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen stand as a hope for humanity. […]

Police detain student over fingerprints on Gülen books

According to a report, the police were informed that books written by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen were thrown in the garbage by unidentified people in the Belediyeevleri neighborhood of the Canik district of Samsun province. After the investigation, fingerprints on the books were matched to those of A.E.A, a 22-year-old university student.

Gülen files criminal complaint over smear campaign

Gülen’s lawyer Nurallah Albayrak said Yusuf Ünal crossed beyond freedom of speech by launching defamation campaign against the Turkish Islamic scholar, attacking his personality.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

The Islamic case for a secular state

Kimse Yok Mu helps 2 mln people across the world during Ramadan

Kimse Yok Mu humanitarian aid organization makes it to top 100 NGOs

Turkey’s Main Opposition Party Reiterates In Report July 15 Was ‘Controlled’ Coup Attempt

The Turkey I no longer know

Turkey, The great purge – Four lives upturned by Erdogan’s ‘cleansing.’ Episode 1 – Asli

Closer look at empire of cleric accused in Turkey coup attempt

Copyright 2025 Hizmet News