Police raid Gülen-inspired prep schools in Erzurum

The police carried out raids early on Thursday on FEM prep schools. (Photo: Cihan)
The police carried out raids early on Thursday on FEM prep schools. (Photo: Cihan)


Date posted: August 15, 2015

In another government-orchestrated operation targeting the faith-based Gülen movement, popularly known as the Hizmet movement, police officers and inspectors from a number of ministries and government bodies carried out raids early on Thursday on FEM prep schools established by Hizmet volunteers in Erzurum.

The police officers from the Anti-smuggling and Organized Crime Unit were accompanied by inspectors from the Ministry of Finance, the Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Animal Husbandry, the fire department and the Social Security Institution (SGK). According to the Cihan news agency, Mehmet Güzel, a lawyer representing the FEM schools, was also present during the inspections.

Güzel said: “We object [to the raids and inspections] and we have issued a statement to this effect. These inspections are aimed at destroying these institutions’ ability to operate. These unlawful inspections are hurting and disappointing the people [of Turkey].”

In a similar move, Gülen-inspired private schools and exam preparation schools in Iğdır have been temporarily shut down as a result of an inspection carried out by auditors from the Iğdır Provincial Directorate for Education. The schools were closed down on charges including “carrying out unauthorized educational activities” and “the use of educational areas for other than their intended purpose.” The FEM prep school in the city will remain closed for one month, while the private İbrahim Avcı Elementary School was given a two-month ban.

Police officers and inspectors also conducted raids on Gülen-inspired schools in the Çanakkale and Niğde provinces early on Wednesday. Okan Yıldırım, a lawyer representing the Private Sungurbey Education Institutions in Niğde, told Cihan: “The inspections were carried out at the beginning of the registration period even though they could have been done at any time of the year, suggesting that they are not above board. When you bear in mind that [other] private schools in Niğde have not been inspected, it is clear that the inspections are out of the ordinary and ill-intentioned. As always, we went to great lengths to help the inspectors and, as always, our schools and company presented our records for inspection to those involved. We also saw that police officers were unnecessarily accompanying the commission established on the order of the governor’s office. Just as before, our schools have emerged from the inspections without a stain on our character.”

Stating that the inspections are exclusively targeting Gülen-inspired institutions, Private Sungurbey Education Institutions Chairman Ahmet Korkmaz told Cihan: “These inspections are follow-ups on previous inspections. Our company has no legal or administrative faults. We are clean; [our institutions] have done nothing wrong. Everyone can inspect us. We are only educating students.”

The raids are part of a nationwide crackdown on institutions and individuals sympathetic to the Gülen movement, which is inspired by the teachings of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen. President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has accused the Gülen movement of orchestrating a graft investigation that implicated him and his inner circle. The Gülen movement denies the charges. Since the allegations surfaced nearly two years ago, the authorities have escalated raids, shutting down or defaming institutions or individuals close to the movement.

Source: Today's Zaman , August 13, 2015


Related News

The Hizmet movement and participatory democracy

The Hizmet movement’s objections make an important contribution to the formation of participatory democracy in Turkey. So far, Turkish democracy was a game among political parties in the absence of a strong civil society and market actors.

Deputy PM denies profiling of citizens in gov’t, private sector

Sending messages on New Year’s Eve on his Twitter account, Parliament’s Constitutional Commission head and AK Party deputy Burhan Kuzu claimed that “an intelligence report that was submitted to the prime minister detailed a parallel structure within state,” adding that some 2,000 people’s names are listed in that report.

Toward a party state

At this point, the only thing Erdoğan can do is manufacture false charges and evidence against the Hizmet movement, which wouldn’t be persuasive. In a normal democratic state where the rule of law is cherished, there must be concrete evidence to press charges against anyone, and those so charged are presumed innocent until they are proven guilty. In a party state, however, imaginary charges are first voiced and then meddlesome public authorities manufacture crimes and criminals to fit those charges.

‘I see the Hizmet movement as the best expression of Islam’

The Prophet Muhammad said that, it is in the Quran, it says that, we are created in different societies, cultures and backgrounds as a challenge to come together and understand each other and to bring about peace.

Parallel vs. Persian structure within the Turkish state

Despite all these accusations, the Erdoğan government has not produced any evidence to substantiate his allegations of a parallel structure within the judiciary, police or any other state institution, nor of officials receiving orders from anywhere other than their own legal superiors, nor has he or his government brought any of these charges to court.

It is unfair, unjust and politically motivated to incriminate the Gulen Movement

As a reader of Gulen’s thinking and a keen observer of the movement, I am convinced that they are aware of the viability of multiple approaches to resolve our global issues as well as the locally troubling scenarios. So to accuse and incriminate a movement that is based on the Islamic notion of hizmet (service) of a coup to topple a civilian rule is unfair, unjust and politically motivated for all practical reasons.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Imam who lives in rural Pennsylvania arouses praise, concerns

Turkish minister: I would strangle Gülen supporters wherever I see them

Is Hizmet making a feint at Turkish Government?

Hate speech creates new opportunities for Hizmet movement

Textile firms expand $153 bln export industry at TUSKON meeting

A Rare Interview: Jamie Tarabay Meets Turkish Scholar Fethullah Gulen

Middle East’s Struggle for Democracy: Going Beyond Headlines

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News