Kanter: I was excluded from Turkey squad due to my beliefs

Enes Kanter. (Photo: Today's Zaman, Mehmet Yaman)
Enes Kanter. (Photo: Today's Zaman, Mehmet Yaman)


Date posted: June 25, 2015

Turkish basketball player Enes Kanter, who has made no secret of his links to the Gülen movement — a civil society group also known as the Hizmet movement that is inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen — has stated that he has been excluded from Turkey’s basketball team for the 2015 European Basketball Championship due to his beliefs.

Releasing a written statement late on Tuesday, Kanter said that he was not convinced by team coach Ergin Ataman’s statement to justify his decision to exclude him from the team. “Although I have been repeating my desire to wear the Turkish national team’s jersey over the past two years, the fact that I was not called up is very upsetting. The justifications for this decision are not convincing at all. There is only one reason: I was excluded due to my beliefs and political views,” Kanter noted.

Coach Ataman justified his decision to exclude Kanter at a press conference at İstanbul’s Abdi İpekçi Sports Hall on Tuesday by saying that he had twice tried to contact Kanter but the Turkish center did not return his call. The Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government launched a battle against the Hizmet movement in late 2013 following the exposure of a graft and bribery probe in which senior government members were implicated. Accusing the movement of having orchestrated the probe, the government has since waged a war on Hizmet-affiliated schools, banks, media organizations and individuals. Kantar is thought to have become the latest victim of the AK Party’s battle against the movement as he had previously revealed his links to the Hizmet movement, which preaches tolerance and interfaith dialogue between Islam and other religions.

Kanter, a 23-year-old basketball sensation who joined the Oklahoma City Thunder in February after almost four years at the Utah Jazz in the American National Basketball Association (NBA), said in his statement this week that even though he was not called up for the national team, he would support Turkey at the 2015 European Basketball Championship. “Now it is time for us to unite. Now we need to cast everything aside and support our team fully. Even though I am upset that the opportunity to serve the Turkish nation was taken away from me, we should focus on Turkey’s success in the championship,” Kanter said.

Veteran sports commentator Altan Tanrıkulu made a comparison in a piece published in the Zaman daily on Wednesday between the players who were included in the squad and Kanter. New Orleans Pelicans’ Ömer Aşık’s season average is two points and 7.3 rebounds per game and Detroit Pistons’ Ersan İlyasova has averaged 8.7 points and 4.3 rebounds over the last season. However, Kanter finished the last season with averages of 15.5 points and 8.9 rebounds, respectively.

Hundreds of Twitter users have also supported Kanter with the hashtag #EnesKantersMilliAyıp (National shame over Enes Kanter) and criticized Ataman on the grounds that he made the decision because Kanter has revealed his links to the Gülen movement.

Kantar, who was voted Most Valuable Player (MVP) in the 2009 FIBA Europe Under-18 Championship while leading Turkey’s junior national team to the bronze medal, has been accused of arbitrarily rejecting the national team in the past. A smear campaign was launched against Kanter after the national team lost warm-up games before the 2013 European Championship.

However, Kanter rejected accusations that he left the national basketball team in the lurch in the 2013 European Championship in Slovenia and the 2014 World Cup in Spain, stating that he has always been proud to serve the Turkish national team.

Source: Today's Zaman , June 24, 2015


Related News

Bilal Erdogan: Italy names Turkish president’s son in money laundering investigation allegedly connected to political corruption

Bilal Erdigan, son of the Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan, is under investigation in Italy for money laundering, in connection, it has been claimed, with the 2013 corruption scandal that rocked the Turkish political establishment. The Bologna public prosecutor has opened a file on Bilal Erdogan after a key opponent of the Turkish regime officially denounced the president’s son, alleging he brought in large amounts of money to Italy last September to be recycled.

Former Turkish officer at NATO: Coup attempt was never meant to succeed

A former Turkish officer who served at NATO headquarters in Brussels but was sacked and recalled to Turkey as part of an investigation into a failed coup on July 15 claims that the putsch was clumsily executed and never intended to bring down the government, but rather served President Erdoğan to eliminate his opponents.

91-year-old philanthropist targeted in witch-hunt operation in Erzurum passes away

A 91-year-old man, Alaattin Öksüz, who came to public attention in February when police officers attempted to detain him as part of an operation targeting the faith-based Gülen movement, has died.

12-year-old denied departure from Turkey for treatment in Cuba dies of cancer

A 12-year-old child has died of brain cancer several months after Turkish border agents seized his and his parents’ passports at İstanbul Atatürk Airport, causing the family to abandon their plans to receive cancer treatment in Cuba.

Turkey crackdown: deep unease in Fethullah Gulen’s home village

“They were a family of thinkers,” said a dairy farmer in the village who asked not to be named as he feared repercussions from the authorities. “They were good people. They came from nowhere, they had no water, nothing,” he says, pointing out the Gulen family’s former home, made from clay and rocks.

Ergun Poyraz to pay compensation for slandering Fethullah Gulen in his book

AYŞENUR PARILDAK Ergun Poyraz, defendant detainee of Ergenekon Trial, was fined for violating the rights of Fethullah Gulen, in his book “The Imam in America”. With the lawsuit that is filed by Orhan Erdemli, Gulen’s lawyer, Poyraz Publishing and Bizim Avrasya Publishing were sentenced to a total of 5 thousand Turkish Liras compensation. In Ergun […]

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Whistleblower says gov’t preparing to close down Gülen-inspired schools

Inmates claim torture in Turkish prison

Global education turns Turkish teachers into world citizens

Turkey rolls up sleeves to reach out to needy at home, abroad on Eid al-Adha

Ruling party stacks judiciary with “his” men

Turkish Deputy PM rules out ‘ill will’ against Gülen community, unveils prep school draft details

Executives of TUSKON call on Ghana GCCI

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News