Attacking the Journalists and Writers Foundation

Dr. Ihsan Yilmaz
Dr. Ihsan Yilmaz


Date posted: May 18, 2015

Last week, I wrote: “The AKP [Justice and Development Party] is planning to rig the elections by using state power. It is also trying to distort the real election agenda.

The Hizmet movement is a multi-task, multi-purpose tool for the AKP in this regard. The AKP only wants its voters to talk about ideological issues, not economic problems. Thus, it persists with its attacks on the Hizmet movement. Every day police officers attack offices of the movement’s civil society organizations. … To create the most impact, to steer the public away from talking about the opposition’s projects, the AKP may arrest hundreds of Hizmet volunteers, journalists, professors and civil activists of the Hizmet movement under terrorism and possibly even spying charges.”

Since I wrote those words, the pro-AKP media have launched a new campaign against one of Hizmet’s flagship organizations, the Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV). Speaking on the A Haber television station, which is run by President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s son-in-law, three commentators talked about an influential opposition member of Parliament. They linked her influential opposition to the existence of a sex tape involving her. On the show, Cemil Barlas, the son of columnist Mehmet Barlas, said that Meral Akşener, a Nationalist Movement Party (MHP) deputy and a deputy parliament speaker, is a very active critic of the AKP and asks if the reason for this is the existence of a sex tape. Instead of asking Barlas more, the show’s moderator instantly turns to Latif Erdoğan ???WHO IS THIS??? and asks him if he knows anything about Akşener’s personality. It is obvious that they have planned this episode. Erdoğan is very firm and clear. He says Akşener does have a sex tape, which includes indecent scenes that do not befit a lady. The commentator urges Erdoğan to continue and he says the information is based on concrete evidence. He also says that Akşener has been threatened by the Hizmet movement, which he says prepared the tape to force Akşener to continue to criticize the AKP.

Erdoğan later changed his story and said he has never seen the tape and that it was doctored. He also said that GYV Chairman Mustafa Yeşil offered to give him the tape several years ago. Yeşil denied this vehemently and his lawyer has filed a lawsuit. Many people have asked Erdoğan why he has not done or said anything if has was offered such a satanic thing. He has no answers, only more lies.

Then, Daily Sabah, which is also run by Erdoğan’s son-in-law, kept publishing stories based on Cem Küçük’s allegations that the GYV is the cosmic center of Hizmet’s terrorist and tape activities. Küçük, a notorious pro-AKP columnist with alleged links to the National Intelligence Organization (MİT), had been writing that the GYV is a spy center and that Hizmet gives top secret documents of the Turkish state to visiting CIA, MOSSAD and other spies in the foundation’s buildings. Before last week, these claims only appeared in his column. But at the start of last week, this idea started spreading to become big news for the Erdoğanist media. Since Fethullah Gülen is the honorary chair of the foundation, it seems that Erdoğan now takes this issue seriously. I will not be surprised if hundreds of police officers raid the foundations’ offices.

I am also one of the foundation’s board members. And being in their top list of columnists alongside my boss, Bülent Keneş, I am a little concerned (but not afraid) that the AKP may try to imprison all of the foundation’s members. We shall see.

On a final note, the Sabah daily has written that prosecutors have now opened a lawsuit against GYV Chair Mustafa Yeşil. What a surprise! It is Latif Erdoğan, Cemil Barlas and A Haber who smeared Akşener, but it is Yeşil who has to prove that he has done nothing wrong! I suggest that they must also open a lawsuit against Akşener. No one would be surprised.

Source: Today's Zaman , May 15, 2015


Related News

Samanyolu schools to sue 3 government officials over unlawful search warrant

Samanyolu Educational Institutions are preparing to file a criminal complaint against three government officials on charges of misconduct related to an unlawful warrant to inspect all private schools in Ankara through the end of the 2015-2016 academic year, Today’s Zaman has learned.

Thousands congregate in New York to share iftar joy

Thousands of people in Queens County, New York attended an iftar (fast-breaking meal) dinner held on Saturday evening.

The real issue is the National Security Council [in Turkey]

A recent report by the Taraf daily indicating that the National Security Council (MGK) had formed a plan to destroy the Gülen movement has sparked discussions. This is only natural, considering that the current political administration is known for its adherence to religious values. This report is huge news because the government failed to oppose the military in the MGK meeting.

Erdogan’s Changing Aspirations for Somalia

Somalia has been one of the centers to the world’s worst humanitarian crisis. The East African country has been crumbled for long years by many inextricable catastrophes including famine, drought, militancy and instability.

CHP leader says Erdoğan’s UN speech only served to promote Gülen movement

Republican People’s Party (CHP) leader Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu has criticized a speech delivered by Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan at a UN meeting on Tuesday in which he called on world leaders to take measures against the faith-based Gülen movement, saying that Erdoğan’s speech only served to promote the Gülen movement.

Erdoğan’s ‘enemies’ find sanctuary in Greece

“Until May 9th, the police in my home country [Turkey] tortured me,” he said. “On May 10th, the Greek police brought my children breakfast.”

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

RTÜK issues fines to intimidate Samanyolu TV

Turkey pledges to help rebuild Bosnia after floods

Women gather for UN development agenda in İstanbul

Fethullah Gülen speaks at UN

Schools Founded by Volunteers to Light the Way for the German Educational System

Survey shows Turkish gov’t seized at least $11 billion of company assets over Gülen links

Kosovo President: Arrest of Gulenists was wrong

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News