‘Erdoğan signed MGK decisions to curb Gülen movement that Ecevit resisted’


Date posted: May 14, 2015

Democratic Left Party (DSP) Chairman Masum Türker has said that controversial decisions made by the National Security Council (MGK) to curb the activities of the Gülen movement were ignored by former Prime Minister Bülent Ecevit in 2000 but signed by then-Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan on Aug. 25, 2004.

“Mr. Bülent Ecevit chose not to sign [into law] the decisions made by the MGK on the grounds that [the decisions] limited freedoms, but Mr. Erdoğan signed them. According to these documents, the Gülen movement [also known as the Hizmet movement and inspired by Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen], the Nur movement, the Kadiri movement, the Nakşi movement, the Süleymancılar community and many others were found guilty [of breaking the law]. In other words, those who created the [Justice and Development Party] AK Party were guilty. The Gülen movement is/was the first to notice that,” Türker said during a visit on Tuesday to the western province of Denizli as part of his party’s campaign ahead of the June 7 general election.

Türker’s claims were previously verified by a leaked two-page document that was published in the Taraf daily on Nov. 28, 2013. According to the document, the MGK decision was signed on Aug. 25, 2004 by then-Prime Minister Erdoğan, then-Foreign Minister Abdullah Gül, then-President Ahmet Necdet Sezer, Cabinet members, Chief of General Staff Gen. Hilmi Özkök, Land Forces Commander Gen. Aytaç Yalman, Naval Forces Commander Adm. Özden Örnek, Air Forces Commander Gen. İbrahim Fırtına and former Gendarmerie Commander Gen. Şener Eruygur.

The document, identified as MGK Decision No. 481, asked the government to develop an action plan to pursue the MGK’s recommendations and instructed the Prime Ministry Implementation and Monitoring Coordination Council (BUTKK) to coordinate the ministries and monitor whether the steps were being implemented.

The MGK’s decision also urged the Foreign Ministry, Interior Ministry and National Intelligence Organization (MİT) to closely monitor and report on the activities of the Gülen movement at home and abroad. It advises the government to instruct the Interior Ministry and Ministry of Education to investigate and monitor schools affiliated with the Gülen movement and report their activities to the BTK.

The MGK, which was seen as a shadow government, especially during the 1990s, is the highest state body created by the 1960 military coup. The military became part of the executive branch through the MGK, joining the president and a committee of ministers. It became the final authority in decisions on a wide range of issues, including law, the economy, education, rights and freedoms. Though its decisions were expressed as advice on paper, they were treated as direct orders by the government.

Türker also said that the government decided to close down prep schools — institutes known as “dershanes” that help Turkish students prepare for standardized high school and college entrance exams — in the year 2010 but kept it a secret until 2013.

In a surprise move, the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) decided in November 2013 to shut down the prep schools, stirring a massive debate. These schools, with their affordable fees, are regarded by middle and lower-income families to be an equalizing force when it comes to seeking a better education for their children. The AK Party’s bill was put to a vote and passed by Parliament on March 7, 2014, and signed into law by then-President Abdullah Gül on March 12. The law states that prep schools will be allowed to operate until Sept. 1, 2015, though some have already been pushed out of operation.

Source: Today's Zaman , May 13, 2015


Related News

Gulistan schools in Kosovo to continue education despite its abducted teachers

Gulistan Educational Institutions has declared that they will continue their activities despite their abducted teachers. 5 of their teachers were abducted by Turkish Intelligence Agency in cooperation with Kosovo’s intel agency, which shocked the global education community and protested in many countries including USA, Canada, and UK.

Students give International Turkish Olympiad a moving sendoff

İPEK ÜZÜM, İSTANBUL The 11th International Turkish Olympiad, a competition in which Turkish speakers from around the globe recite poetry, write essays and sing songs, wrapped up on Sunday with a ceremony at İstanbul’s Atatürk Olympic Stadium. Nearly 250,000 people attended the event. Students from 140 countries participated in this year’s 16-day Olympiad, fascinating local […]

Man abducted by Turkish intel exposes torture during 9-month enforced disappearance

Gökhan Türkmen, who was allegedly abducted by Turkish intelligence officers and kept in a non-official detention center for 271 days, has said he was tortured, subjected to severe threats and sexually harassed and abused during his enforced disappearance.

Berlin mayor accuses Turkey of waging war on Gulen supporters in Germany

“I was approached and asked by a Turkish government official, whether we would be prepared to critically confront the Gulen movement in Berlin,” Michael Müller, mayor premier of the state of Berlin, told the German newspaper Bild. “I rejected the idea and made it very clear that Turkish conflicts could not be waged in our city,” he added.

Father jailed over Gülen links, 6-months-old paralyzed baby left in intensive care

Y., the father of a 6-month-old disabled baby, was reportedly arrested almost three months ago over alleged links to the Gülen movement. The newly-born disabled baby has been left with the mother, who told the news portal that the baby underwent three expensive and crucial surgery in the past three months.

What Erdogan and Khomeini Have in Common

The Turkish secular elite who have long feared an Iranian-style theocracy in their own country may finally be seeing the worst of their fears come true. The widespread purges under President Recep Tayyip Erdogan following last month’s failed coup attempt against his government suggest the Turkish state is moving toward authoritarian Islamist rule of the sort that Iran introduced in 1979.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Pro-government Yeni Şafak daily fires critical columnist

Governmental Robbery – Armenian Deportation

Becoming a Dialogue Movement: What Can Dialogue Learn from Other Movements?

Samanyolu TV celebrates its 20th year

Gülen won’t change his stand, urges followers’ patience

Desmond Tutu commends Gulen inspired organization

The Guardian view on Turkey’s repression: stop this stalemate

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News