Aid organization head blasts terror probe

Kimse Yok Mu aid organization's chairman İsmail Cingöz (Photo: Cihan)
Kimse Yok Mu aid organization's chairman İsmail Cingöz (Photo: Cihan)


Date posted: April 25, 2015

The president of the Turkish charity Kimse Yok Mu (Is Anybody There) has criticized people who accuse the organization of engaging in terrorist activities.

Last week, Turkey was shocked by a terror investigation against Kimse Yok Mu (KYM). According to a statement by the Ankara Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office, the organization was being probed over its alleged involvement in terrorism during activities during Eid al-Adha.

In addition to attracting widespread public anger, the investigation also drew a rebuke from the KYM’s chairman, İsmail Cingöz, who called the probe a smear campaign. “To defame a non-governmental organization [NGO] that has done such good charitable work and that works for its nation heroically … To file a lawsuit against a charity on charges of membership of an armed terrorist organization … Even the cruelest person would not do something like that,” Cingöz said.

Listing the activities of the charity, Cingöz said: “The KYM was ranked among the 100 most active NGOs in the world by [Swiss non-profit group] Global Geneva. This is a first for Turkish NGOs. In its clean water projects, KYM has dug 2,130 wells in 19 different countries and helped some 5 million people improve their living standards. Building hospital complexes in five countries including Somalia, our foundation has been carrying out a host of international projects in the health sector. The number of people who have had cataract surgery alone has reached 33,000 and is expected to hit 60,000 by the end of this year.”

“The KYM has built dozens of orphanages in many countries including Burundi, the Philippines, Sudan and Chad and has provided a safe shelter for nearly 60,000 orphans. In addition, the KYM has constructed 36 schools across the globe and handed over the management control of them to either Turkey, the United Nations or local governments. … Our charity looks after 300,000 families — nearly 2 million individuals — in Turkey alone,” Cingöz said.

With its 210,000 volunteers, the KYM has been an advisory member of the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC), Cingöz added. The charity has been honored by the heads of states and parliaments of 80 countries, such as the US and the Philippines, for its activities.

Source: Today's Zaman , April 24, 2015


Related News

Gov’t cancels Kimse Yok Mu’s previously obtained permissions

Following an abrupt Cabinet decision to remove the status of public interest of Kimse Yok Mu, the largest volunteer and global aid organization based in Turkey, the government has also cancelled the charity’s previously obtained permissions to collect donation until the end of this year.

Dr. Soltes: Hizmet cares for Turkey and humanity

Antalya Intercultural Dialog Center (AKDIM) hosted a conference entitled “Implications of Global Rise of Democracy for Today from a Rumi Perspective” at Ramada Plaza Hotel, Antalya, Turkey. The keynote speakers were the US academic Dr. Ori Soltes and journalist-author Erkan Tufan Aytav.

Action plan put into operation against Hizmet, indictment reveals

The Action Plan to Fight Reactionaryism, which was exposed by the Taraf daily in 2009, details a military plan to destroy the image of the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) and faith-based Hizmet (Gülen) movement in the eyes of the public, play down the Ergenekon investigation.

Kanter: You need to know what is going on in Turkey

Question: You are being called a terrorist by Turkish government. What is your opinion on the widespread use of this term by the Government? Kanter: This is a term that many governments are using to scare people and get public support. No one likes terrorists — so if you brand your opponents as terrorists it’s easy to get support. The Turkish government has even accuses the US of being terrorist sponsors, they are a joke now.

Turkish Kimse Yok Mu volunteers staying months to help survivors

The members of Kimse Yok Mu Foundation were the first group among dozens of international humanitarian groups that have descended to Tacloban City, of Philippines, which bore the brunt of the world’s strongest typhoon recorded this year. Kimse Yok Mu Foundation was able to collect $2 million and was still receiving donations for Haiyan victims, said Kurkcu. The foundation was organized in 1999, just months after Turkey was hit by a devastating earthquake that killed more than 17,000 people.

Borough President Adams Celebrates Eid with Food Donation

With the city recently following up on it’s secular image by declaring Islamic and Chinese religious holidays for school children, so too is the Brooklyn Borough President following suit by recognizing the diversity in his borough.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Singing, poetry competitions of Turkish Olympiad held in İstanbul, Ankara

Turkey Has Stolen The Future Of A Medical Student From Uganda

From al-Qaeda to Amsterdam, from İstanbul to Pennsylvania

MGK plan in action

Erdogan’s hunt for Gülenists, at home and abroad, includes abductions, torture and disappearances

Turkey fails to channel money into industry: TUSKON

Turkish Cultural Center in West Haven hit with graffiti in wake of unrest

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News