Palestinian woman denied visa to Turkey for treatment, says Kimse Yok Mu official

Turkish Relief Organization Kimse Yok Mu presented battery-powered cars to physically handicapped Palestinians.
Turkish Relief Organization Kimse Yok Mu presented battery-powered cars to physically handicapped Palestinians.


Date posted: April 21, 2015

Harun Tokak, the Jerusalem office director of Turkish aid organization Kimse Yok Mu (Is Anyone There), said on Monday on a TV program that the charity was not allowed to bring a Palestinian woman to Turkey for medical treatment due to complicated visa requirements imposed on Palestinians by the Turkish government.

“Turkey does not impose visa requirement on Israeli citizens. But Palestinians are being subjected to strict visa requirements. A Palestinian needs to have a substantial amount of money in his bank account in order to get a visa. Most of them, naturally, cannot find this money. For instance, we wanted to bring a woman to Turkey for treatment, but she was denied a visa,” Tokak said on a live Bugün TV program on Monday night.

Tokak accused the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) officials of creating the image of being a friend to Palestine while they clandestinely create difficulties, even in instances that could save lives.

“What you hear [from AK Party officials] at party meetings and what is going on behind the scenes is different. They should not, at least, prevent us from helping those people in need,” he added.

Kimse Yok Mu, which has UN Economic and Social Council consultative status, is one of the charitable organizations that provides the most help to Palestinians. According to the charity’s official data, in the aftermath of the 2014 Israel-Gaza conflict, also known as Operation Protective Edge, during which almost 1,000 Palestinians were killed, the charity supplied aid to more than half a million people in the region. However, the AK Party government has recently extended an ongoing campaign targeting the faith-based Gülen movement, also known as the Hizmet movement, to Kimse Yok Mu, investigating its activities because the movement inspires the work of the aid organisation.

Tokak said that the organization is able to explain what each and every kuruş (cent) is spent on. Challenging the government by saying, “They can try us in any court they want,” Tokak underlined that despite a yearlong investigation into Kimse Yok Mu, the government has not been able to find a single piece of evidence pointing to fraud.

“We just laugh away those who accuse us of being a spy [organization] secretly working for Israel. I have been living in Jerusalem for two years. I love living there. But I am there for a duty: opening schools [and] hospitals in the Palestinian territories, helping those in need. Israel will never accept us. They have not so far and they never will in the future. But Jerusalem is currently under Israeli domination. Thus, all aid from Turkey must go through Israeli customs. We, therefore, get official permission from them and bring aid to Palestinians,” he said.

Greek journalist lashes out at terror probe into Kimse Yok Mu

Greek journalist Thomas Sideris has lashed out at a shocking investigation being conducted by the Ankara Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office against Kimse Yok Mu on charges of terrorism, defining the probe as “insolence.”

Speaking to Today’s Zaman on Monday, Sideris said that Kimse Yok Mu is being accused based on a baseless indictment as if it were a terrorist organization that has neither conscience nor complies with national and international law. “Those who read [Fethullah] Gülen’s writings can easily understand that he condemns all kinds of terrorism. The Hizmet movement promotes toleration and dialogue. In that sense, it is a worldwide movement. The accusations against Kimse Yok Mu are baseless and nonsense,” Sideris said.

The investigation into Kimse Yok Mu recently came to light after Ankara Chief Public Prosecutor Musa Yücel sent a subpoena to Kimse Yok Mu’s management asking the charity to send him information about the organization’s activities for Eid al-Adha (Feast of the Sacrifice). After receiving the request, the charity’s lawyers contacted the prosecutor’s office to learn the details of the investigation into Kimse Yok Mu. When the lawyers went to the Ankara Courthouse, they found that the investigation includes charges of being an “armed terrorist organization.” However, as the court had ordered that the details of the investigation remain confidential, the lawyers could not examine the contents of the investigation file.

Kimse Yok Mu, which is inspired by the teachings of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, has become a target in a battle launched by the AK Party government against the movement. Several pro-government media outlets are carrying out a smear campaign, with publications accusing the charity of engaging in illegal fundraising activities and other crimes. The government has accused the Hizmet movement of plotting against it; however there has been no evidence to support the claims and the movement denies the accusations.

Source: Today's Zaman , April 21, 2015


Related News

Turkish charity announces cooperation with German counterpart

ASYA, the disaster team of the Turkish charity Kimse Yok Mu, declared its cooperation with the German humanitarian organization I.S.A.R. with a press release on March 30.

Eid-al-Adha – Neighborhood Generosity

Capping off this weekend’s Eid al-Adha celebration observed by nearly 2 billion people around the world, the Turkish Cultural Center of Queens (TCCQ), a local non-profit, is giving back locally.

New Jersey Celebrates Turkic Day

New Jersey recognized prominent Turkic-American institutions based in the state on Thursday, such as the Peace Islands Institute, Embrace Relief Foundation and Pioneer Academy of Science, for their commitment to increase efforts in a wide range of fields, including education, philanthropy, business, medicine, art and science.

Kimse Yok Mu head: Council of State confirms charity’s transparency

According to İsmail Cingöz, president of the charity Kimse Yok Mu, the Council of State’s unanimous annulment of a recent Cabinet decision to rescind the charity’s right to collect donations confirms its institutional transparency, accountability and reliability.

Turkish charity Kimse Yok Mu drills 1,396 wells in Africa

A total of 1,396 wells have been drilled in 13 African countries since Nov. 1, 2014, as part of a project called “Selsebil Water Wells,” which was launched by Turkish charitable organization Kimse Yok Mu in 2011, in cooperation with Fatih University students and Genç-İz Academy Association members.

Multilingual singer Julie Slim breathes life into songs

“Music is transformational; it can transform you. It is a way of expression, it connects people, it can be a teaching and therapy tool, it makes people feel things they had not felt before,” Slim told Sunday’s Zaman in an exclusive interview ahead of her performance at Fatih University Conservatory’s Turkish music department.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

AKP deputy calls on Turkey’s religious officials to declare Gülen followers apostates

‘Selam: Bahara Yolculuk’: a true story on the big screen

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

10-year-old girl dies in traffic accident while on way to visit to imprisoned father

New York Times interviews Mr. Gulen

Sacrificing a legend for a shoebox*

Gulen Schools Fight Provokes New Tensions in Bosnia

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News