Gülen’s lawyer denies allegation of plot against Erdoğan’s daughter, calls it ’immoral slander’

President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan's daughter Sümeyye Erdoğan (C) and her brother Bilal Erdoğan (L) are seen during a meeting in Ankara on July 1, 2014. (Photo: Reuters)
President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan's daughter Sümeyye Erdoğan (C) and her brother Bilal Erdoğan (L) are seen during a meeting in Ankara on July 1, 2014. (Photo: Reuters)


Date posted: February 20, 2015

A lawyer for Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen categorically denied claims by pro-government newspapers that Gülen ordered the assassination of President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s daughter Sümeyye Erdoğan ahead of the June 7 general elections, calling the allegations “immoral slander” that he regrets even having to deny.

In a statement, Nurullah Albayrak said Star, Akşam and Güneş dailies published a slanderous article titled “Assassination order for Sümeyye” on Friday unjustly attributing this order to Gülen. “Those who slander are obligated to prove their slander,” he said.

“To be in power, to own newspapers and have unlimited access to public resources does not and should not give anyone the right to act in such a base manner,” Albayrak said. “We want the public to know that we feel ashamed to be forced to make such a statement about these despicable lies.”

The anonymous report in the three dailies alleged that the plan to assassinate Sümeyye Erdoğan was discovered through exposure of private messages between Twitter whistleblower account Fuat Avni, — which these dailies claim is held by journalist Emre Uslu — and a lawmaker from the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), Umut Oran. Uslu denies he is the owner of the Twitter account.

Albayrak said some media organizations have begun publishing “unbelievable scenarios” recently and that they continue to fabricate new lies even though they are constantly denied by everyone involved.

The Ankara public prosecutor’s office immediately launched an investigation into the claims of the planned assassination. The investigation will be conducted by the bureau in charge of investigating “crimes against constitutional order.”

“This nation has never seen unlawfulness, immorality and lies at such a level,” Albayrak said, accusing those who fabricate such a claim of having “no sense of law, piety, morality and conscience.”

Source: Today's Zaman , February 20, 2015


Related News

Exclusive: Turkey, Kosovo violated fundamental rights of expelled teachers, UN body says

The UN group called on Ankara to release the six individuals immediately, and the Turkish and Kosovar governments to accord the victims an enforceable right to compensation and other reparations, in accordance with international law.

HRW: 6 Turks taken from Kosovo to Turkey face risk of torture and abuse

Kenneth Roth, executive director of Human Rights Watch, on Saturday tweeted that six Turkish nationals who were arrested by Kosovar police on Thursday and apparently spirited out of the country by Turkish intelligence later in the day would face the risk of torture and abuse in Turkey.

Victims of forced disappearance in Turkey

On this ‘International day of the victims of enforced disappearances’ (August 30), let’s raise our voices for the missing people of Turkey. In the aftermath of the coup attempt last year, at least thirteen people have been abducted allegedly by elements linked to the Turkish government as part of an intimidation campaign targeting critics and opponents of Turkey’s president.

Toward an Islamic enlightenment

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, who has put forward an interpretation of Islam that advocates peace, democracy, secularism (in the sense of freedom of religion and conscience for all), science, education and a market economy, and who has supported interfaith dialogue and mutual understanding and respect for people of different ethnic and religious identities and lifestyles, has been the topic of much curiosity for native as well as foreign observers of Turkey.

Islamic scholar Gülen sues interior minister over coup accusation

“Making efforts to set people up against one another and stir hostility by expressing those words is a behavior morally unacceptable,” lawyer Nurullah Albayrak said.

Body of Turkish woman fleeing to Greece found weeks after boat capsized

Turkish authorities have found the body of Aslı Doğan, a Turkish woman who went missing after a refugee boat carrying eight people capsized in the river that marks the border of Turkey and Greece on Feb. 13, 2018.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Turkish-Jordanian relations discussed in Istanbul

What is wrong with the Western media?

Enes Kanter Foundation and Embrace Relief launches campaign for Hurricane Harvey victims and families

Ban Ki-moon (UN Secretary General) sent a message to IFLC

Book Review: A Hizmet Approach to Rooting out Violent Extremism

Call for paper for “International Family Policy Conference”

Graduation ceremony of Turkish School in Kenya

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News