Gülen’s lawyer: Pro-government media ignores ruling of Supreme Court of Appeals

Nurullah Albayrak, the lawyer representing Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, speaks to media in this file photo taken in July, 2014. (Photo: Today's Zaman, Ali Unal)
Nurullah Albayrak, the lawyer representing Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, speaks to media in this file photo taken in July, 2014. (Photo: Today's Zaman, Ali Unal)


Date posted: February 17, 2015

Nurullah Albayrak, the lawyer representing Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, said in a written statement on Monday that pro-government media outlets continue their false accusations about Gülen and members of the Gülen movement, pointing out that Gülen was acquitted in June 2008 of all allegations that had been leveled against him at that time.

Albayrak claimed that concrete evidence of a crime must be presented before labeling a person, group, community, religious sect or civil society organization as a terrorist organization as defined in law. He explained that Counterterrorism Law (TMK) No. 3713 defines terrorism as “Using force and violence by a person or by persons belonging to an organization with a view to changing the nature of the Republic.”

He stated that no one can be labeled a member of a terrorist organization on the grounds of a report or an indictment written purely on speculation without any evidence. He also indicated that there is not a single court decision declaring the members of the Gülen movement, also known as the Hizmet movement, a terrorist organization. He pointed out that similar accusations were aimed at Gülen back in 2007 when he was accused of wanting to change the secular structure of the Turkish Republic and establish a religious order. He was acquitted by the Ankara 11th Criminal Court, and this decision was later upheld by the Supreme Court of Appeals. According to Albayrak, it is unjust and against the law to call Gülen and the members of the Gülen movement “members of a terrorist organization.”

On Dec. 14, 2014, İstanbul Public Prosecutor Hasan Yılmaz, who is supervising an investigation that put Zaman daily Editor-in-Chief Ekrem Dumanlı and dozens of others into jail, requested an arrest warrant for Gülen as part of the operation targeting journalists, scriptwriters, producers and police officials. The İstanbul 1st Penal Court of Peace accepted the request — the prelude to a formal request for Gülen’s extradition from the US where he is living in self-imposed exile in Pennsylvania.

Rejecting any personal relations between Gülen and the arrested police officers, Albayrak said that presenting the police officers’ guns as evidence of participation in an armed terrorist organization when they are legally allowed to carry guns cannot be justified.

Source: Today's Zaman , February 16, 2015


Related News

Inmates claim torture in Turkish prison

John Dalhuisen, Europe Director for Amnesty International, said that reports of abuse, including beatings and rape while in detention, in Turkey, are extremely alarming.

A Case Study In How Lobbyists For Turkish Government Manipulate The American Media on Gulen Issue

Turkish news outlets lit up this weekend after a former Republican lawmaker published an op-ed at The Hill calling on the U.S. government to extradite Fethullah Gulen, an exiled Muslim cleric whose return to Turkey is an obsession for the NATO nation’s president, Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Kimse Yok Mu purchases houses for 11 Soma families

MUSTAFA KUŞEN / MANISA The Turkish charity Kimse Yok Mu (Is Anybody There) has financed the purchase of houses for the families of 11 miners who were among 301 killed in a mining disaster in the district of Soma in western Manisa province in May. On May 13 Turkey was shocked by an explosion and […]

Fethullah Gülen: ‘I don’t have any regrets’

You insist your movement is peaceful, not political. But multiple sources tell me that Hizmet has a dark side — where individuals are carefully groomed to enter government and related professions with the intent of an ultimate takeover. Is this true? If not, is it possible that these sorts of activities are happening without your knowledge?

To save itself, Turkish govt stabs hard-won democracy

“I don’t want to say that – but this is an executive coup over judiciary,” lawmaker Bal said. He noted that blaming the graft scandal on a “parallel state” – a phrase Erdogan often employs to describe his alleged opponents within the state – significantly damages Turkey’s reputation.

Fethullah Gülen’s Statement on the Shooting in Las Vegas, Nevada

Fethullah Gülen: “I am shocked and deeply saddened by the tragic mass shooting at a music festival in Las Vegas on Sunday night, that resulted in the deaths of more than 50 people and the wounding of more than 500.”

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

False reports on Bank Asya breach laws

Plot against Gülen movement in tatters as suspects confess to false testimony

Fountain’s Yeşilova: We believe human life and the universe are each a book to read

Turkish cleric calls for international body to examine coup charges

‘Hizmet conspiracy’ theories rejected at iftar hosted by Alevis

Defying Odds, Afghan Girl Gets Top Grades for University Entrance Exams

Kimse Yok Mu awarded in Davos

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News