No return from democracy, Zaman editor Dumanlı says under detention

Ekrem Dumanlı, the editor-in-chief of Turkey's most circulated paper, the Zaman daily, waves reporters as he leaves the Eyüp State Hospital. (Photo: DHA)
Ekrem Dumanlı, the editor-in-chief of Turkey's most circulated paper, the Zaman daily, waves reporters as he leaves the Eyüp State Hospital. (Photo: DHA)


Date posted: December 16, 2014

Ekrem Dumanlı, the editor-in-chief of Turkey’s most circulated paper, the Zaman daily, emphasized his strong belief in democracy on the third day of his detention in an unprecedented government-backed police crackdown.

Dumanlı and Samanyolu Broadcasting Group General Manager Hidayet Karaca, who were detained on Sunday along with 25 others in a police operation that targeted journalists, TV scriptwriters and former police officers, were referred to Eyüp State Hospital early on Tuesday for a medical check-up.

“[There is] no return from democracy,” Dumanlı said twice, when asked by journalists while he was leaving the hospital whether he has a message for the public, implying that Turkey should not take a step back on its journey toward democracy.

Dumanlı and Karaca were taken back to the İstanbul Police Department after their medical exams.

Dumanlı’s lawyer, Nazif Aktaş, stressed that his client was most likely referred to the hospital because his detention period has already expired. The detention period for Dumanlı and Karaca was extended for one more day, which is not customary, their lawyers said at a press conference in front of the İstanbul Police Department on Monday.

The Turkish public has been up in arms against the police crackdown, which has also drawn strong criticisms from the European Union, the US and the world’s leading human rights groups.

Freedom House, a US-based nongovernmental organization advocating democracy, political freedom and human rights, has said that the detention of prominent journalists from Zaman and the Samanyolu broadcasting group in Turkey appear to be “government retribution against journalists reporting on corruption and criticizing the government.” Freedom House called on the Turkish government to end the crackdown on free speech in Turkey.

Source: Today's Zaman , December 16, 2014


Related News

Saudi journalist with links to king visits Erdogan rival Gulen

In a post on Instagram, publisher of the London-based Elaph news site Othman al-Omeir, who is known for having strong relations with Saudi King Salman, told his followers that he was excited to be meeting such “an influential person in the Middle East” in reference to Gulen.

Michael Flynn, President Trump’s first national security adviser, was paid to investigate Fethullah Gulen during election campaign

Michael T. Flynn, President Trump’s first national security adviser, acted as a foreign agent representing the interests of Turkey’s government in exchange for more than $500,000 during last year’s campaign even as he was advising Mr. Trump. Mr. Flynn was assigned to investigate Fethullah Gulen, a Turkish cleric who lives in Pennsylvania.

Turkish PM Erdoğan’s chain of mistakes

“There are roads which must not be followed, armies which must be not be attacked, towns which must not be besieged, and positions which must not be contested.” Erdoğan’s most serious problem is this. Based on the fact that he has come out successful in every crisis he has encountered, he always uses the same strategy to overcome difficulties. I call this the “curse of winning every battle.”

PM continues war he already lost

If a statement appearing in the Cumhuriyet daily, where the prime minister was quoted as saying that the “money used [in corruption] belongs to the state, not the people” reflects the truth, then this is a clear acknowledgement of wrongdoing.

Parents seek TL 40,000 in damages for violation of students’ educational rights

Parents İsmail and Seval Topçuoğlu are seeking TL 40,000 in damages from the Education Ministry for violating students’ educational rights by adopting a new regulation about dershanes (prep schools), claiming it aims to bypass a top court’s ruling to annul a controversial law to close down the schools.

National Security Council intended to arrest Fethullah Gülen in 1997

2 September 2012 / TODAY’S ZAMAN, ISTANBUL Meral Akşener, a Nationalist Movement Party (MHP) deputy and vice president of Parliament, who was interior minister at the time of the Feb. 28 coup, claimed that The National Security Council (MGK) actually discussed a total of 24 decisions, which included the recitation of the call to prayer […]

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Cambodian PM congratulates students from Turkish high school on GENIUS Olympiad success

Remarks by Congressman Randy Weber (Representing Texas) at IFLC Washington DC

Rumi Forum Fellowship Program 2015

Tip of the iceberg

Woman detained over links to Gülen movement after giving birth

Land of Private high school declared green space

AK Party promises more despotism if it wins big in local polls

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News