Efforts to accuse Hizmet movement of conspiracy failed, says lawyer

Ömer Turanlı described Saturday's release of the five officers who were arrested in July as a sign of the government's failure to create a false perception among the public. (Photo: Today's Zaman)
Ömer Turanlı described Saturday's release of the five officers who were arrested in July as a sign of the government's failure to create a false perception among the public. (Photo: Today's Zaman)


Date posted: November 11, 2014

With the courts continuing to release police officers arrested in government-backed investigations, the lawyer of one of these officers says the court decisions have shown that the government is failing to demonstrate that the faith-based Hizmet movement was behind efforts to overthrow the government.

Speaking to reporters in front of Silivri Prison, one of the police officers’ lawyers, Ömer Turanlı, described Saturday’s release of five officers who were arrested in July after conducting a graft investigation into several ministers and dozens of pro-government businessmen as a sign of the government’s failure to create a false perception among the public that the Hizmet movement has been behind efforts to overthrow the government.

“The perception [operation] has died. The law will eventually prevail over the political authorities, power circles, decision committees or any other bodies,” Turanlı said.

Serkan Durmaz, Hacı Şerif Erikmen, Metin Güneş, Abdülkerim Anaçoğlu and Ebubekir Gül were released from Silivri Prison after İstanbul 1st Court of Peace Judge Bekir Altun ordered their release in a monthly evaluation of their situation under arrest. They were among 47 police officers arrested in late July as part of a government-backed operation against members of the police force.

Turanlı said the remaining 42 police officers should also be released. Reiterating that prosecutors have failed to prepare an indictment against the police officers, despite the fact that four months have passed since the start of the operation, the lawyer said the arrests are unlawful.

These operations against the police, which prosecutors say were launched after allegations of spying and illegal wiretapping, are widely believed to be an act of government revenge for a corruption investigation that went public on Dec. 17 of last year. The corruption investigation resulted in the detentions of dozens of people, including businessmen close to the government, senior bureaucrats and the sons of three ministers in office at the time.

The operations are widely seen to be targeting the faith-based Hizmet movement, which President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and some government officials refer to as a “parallel structure.”

Source: Today's Zaman , November 09, 2014


Related News

Woman detained along with 40-day-old baby while visiting jailed husband

Zehra Elbir, a former court clerk who was earlier dismissed from her job in the government’s post-coup purge of state institutions, was detained only 40 days after she gave birth to her second child during a visit to her husband in prison.

Lambsdorff: Turkish press intimidated, under pressure

A senior member of the European Parliament (EP), German Liberal Alexander Graf Lambsdorff, said the Turkish press is intimidated and under pressure, and also strongly criticized the new Internet law.

Society, not community!

Considering that the issue of “the Community” has been discussed extensively, I would like to make a humble contribution to this matter. Most of the arguments raised on this matter have been wrong or unfair. Those who raise these arguments have little knowledge of the cultural atmosphere and the emotions of the members of this […]

Turkish PM acknowledges phone call to media executive

Turkey’s mainstream media has been under constant fire since last year’s Gezi Park protests and the recent graft probes for yielding to political pressure from the government.

Operation against whom?

A claim made this past weekend by Hüseyin Gülerce, a senior columnist for the Zaman daily, affiliated with the Gülen (Hizmet) movement, increased tensions in Ankara when he suggested that a major operation will be carried out by the government against the Gülen movement, which it believes to be behind the graft investigation.

London-Based Turkish Academic To Run 10,000 Meters To Raise Fund For Purge Victims In Turkey

İsmail Sezgin, a London-based Turkish academic has tweeted on Tuesday that he will run a total of 10,000 meters in support of the families hit by an ongoing purge by the Turkish government. Releasing a statement on moneygiving.com, Sezgin said that he aims at raising a fund of 10 thousand pounds to help purge-victim families in Turkey.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Middle East’s Struggle for Democracy: Going Beyond Headlines

Kimse Yok Mu chair Cingöz: Everyone feels some type of oppression in Turkey

Why Is A Cleric In The Poconos Accused Of Fomenting Turkey’s Coup Attempt?

The engagement and integration to the larger society is very crucial for Muslims

Gülen interview received high praise from intellectuals, NGOs, politicians

Cancer patient arrested over Gülen links shortly after surgery

Kimse Yok Mu opens school in Afghanistan

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News