100,000 blankets campaign by Turkish-American groups in US media

Former Purcellville mayor Robert W. Lazaro and Loudoun Board of Supervisors Chairman Scott K. York (center background, both in glasses) at a refugee camp in Turkey, handing out blankets collected last fall. (Courtesy of Northern Virginia Regional Commission)
Former Purcellville mayor Robert W. Lazaro and Loudoun Board of Supervisors Chairman Scott K. York (center background, both in glasses) at a refugee camp in Turkey, handing out blankets collected last fall. (Courtesy of Northern Virginia Regional Commission)


Date posted: November 10, 2014

A group of civil society groups, including Turkish-American charity organizations, and local officials in Northern Virginia have collected 100,000 blankets for Syrian refugees in Turkey as winter is fast approaching, The Washington Post reported on Wednesday.

The Cihan news agency, which quoted from The Washington Post, reported that Embrace Relief, a sister charity organization of Kimse Yok Mu (Is Anybody There), along with the American Turkish Friendship Association (ATFA) and a number of municipalities in Northern Virginia collected blanket donations for Syrians in refugee camps in Turkey’s border provinces.

“Officials in Loudoun and Fairfax counties organized the first blanket drive last year after several local politicians, including Loudoun County Board of Supervisors Chairman Scott K. York and former Purcellville mayor Robert W. Lazaro, visited a refugee camp in Turkey and said that they were profoundly affected by what they saw: Thousands of Syrian refugees, many of them children, all crowded together in a sea of small tents,” The Washington Post wrote.

The report by Cihan also emphasized that the mayors decided to kick off such an initiative after they paid a visit to several refugee camps in Adana province last year and meeting with representatives of Kimse Yok Mu.

The Washington Post noted that the same charity groups and local officials had started a similar campaign last year and collected 18,000 blankets for the refugees.

Source: Cihan , November 7, 2014


Related News

Gov’t cancels Kimse Yok Mu’s previously obtained permissions

Following an abrupt Cabinet decision to remove the status of public interest of Kimse Yok Mu, the largest volunteer and global aid organization based in Turkey, the government has also cancelled the charity’s previously obtained permissions to collect donation until the end of this year.

Kimse Yok Mu hosts international experts for social media benefits conference

The Kimse Yok Mu (Is Anyone There?) Foundation hosted an international conference titled “Social Media for Good” in Istanbul on Friday, drawing a wide range of international experts in journalism and social media to discuss ways of making positive contributions via the Internet.

Fresh political raids targets leading Turkish NGO Kimse Yok Mu

Police teams from the Anti-Smuggling and Organized Crime division stormed the office of UN member NGO Kimse Yok Mu’s branch in Turkey’s northwestern province of Kocaeli on Wednesday in the latest political raid to sweep the country.

Kimse Yok Mu extends help to thousands in Palestine

Turkish charity organization Kimse Yok Mu (Is Anybody There) continues to bind up wounds in Palestine with delivery of aid boxes to thousands of people in the country.

100,000 blankets campaign by Turkish-American groups in US media

“Officials in Loudoun and Fairfax counties organized the first blanket drive last year after several local politicians, including Loudoun County Board of Supervisors Chairman Scott K. York and former Purcellville mayor Robert W. Lazaro, visited a refugee camp in Turkey and said that they were profoundly affected by what they saw: Thousands of Syrian refugees, many of them children, all crowded together in a sea of small tents,” The Washington Post wrote.

Australian Relief Organisation runs 2017 qurban campaign

Australian Relief Organisation (ARO) is running its 2017 Qurban Appeal at present. Qurbans are valued at $120 and qurban donations will be distributed to the needy locals across Philippines and Sri Lanka.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

I Weep For Turkey

Gulen: Dervish of our times

In Houston, a celebration: Silk road festival

Police officer reassigned for attending dershane picnic

WikiLeaks reveals emails from the son-in-law of President Erdogan, ‘proving his connection to ISIS operation smuggling oil into Turkey’

Victims of Erdogan’s witch-hunt and purge get their voice heard

Plan to finish off the Hizmet movement

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News