Kimse Yok Mu opens school for Syrian children

Turkey's UN-affiliated aid organization Kimse Yok Mu
Turkey's UN-affiliated aid organization Kimse Yok Mu


Date posted: November 8, 2014

Turkey’s UN-affiliated aid organization Kimse Yok Mu inaugurated a school in the northern Iraqi city of Arbil on Friday that will provide education to the children of Syrian refugees.

In accordance with a protocol signed between the Arbil Governorate and the aid organization in November, the school, which has 12 classrooms and 1,000 square meters of space, was built in the region of the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) for refugees who fled Syria. The school will be administered under the Arbil Governorate, according to information obtained from the Ankara office of Kimse Yok Mu.

Kimse Yok Mu provided educational support for 1,150 Syrian children in Turkey during the 2013-14 academic year and continues to provide the students with school supplies.

The Turkish aid organization and the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) jointly initiated a financial assistance project in January whereby TL 3.5 million ($1.5 million) was distributed to 2,900 Syrian families — or some 17,000 people — most of whom are women and children who fled the civil war in Syria and sought refuge in Turkey.

The total amount of financial aid provided by Kimse Yok Mu to Syrian refugees is currently around TL 67 million.

The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) March 2014 report says women and children have suffered most from the turmoil in Syria. According to the report, 5.5 million children were affected by the crisis and 10,000 children lost their lives. The report also says 8,000 children reached the borders without their parents, while 3 million children currently do not have access to education.

In October, the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government decided to revoke the charity’s permission to collect donations for the remainder of this year. This was then followed by another decision to limit Kimse Yok Mu’s right to collect donations by requiring permission from authorities in advance of fundraising efforts and blocking the organization’s bank accounts.

Despite the latest step in the Turkish government’s crackdown on Kimse Yok Mu, in which two banks blocked the organization’s accounts, administrators for the charity have said they are still able to collect money through their other accounts.

Source: Today's Zaman , November 7, 2014


Related News

Kimse Yok Mu working to resolve water problem in Africa

MEHMET TAYANÇ, ISTANBUL Numerous Turkish aid foundations are working to resolve Africa’s long-standing water supply problem by digging wells in various countries across the continent, with over 1,500 sunk so far. Africa suffers from a lack of drinking water due to drought, which is common across the continent. Research being conducted into the issue shows […]

ARO has completed its first ‘Female Homeless Shelter Project’

Australian Relief Organisation (ARO) has announced that its first ‘Female Homeless Shelter Project’ has been funded and required works for the shelter is now completed.

“Peace and Sustainable Development: A Two-Way Relationship” Panel

Mr. Huseyin Hurmali, Vice-President of the JWF emphasized and explained how civil initiatives inspired by scholar Fethullah Gulen have been contributing to both durable peace and sustainable development in about 160 countries around the world. Schools, universities and other educational institutions have been providing high quality science and mathematics education and also contributing to peace through becoming entities of “social mediation” in the regions of conflict.

Volunteers Back from Medical Service in Somalia

Volunteer doctors of BALSADER (Balikesir Health Volunteers Association) in cooperation with Kimse Yok Mu, TIKA (The Turkish International Cooperation and Development Agency), Agean International Health Federation, who were in Somalia as a part of “Somalia Medical Aid Project” are now back home in Balikesir. Otolaryngologists Dr. Huseyin Bali, ophthalmologist Dr. Saban Ugurlu, anesthesiologist Kasim Gurel provided […]

Thousands congregate in New York to share iftar joy

Thousands of people in Queens County, New York attended an iftar (fast-breaking meal) dinner held on Saturday evening.

Why Fethullah Gulen will never support a coup?

I consider that it is very illogical and unsubstantiated to blame a personality and implicitly the followers of his teachings for an action that is a potential source of a lot of human deaths, destruction and chaos. A similar philosophy of respect and love for everything due to their real Source, the Creator, could be one of our vital prescriptions that is essential against all types and sources of ferocity which we unfortunately witness in the world today.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Greater Jakarta: Students, parents protest Embassy’s statement

AK Party’s Islamism

Governmental Robbery – Armenian Deportation

Does the Gülen movement securitize the Kurdish question?

Opposition, diplomats slam gov’t attempt to shut down Turkish schools

They busted the house of a deceased teacher to take her under custody

The irrationality of demanding Turkish schools abroad be shut down

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News