Land tender won by TUSKON reopened in defiance of court decision

View from an Emlak Konut office in İstanbul. (Photo: Zaman)
View from an Emlak Konut office in İstanbul. (Photo: Zaman)


Date posted: October 28, 2014

The tender for a large parcel of land which was won by the Turkish Confederation of Businessmen and Industrialists (TUSKON) was reopened on Monday, despite a prior court decision barring such a move, according to a statement from the confederation on the same day.

TUSKON — a business confederation known for having ties to the Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen-inspired Hizmet movement — acquired the land in 2011 in a tender put out by the Finance Ministry, and agreed to rent it for 49 years at a price of TL 1.6 million per year. However, earlier this year, the Prime Ministry attempted to cancel the ongoing authorization process, which had already been extended on two occasions. A subsequent court decision resulted in a stay of execution which barred the cancellation of the process.

However, according to TUSKON’s statement, a new tender was opened for the 36,000-square-meter piece of land on Monday by Emlak Konut GYO — a subsidiary of the Housing Development Administration of Turkey (TOKİ) — in defiance of the court decision. A total of 13 companies participated in the first session of the tender process on Monday.

Unfortunately every day the law is broken, judicial decisions are not respected and the basic principles of democracy are being destroyed by those in power in this country,” said TUSKON in its statement. This development is the latest in a series of attempts by the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) to destroy the financial integrity of the Hizmet movement. Since corruption investigations that went public on Dec. 17 of last year, the government has attempted to portray the Hizmet movement as a “parallel state” that orchestrated the investigations to overthrow the government.

The corruption investigations have been halted and the government continues to go after the Hizmet movement. It has attempted to sink the Islamic lender Bank Asya, which is affiliated with the movement, and revoked the license of Hizmet-linked charity Kimse Yok Mu? (Is Anyone There?), thus preventing it from receiving donations.

Source: Today's Zaman , October 27, 2014


Related News

Erdoğan’s harsh, xenophobic rhetoric damages fight against Islamophobia

The increasingly punitive and xenophobic discourse adopted by President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan in recent years has done a huge disservice to the fight against Islamophobia, dealing a blow to the decades-long efforts of organizations such as the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) and the Hizmet movement in international forums.

Kids with Down syndrome suffer from major health problems in absence of jailed teacher father

M.O., a dismissed teacher and father of two kids with 92 and 98 percent disability ratings, has reportedly been kept in an Antalya prison for almost 4 months over alleged links to the Gülen movement. “We did not do anything wrong. My kids are 9 and 4 years old. We have no income, no job and no insurance. Nothing,” his wife said.

Don’t draw us into your family fight: Washington

The United States has told Ankara it has no any intention of getting involved into what it calls “a family fight,” denying conspiracy theories suggesting Washington’s role in the ongoing struggle between the government and the powerful Gülen community that has exploded with a new corruption probe. “Please don’t draw us into your family fight here. We don’t want one side or the other to feed this conspiracy idea that we are against the prime minister or against Fethullah Gülen Hocaefendi,”

Turkey’s recent view from the US

The way the AK Party has proposed new laws to increase government control over judges and prosecutors and how many investigations have slowed down have raised suspicions that the government might be trying to hide corruption. The censorship of Turkish media and the recent attempts to change laws about the Internet to easily increase censorship are raising concern.

The lethal and bitter aftermath of Turkey’s failed coup

The purge hurries Turkey on its way to what was already looking increasingly inevitable as its unfortunate destination: an illiberal executive presidency with a fading democratic lustre and Recep Tayyip Erdogan ruling more or less unchecked and unrivalled until he dies or steps down.

Scandalous return of Feb. 28

Hizmet movement lent full support to the AK Party in connection with critical issues such as the lawsuits against Ergenekon — a clandestine organization nested within the state trying to overthrow or manipulate the democratically elected government — and the e-memorandum of April 27, 2007.

Latest News

This notable Pocono resident has been living here in exile since 1999

Logistics companies seized over Gülen links sold in fast-track auction

That is Why the Turkish Government could Pay 1 Billion Euros

ECtHR rules Bulgaria violated rights of Turkish journalist who was deported despite seeking asylum

Fethullah Gülen’s Message of Condolences in the Wake of the Western European Floods

Pregnant woman kept in prison for 4 months over Gülen links despite regulations

Normalization of Abduction, Torture, and Death in Erdogan’s Turkey

Turkey’s Maarif Foundation illegally seized German-run school in Ethiopia, says manager

Failed 2016 coup was gov’t plot to purge Gülenists from state bodies, journalist claims

In Case You Missed It

Turkey After the July Coup Attempt – Alan Makovsky’s testimony before Committee on Foreign Affairs

Kimse Yok Mu to share perspectives at Clinton Global Initiative Annual Meeting

Abant tackles contentious issue of drafting new constitution

Fethullah Gulen: The Idea Architect

Exiled Turkish professor ‘leading US university’

Witch hunt against the Gülen followers in Europe

Prof. Ergil: Gülen is in general a very bashful person

Copyright 2021 Hizmet News