Gov’t’s hate campaign against Kimse Yok Mu draws condemnations

A Kimse Yok Mu volunteer hands out sacrificial meat to Somali refugees taking shelter in a Kenyan refugee camp on Eid al-Adha. (Photo: Sunday's Zaman)
A Kimse Yok Mu volunteer hands out sacrificial meat to Somali refugees taking shelter in a Kenyan refugee camp on Eid al-Adha. (Photo: Sunday's Zaman)


Date posted: October 6, 2014

ALİ ASLAN KILIÇ / ANKARA

Various segments of the society, including politicians, volunteers and legal experts, continue to express frustration at a recent government decision to remove the status of public interest of Kimse Yok Mu, the largest volunteer and global aid organization based in Turkey.

The decision rescinds the organization’s right to collect charitable donations.

According to critics, the decision is arbitrary and part of the government’s ongoing hate campaign against the Hizmet movement, one of the largest faith-based communities in Turkey. Kimse Yok Mu is influenced by Hizmet.

Kimse Yok Mu has already taken action against the government decision and filed three separate lawsuits. Organization’s lawyer, said some public officials, in reference to Cabinet members, have contributed to the government’s unlawful and anti-democratic decision against Kimse Yok Mu. Kimse Yok Mu have appealed to the Council of State for a stay of execution for the decision. In addition, the organization have filed lawsuits against Interior Minister Efkan Ala and some Cabinet members as well as some media organs that have been producing false stories about Kimse Yok Mu. The organization seeks TL 1.1 million for damages as part of the lawsuits.

Last week, the Taraf daily ran a story arguing that the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government planned to remove Kimse Yok Mu’s public interest status, which would prevent it from collecting donations. The report indicated that the proposal was pending with the Cabinet and it was expected to take effect after being published in the Official Gazette following the Eid al-Adha holiday, which will begin on Saturday.

However, the decision came even before the holiday, when the group might ordinarily expect to collect a considerable amount of donations. İsmail Cingöz, the president of Kimse Yok Mu, announced the Cabinet decision via his official Twitter account on Thursday.

Kimse Yok Mu is the only aid organization in Turkey that holds UN Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) special consultative status, and it began to develop internationally recognized relief programs in partnership with the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) in 2013. It was also awarded the Turkish Grand National Assembly Outstanding Service Award in 2013, under AK Party rule.
However, a campaign to smear the organization was launched after the Dec. 17, 2013 government corruption investigation of leading AK Party figures became public. President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, who was previously prime minister and AK Party chairman, has targeted Kimse Yok Mu, which is affiliated with the Hizmet movement due to an apparent government grudge against the grassroots Hizmet movement which it holds responsible for the corruption investigation.

The president of the Law and Life Association, lawyer Mehmet Kasap, said the decision to remove the status of public interest against Kimse Yok Mu is arbitrary and not transparent. “The decision has no noteworthy legal grounds. And it is unlawful for this reason,” he noted.

Kasap also said the deputy prime minister has placed himself in a dire position due to his statement prior to making public the government decision against Kimse Yok Mu. “There are a few possibilities. Arınç either does not know [the content of documents of] what he undersigns or he does not have an idea of what is discussed in the Cabinet. Or he is openly lying.”

On Sept. 30, Bülent Arınç, who is also the government spokesperson, told the media that there must be a legal ground to remove the status of public interest of Kimse Yok Mu, ruling out the possibility of arbitrary action against the organization. When asked by reporters if Cabinet has taken any action against the organizations so far, Arınç said he has not seen any document signed by ministers against the organization.

However, it emerged on Oct. 2 that Cabinet had made its decision against Kimse Yok Mu on Sept. 22 and a document was undersigned by Cabinet members, including Arınç, to certify the decision.

The activities of Kimse Yok Mu was closely audited by inspectors assigned by the Interior Ministry earlier this year and a report prepared by these inspectors, which made its way to the press last week, stated that not a single flaw was discovered in the organization’s activities. In their report, inspectors asked the ministry to allow Kimse Yok Mu to preserve its status of public interest and collect donations.

Nurettin Aktaş, a founding member of the ruling AK Party, said the government’s decision against Kimse Yok Mu stems from the government’s grudge against the Hizmet movement, which peaked after the corruption investigation of Dec. 17, 2013. “The [government’s] hostile attitude against the Community [Hizmet movement] has reached aid organizations,” he noted, adding: “They [government] have declared a war against Hizmet. It is not a proper attitude for a man of state and government members to make decisions due to a personal grudge. It will harm our country to prevent the activities of a charity organization.”

According to Aktaş, Kimse Yok Mu is an honest organization and its activities should be promoted and supported by the Turkish government and state. “This organization does not work for its own reputation. It makes the name of Turkey and the Turkish Republic heard in all corners of world. Its activities should not be stopped,” he said.

‘Arınç should resign’

Arınç’s apparently false statement about a Cabinet decision and Kimse Yok Mu has drawn the ire of the opposition’s leading figures.

Republican People’s Party (CHP) Chairman Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu said on Oct. 2 that Arınç’s statement led to concerns in the public that the deputy prime minister might have undersigned the Cabinet decision against Kimse Yok Mu without having seen the decision. “They [Cabinet members] may have undersigned a blank document [whose content was later filled in.] God knows how many such documents Arınç undersigned. He either undersigned the document [against Kimse Yok Mu] without seeing its content or he lied to the people. He is the government’s spokesperson. He should quit his seat after this scandalous statement,” Kılıçdaroğlu noted.

Veteran politician Mehmet Bekaroğlu, a CHP deputy chairman, said he was saddened by the position Arınç placed himself in developments regarding Kimse Yok Mu. “Arınç is an outspoken politician. Indeed, I am saddened by the position he has found himself now.”

‘Turkey losing achievements due to AK Party’

Nationalist Movement Party (MHP) Deputy Chairwoman Ruhsar Demirel believes Turkey is losing the democratic achievements it has made recently due to the AK Party’s growing suppressive policies. She said the state should stand on an equal distance to all individuals and faith groups and added that the decision against Kimse Yok Mu is reminiscent of some anti-democratic practices of the Feb. 28, 1997 coup era.

“The [AK Party] government has been making concessions on democratic values and achievements,” she said. She also said it is unwise for state officials to make decisions against freedoms and rights.

Demirel also believes that Arınç’s statement about Kimse Yok Mu and a Cabinet decision against the organization that came despite the said statement have made the legitimacy of the government contestable. “Is there a mechanism [or person] that makes decisions despite the Cabinet?” she asked.

Source: Today's Zaman , October 4, 2014


Related News

What does religion have to do with corruption?

The ongoing graft investigation, which hit the press on Dec. 17 with a major police operation resulting in the arrest of 24 suspects — including prominent business figures and the sons of two ministers — sparked a public discussion on the links between politics and Islam, as a majority of the members of the ruling party present themselves as devout Muslims.

Turkish Olympiad students visit top level gov’t officials in Ankara

İPEK ÜZÜM, ANKARA Students coming from all round the world to participate in the 11th International Turkish Olympiad, a festival that celebrates the Turkish language and which this year brought together 2,000 students from 140 countries, visited the Ankara Governor and the ministers of energy and EU affairs in Ankara on Tuesday. A group of […]

Criminal complaint filed against prosecutor accusing Hizmet of being terrorist

A criminal complaint has been filed against Ankara public prosecutor Serdar Coşkun, who prepared an indictment in which by using false testimonies as evidence he accused several people of conducting organized crime under the Hizmet movement which he claimed to be a terrorist organization.

Opposition asks for parliamentary session on MİT wiretapping

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen will file a criminal complaint against those responsible for the illegal wiretapping of his phone conversations, Gülen’s lawyer Nurullah Albayrak said in a written statement on Tuesday.
Main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) İstanbul deputy Ferit Mevlüt Aslanoğlu called for a parliamentary session to inform the deputies about the technical details of wiretapping.

Turkey’s Purge Could Cause a Massive Brain Drain

The purge by the Turkish government has led to the arrest of thousands, including many academics. In addition to the purge, the government has invoked military law, set curfews and limited social media.

Extraditing Gulen and other dark conspiracies

Despite his pressures, Turkish prosecutors have not agreed to write an indictment against Gulen. On the other hand, Gulen has already been tried in absentia between 1999-2008 for all the accusations now recycled and repeated by Erdogan. The Kemalist military establishment was very powerful at the time and they were almost in full control of the state but they still could not produce concrete evidence against Gulen.

Latest News

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

University refuses admission to woman jailed over Gülen links

In Case You Missed It

“They won’t believe,” he said

The recent fight between Kemalo-Islamism and Civil Islam

Fethullah Gülen’s Message of Condolences for the Death of Soccer Star, Diego Maradona

Let Mr. Erdogan Fight His Own Battles

Strange alignment of PKK and government against Hizmet

African Union and Kimse Yok Mu sign landmark agreement to further aid efforts in Africa

Koza Altın latest victim of government silencing political dissent

Copyright 2022 Hizmet News