Bank Asya sells stakes in 2 subsidiaries


Date posted: July 6, 2014

ISTANBUL

Leading Turkish Islamic lender Bank Asya has decided to sell its stakes in two subsidiaries for TL 132 million ($62 million), the bank said on Wednesday.In a statement to Borsa İstanbul (BIST), Bank Asya said it is selling a 24.18 percent stake in Turkish construction firm Tuna Gayrimenkul for TL 62.8 million. The bank also said it is selling another construction company, Nil Yönetim Hizmetleri, for TL 69.25 million. The bank owned all shares in Nil. At the beginning of June, the bank said it planned on selling its subsidiaries. The move comes amid efforts of Bank Asya to raise capital.

In related international deals Qatar Islamic Bank (QIB) said in March that it had entered into exclusive talks to buy a stake in Asya without giving further details except to say that it hoped to conclude the deal within the next few months. On Wednesday Reuters cited four sources close to the matter as saying that QIB and Bank Asya have ended exclusive talks over QIB acquiring a stake in the Turkish lender, with valuation concerns said to be behind the decision.

Turkish state bank Ziraat may now be the most likely partner for Bank Asya, but the two banks have not officially begun talks, three of the sources told Reuters.

“Talks with QIB have finished. Bank Asya has been going through tough times since Dec. 17. They are in talks with Ziraat,” one source close to the deal said. It was not clear what size stake had been under discussion. The Qatari lender didn’t respond to a request for comment. Bank Asya and Ziraat also declined to comment.

The talks with QIB faltered after the banks failed to agree on a price, the sources said. Turkish banks are a natural target as Qatari banks expand overseas, but price has become a highly sensitive issue after the state’s second-biggest bank by assets, the Commercial Bank of Qatar, was seen overpaying last year to acquire a 70.8 percent stake in Turkey’s Alternatifbank.

Source: Todays Zaman , June 2, 2014


Related News

Now it is time to answer

All Cemaat did was to oppose to the closing of test-preparation centers… The corruption investigation that erupted after, is billed to Cemaat by the PM himself.

Turkish Olympiad raises hopes for world peace

İPEK ÜZÜM, İSTANBUL Students who have arrived in Turkey from countries around the world for the 11th International Turkish Olympiad, which is a festival that celebrates the Turkish language and has brought together 2,000 students from 140 different countries this year, are building strong ties and lasting friendships and in turn raising hopes for world […]

Investigation into journalist over MGK, MİT revelations blow to free press

A prompt investigation launched against journalist Mehmet Baransu for reporting on a confidential National Security Council document that mentioned a planned crackdown on faith-based groups in the country has been met with harsh criticism by Turkish and foreign journalist associations. “It is the responsibility of a journalist to report on issues that directly concern the people,” stated Committee to Protect Journalists Executive Director Joel Simon, when speaking to the Cihan news agency.

Gülen says abusive language to cover up sins is hypocrisy

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has strongly criticized abusive language and remarks within pro-government circles insulting members of the Hizmet movement, saying this kind of behavior is hypocritical and is being employed to cover up their own sins.

A Very Predictable Coup?

First of all, though it is not a major issue, none of us believes that Gulen was behind the coup. It is convenient for Erdogan to blame his principal opponent because it will facilitate the arrests of any and all opponents not linked to the actual coup by claiming that they are Gulenists.

73-year-old says looking after grandchildren as daughter, son-in-law behind bars

The 73-year-old mother of jailed teacher, Ayşe Çakır, says she has been left to look after her grandchildren after the government imprisoned her daughter as well as the son-in-law.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Turkish Review launched in UK with ceremony at House of Lords

Woman gave birth while in detention, handcuffed to bed by police

Hizmet Movement’s Responsibility

Philippine House speaker receives Turkish school delegation

Did Turkey Really Save Democracy On July 15?

Turkey: Effort to Force Closure of Gülen Schools Falling Flat in Eurasia

21 NGO’s Address President to Grant Refugee Status to Mustafa Emre Çabuk in Georgia

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News